Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Love for the FA Cup- Is it a generational thing?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Same here, blanket coverage on both channels (yes kids there were only two and the third, BBC2 was too posh for that sort of thing) from around 0900, "Cup Final It's a Knockout" and all sort of tenuous light entertainment tie ins. Then the kick off at 1500, only other game on that day was the Scottish Cup Final and it was always on a Saturday.

And Cup Final Mastermind!!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
From Cup Final Grandstand 1983:

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I don't know whether it's a generational thing or just getting older. Use to love cup final day on the BBC. Watching the preview and build up from noon. You got a sense anyone could win the cup. Have great memories of watching finals like Palace V Man Utd, Spurs V Forest, Sunderland V Liverpool and Everton V Man Utd. It seemed to hold a certain magic and aura which is no longer there for me. Even with Wigan winning it last year it has lost its sparkle and I got no joy from seeing the underdog triumph. The last final I really enjoyed was West Ham v Liverpool.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
I'm 21, born in 1993. My first FA Cup final I ever watched was on TV at my grandparents when Arsenal beat Chelski 2-0. Think Lgungberg scored. Around 2003 I think. Absolutely loved it, thought the FA Cup was quality. They had the build up following the coaches from the hotel all day.

Loved it for a few years. Now it just infuriates me how poor it is and all the money in football etc etc etc /rant.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It used to be the only live game along with England v Scotland

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Why? Sky have had coverage of the FA cup before? And BT is more free than Sky will ever be!

I personally like the BT coverage and really dislike ITV's football coverage. Next season will be better with BT and BBC having coverage!

I don't think either should be involved with the FA Cup. I'm unclear as to why BT is more free than Sky though, can you elaborate in case I'm missing out. You pay a subscription for both, its just that BT is wrapped up in broadband for its subscribers.

EDIT - I dislike the ITV coverage as well......... Always opt for the Beeb when its on both sides.

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013
The first FA cup final I saw on TV was Arsenal vs Manchester United in 2005 (ish), a bore 0-0 draw, first albion FA cup tie I ever saw was a 2-1 defeat to Mansfield at a wetter than usual Withdean. Despite that I ruddy love the FA cup even if some managers (and players) seem to treat it as a being below them.

The fact of the matter is for all bar 4 or so teams it's the only chance there is of winning proper a piece of silverware (except the league cup but who really cares about that?).

D

Deleted member 18477

I don't think either should be involved with the FA Cup. I'm unclear as to why BT is more free than Sky though, can you elaborate in case I'm missing out. You pay a subscription for both, its just that BT is wrapped up in broadband for its subscribers.

EDIT - I dislike the ITV coverage as well......... Always opt for the Beeb when its on both sides.

Because a large majority of people have a broadband contract these days so if you pick BT you get the football free.

You get no sport free with a sky broadband contract. If you want sport through sky you have to pay a lot more than what BT charge for their broadband by purchasing Sky TV...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
First fa cup I went to was the 1971 cup final between Leeds and arsenal. Was taken by my dad and before I really understood rivalry between local teams, I was supporting a fellow yorkshire team. Brilliant day out and good game although it was a big occasion and I couldn't see the pitch for most of the game.

Worst one was the replay against manure which was one of the biggest anti climaxes ever.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I'm only 26 and still love the FA Cup. Brilliant competition, always drama and excitement and should be given more respect than it is (as should the League Cup). I'd prefer it to get you a place jn the Champions League if you win, but that's unlikely to ever happen.

Glad to see it's back as the end to the domestic season this year.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Because a large majority of people have a broadband contract these days so if you pick BT you get the football free.

You get no sport free with a sky broadband contract. If you want sport through sky you have to pay a lot more than what BT charge for their broadband by purchasing Sky TV...

But you get a lot more channels with Sky. It'll be interesting to see if BT are able to maintain the cost at this level, though the capture of the Champions League may help.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is the Manchester United opt out (1999?) that I think was pivotal.

I disagree. I think it was the Champions League, which made coming 4th in the Premiership "success"

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm 29 and I love the FA Cup.

From my POV, and setting aside the obvious financial side of things, I would far rather see the Albion lift the FA Cup at Wembley than win the Championship and be promoted.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Things that have ruined the FA Cup
1. Having semi finals at Wembley.
2. Man Utd pulling out of it.
3. Having other games on the same day.
4. Not having it as the last game of the season.
5. Changing the ko time.

Things to do to breath life back into it.

1. Have semis at neutral grounds.
2. Give the winners a Champions league spot(or runners up, if need be)
3. Last game of the season after the end of the prem.
4. Only game on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm.
5. Scrap pens in the final and have a replay.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I love the FA cup. But having the semis at wembley is pointless and defeats the object of the whole cup as clubs want to get to the final for the experience at wembley and also winning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here