Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lots of media talk backed by Institute Fiscal Studies that a 20% vat is coming

:ohmy:

But but how can any party go through an election campaign and not tell us that they will increase VAT. If this coalition does this it will again be another unbelievable lie to the electorate.

Lets forget about cleaning up parliament, just stick to your promises.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
They (the media) made it pretty clear when VAT was cut that it was inevitable would eventually be increased to an amount greater than 17.5% following the election, whoever won.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
They're also contemplating pulling some of the Olympic funding to cope with the over-all debt.

Have to say, love them or hate them [I'm with the latter] it does seem to make sense.

Many Conservatives denied this, Cameron denied it saying "lies and scares"..

I am sorry but at least Labour told us about the taxes they would introduce. Basically the NI (Jobs) tax.

This probably lost them votes.

An election was fought on the economy and taxation.

The Tories stated they had a coherent taxation policy and people voted for them.

Not to have within days a sneaky tax to be added and if this regressive tax tax won't cost jobs what will.

Back in 83 the Tories lied the about Vat and doubled it within days of office. I hope we don't get lied to again.
It cannot be justified.

They never ruled out increasing VAT and it was always going to happen.

Many Conservatives did.

Then it should have been part of the manisfesto. We not talking about a year later or 18 months but days!!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's interesting that people will blame the tories for the coming cuts and tax rises, when really they are just reacting to what labour has left them.

Remember that for every £4 that labour spent on services, one of them was borrowed and needed to be paid back in the future. Welcome to the future.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Yes buy Labour would raise NI, whilst the consertatives will stick VAT up and might even stick VAT on food, hitting those who earn the least hardest. But that's not exactly unexpected is it.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The irony is that the 'maifesto' that was presented yesterday actually has less substance in it than any of the 3 that the public voted on. It includes lots of new money from increasing the threshold (which could be offset by not having tax credits) but very little in terms of how to save/raise money.

Whoever 'won' would have to do this but the irony is that I dont think VAT was on labour's agenda whereas it clearly is with the coalition partners. The IFS have been questioning the Tory numbers for months (as I've posted on here previously) and actually said that labour's plans added up albeit they didn't address the deficit as quickly as they wished. So the voters were faced with one set of figures that balanced but left a deficit that was deeper for longer (Labour), one set that at least tackled the deficit in a credible way but had gaps (Lib Dem) and one that was deemed unworkable (Tory). Let's see which two of the latter gets implemented.

And whilst here - I couldn't help noticing that the coalition document referred to 'Labour's financial crisis' I assume that's different from the global one everybody else is suffering from? Or does Barack Obama blame Gordon Brown for theirs as well?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Many Conservatives denied this, Cameron denied it saying "lies and scares"..

I am sorry but at least Labour told us about the taxes they would introduce. Basically the NI (Jobs) tax.

This probably lost them votes.

An election was fought on the economy and taxation.

The Tories stated they had a coherent taxation policy and people voted for them.

Not to have within days a sneaky tax to be added and if this regressive tax tax won't cost jobs what will.

Back in 83 the Tories lied the about Vat and doubled it within days of office. I hope we don't get lied to again.
It cannot be justified.

This really is nonsense. It was well known by nearly everyone that all parties did not rule out the option to raise VAT to 20%, Labour, Conservatives or Liberal Democrat whomever won. It was an open secret and pretty obvious it was going to happen and it was a subject never brought up in any of the debates, because they pretty much all agreed that it HAD to happen.

Do you not realise that we as a country have to do something with the £166BN debt left after Labour's 13 years in charge. This is going to mean tax rises AND cuts and it is going to be very painful.

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
:ohmy:

But but how can any party go through an election campaign and not tell us that they will increase VAT. If this coalition does this it will again be another unbelievable lie to the electorate.

Lets forget about cleaning up parliament, just stick to your promises.

But when VAT was cut to 15% they were talking about a 20% rate after the election (whoever was in power)

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
No-one of any influence in any party said that they would rule out a VAT increase - it was a main thrust of questioning from Paxman et al before the election and every party refused to answer - it was going to happen whoever won the election. I agree though that someone should have broken the silence prior to the election as it would have forced the other parties to put confirm or deny. But then what are promises in manifestos or in interviews - Labour said in its 2005 manifesto that it wouldnt increase income tax - it did.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Could all those opposing the tax increase please understand that the Labour government have imposed on us the largest UK national defecit this country has seen in peacetime. The country currently has a national debt in excess of £2trillion. This includes personal, corporate and govt debt.

If we keep spending then we break, just like Greece.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here