Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Love the Goldfish, hate the water....

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I watch my son play football, and they are coached to play lovely triangles and passing, and they can all do fancy flicks and turns and it’s good to want him. However, I know my 12 year old self and old team would wipe the floor with them, as we would play Wimbledon style aggressive route one and press from goal kicks and destroy them. Which in some respects is rather sad.
Bit harsh to go all Vinnie Jones on your own son :lolol:
Seriously though, at that level (assuming none of the players concerned actually turn/turned out to be world class) anybody can win by just kicking the other team up the arse if they're allowed to play that way.
For what it's worth (and this is comparing the 60s to the 00s, rather than 70s to now) me and my friends would definitely have thrashed my Dad and his at age 12. Though to be fair, I am about a foot taller than him. And actually enjoyed football.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I get the general sentiment because football is changing into something different and becoming less and less connected to – and important to – the hardcore fans who fill the stadiums. But I also think that, through a specific chain of events, fans are looking at this situation under a microscope, whereas I'm more inclined to look at the bigger picture.

In 10, 20 and certainly 50 years' time, the past few months will be a minor blip on the club's history. NO WAY does it compare with losing the club's home, risking going out of the league and/or business or even getting to the Premier League. This isn't meant to be a 'perspective'-type post, but teams lose managers and staff all the time. They are replaced and everyone else moves on. Same with players. I'm guessing the calmest people connected with the club right now are TB and PB, because they have the information and plans to enable the club to carry on with minimal disruption.

Personally, I cannot wait to get Saturday out of the way, so it brings an end to the endless rambling about the reception that Potter and co get and the hand-wringing about Chelsea 'asset-stripping' the club. I mean, really? Asset-stripping? Come on!

Yes, I've probably got an outlook on football and the Albion that some 'proper' fans don't agree with or even attempt to understand. But I also recognise that – as has been demonstrated recently – if you let it get under your skin THAT much, it's not good for your mental or physical health.

I get the passion – I even get the 'need' to boo people when they come back – but I also get that when we look back to these months in, say 2042, some fans will struggle to even remember the 'turmoil' that a former manager apparently caused.

Totally get the thing about VAR, though. That is one failed experiment that needs to be consigned to the bin.
You're right, asset stripping is a inappropriate term. Asset stripping is what Archer did in selling off the Goldstone for 8m and keeping that money for himself. What Chelsea have done is bought a few of our assets, for the overinflated price of around 85m in total. The balance sheet will show a net gain of around 71m.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Would anyone really want to swap yesterday’s drama for championship hoof ball? We’ve down the lower leagues to death it’s not that great apart from POTG.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here