Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lottery Winners + Work

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Just read about the Bus Drivers that won Euromillions. They have no plans to return to work even though they liked the job.

Surely the decent thing would be to return to work and work your notice, its unfair on a company to leave them in the lurch, especially when there are so many leaving at one time.

Stagecoach is a big company, i get that. Yet how they going to easily fill tweleve spots before they can recruit somebody else? Could lead to cancellations of buses etc.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I seem to remember when the lottery started, that some companies took out insurance in case a load of their workers walked out after big win - I doubt that happens any more. Having said that, I work in an office of 20 people - who basically make up the company - and about 17 of us are in a syndicate. Now if I won £1m , I probably wouldn't give up work, but if we won big-time, I bet most would and the company would be in big do-do.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Just read about the Bus Drivers that won Euromillions. They have no plans to return to work even though they liked the job.

Surely the decent thing would be to return to work and work your notice, its unfair on a company to leave them in the lurch, especially when there are so many leaving at one time.

Stagecoach is a big company, i get that. Yet how they going to easily fill tweleve spots before they can recruit somebody else? Could lead to cancellations of buses etc.
r
Not wishing to appear rude or anything but are you having a bubble with this. Who in there right mind would return to work with 3 mil in the bank. I for one would be driving down my bus route in the new motor shouting BUS WANKERS to all those waiting for my bus (which incidently isn't coming.):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I seem to remember when the lottery started, that some companies took out insurance in case a load of their workers walked out after big win - I doubt that happens any more. Having said that, I work in an office of 20 people - who basically make up the company - and about 17 of us are in a syndicate. Now if I won £1m , I probably wouldn't give up work, but if we won big-time, I bet most would and the company would be in big do-do.

The UK office of my part of our company employs SIX people. FOUR of us buy lotto tickets together. If we wno a million each, I wouldn't even come in to switch off the lights. The office would close for sure, and UK operations would be run from HO in Switzerland. It would simply not be possible for them to recruit the necessary skills and knowledge, to replace those four people.

Thing is, I often buy my own ticket too, and even if I won TEN million on that, I'd be at my desk Monday, to work my full two months notice - not through any loyalty to the company, but out of respect for my workmates here. If I won 100 million mind, I might give them a million each, and walk straight out.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

I'd imagine a company the size of stagecoach will have plenty of drivers to cover those not returning to work, in these tough economic times they'll have no problems.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
If i won anything over a million i'd aim never to work full time again but whether it was 1 million or 50 million i'd work my notice at work, it would be unfair on my colleagues to simply walk out.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
We're not allowed run syndicates in work unless they have enough people to make sure its unlikely they'd all leave - e.g. 10 people doing the Euromillions isn't allowed; 40-60 would be OK (except when its 150M, but they didn't stop it then) whereas 10 doing the domestic lottery is OK due to much lower prizes.

We did have someone win a decent enough amount last year on their own on a scratchcard so I suspect that's the entire luck for the company gone for a while anyway ;)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'd be straight on the phone to my boss to say thanks and everything but I will not be coming into work ever againg if I won anything more than 1 million pounds. Porbably wouldn't explain why accepting that I would get my P45 at some point.

If I won 100m + like hkfc would porbably give friends / work colleagues large amounts of money possible leading to closure of department.

In the current climate, would it be posible to live off 1m without working again? You obviously would have to be very frugal and not spend 500k on a house / 300k on a car etc.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If i won anything over a million i'd aim never to work full time again but whether it was 1 million or 50 million i'd work my notice at work, it would be unfair on my colleagues to simply walk out.

Depending on your individual state of affairs and age etc. I doubt most people could not afford to give up work on £1m and not work again - especially at the moment, with low investment rates.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If I won big I'd probably work for a while longer, then hand in my notice

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'd phone in and ask for a 3 day holiday ( to celebrate ). If they were reasonable and gave me it, I'd work my notice. If not, they wouldn't hear from me again after putting the phone down.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd phone in and ask for a 3 day holiday ( to celebrate ). If they were reasonable and gave me it, I'd work my notice. If not, they wouldn't hear from me again after putting the phone down.

This seems a pretty reasonable approach.

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell

Do you really think that they are wonderful employers?,If you ever had worked for stagecoach you would know what a bunch of wankers they are,yes like a lot of big plc's i know, you are just a number and care not a jot about you.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Having worked for a company that hit upon hard times before i know first hand how much loyalty a company would show me if it no longer needed me, therefore i wouldn't feel the slightest bit bad about leaving them in the lurch. The other guys in the department would understand, especially after their gifts arrived.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If I won enough to retire on, I probably wouldn't want it to be public knowledge, so would probably work a couple of weeks to put distance between the lottery win and handing in my notice, then would work the notice, hopefully with an understanding I could stop if they found my replacement sooner.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would absolutely continue working for the rest of my life REGARDLESS of the size win. I would just do what I LOVE as my work (music production).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here