Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lost the passion?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Is the whingingly entitled answer...
Fine margins in this league as we all know.

Our squad of players could easily have finished in the top ten this year. Sam Baldock and Solly March fit and firing throughout could reasonably be expected to have made a difference. Last season we poached, for a fee and wages, Charlton's best player - Dale Stephens.

We will "go again" next year. Aiming at the top six and very disappointed if outside top ten. Look at the other clubs in this league and say that is low ambition, or not worthy of our club, or something else equally ridiculous....

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Some people cope with change better than others, obvious statement I know. I think the OP's post is pretty well balanced, although I don't agree with it entirely. What hasn't helped it in terms of accusations of the superfan clique is the posts from a couple of the other central activists from the Gory Years, which to me read as either oversensitive (one doth protest too much) and slightly spiteful, or at least over cynical (towards Barber). What these fans did individually and collectively to save our club should never be forgotten, but they should also remember there were an army of 'foot soldiers' who provided the mass support and impact for the campaigns, the vast majority of whom never got the pats on the back from DK and Co, or their moment on the pitch being applauded, who at times feel a little embarrassed by some of the comments which, to newer fans, make everyone of that era look a bit precious. Please, just accept the fact that you were important, we all still love you for what you did, but that as much as there are things about the modern English game that suck (yes Attila, I'd love to have a more German model too) that not everything the 'suits' do is motivated by money or ulterior motives. The club is a much bigger family now, and thank you all for making that possible.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
FC Albion of Brighton & Hove?

Haven't the time to trawl through the whole thread, so my thoughts briefly:

I agree with many of Henfield One's sentiments, I have been watching The Albion since a small lad from 1969. I've watched plenty of seasons worse than this on the field. "One bad season" is not the issue for me and indeed many others. It goes far deeper than that. Off the field we have become something that myself and many others didn't think we would become. We always thought as a club we were 'different' and not a potential corporate monster. Were we naive to think this? Quite possibly. Many will say "football has changed" its the nature of the game these days. That may be the case, but it doesn't mean I/we have to like it or indeed, put up with it. So as a slight aside to the OP's posting.........

If enough people become disillusioned with the modern day BHAFC, could a splinter group of fans cut the ties to form AFC Brighton & Hove or FC Albion of Brighton or whatever name? Could it happen? Would it happen? I'm not advocating such a move as I believe there are enough non league clubs locally for those who are fed up with the modern professional game. A factor not lost on many local non league clubs. Whitehawk have a cheeky poster in The Swan aimed at those who feel that way. The likes of FCUM and AFC Wimbledon went back to square one and to this day are progressing. The formation of these two were for entirely different reasons of course, but the former could well be a template for those who became seriously disillusioned with the current setup.

What we would become should we ever reach The Premier League, I dread to think? I can't see Barber & Co making the same offer as Derby recently did, saying the would reduce ticket prices if promoted to The Premier League.

I haven't renewed next season. This isn't a case of "walking away after one bad season". Aside from cost and disillusionment with what we have become, work and domestic issue's make it hard to get to games. I will therefore pick and choose my games next season.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What hasn't helped it in terms of accusations of the superfan clique is the posts from a couple of the other central activists from the Gory Years, which to me read as either oversensitive (one doth protest too much) and slightly spiteful, or at least over cynical (towards Barber). What these fans did individually and collectively to save our club should never be forgotten, but they should also remember there were an army of 'foot soldiers' who provided the mass support and impact for the campaigns, the vast majority of whom never got the pats on the back from DK and Co, or their moment on the pitch being applauded, who at times feel a little embarrassed by some of the comments which, to newer fans, make everyone of that era look a bit precious.

Ah but you see there were only certain people who did so much more than anyone else who deserve the accolade.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sad that it has come to this sort of sniping

It is far more than just this sniping, even having a go at the Chief Executive for helping out with REMF.

The crux of the matter though is that it appears many including those who did one hell of a lot to campaign for the the Amex do not appear to like what they got which I find very strange as it was bleeding obvious to me what was going to happen once the Amex was built.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is far more than just this sniping, even having a go at the Chief Executive for helping out with REMF.

The crux of the matter though is that it appears many including those who did one hell of a lot to campaign for the the Amex do not appear to like what they got which I find very strange as it was bleeding obvious to me what was going to happen once the Amex was built.

I don't see anything wrong with questioning motives. Only a year ago we were told off by people on this board for questioning David Burke and urged to listen to his interview on Albion Roar (I'm not getting at the programme TLO & co) but he's now sacked and departed the club.
It's good to question everything and not take it on trust.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I don't see anything wrong with questioning motives. Only a year ago we were told off by people on this board for questioning David Burke and urged to listen to his interview on Albion Roar (I'm not getting at the programme TLO & co) but he's now sacked and departed the club.

I really do not see this as questioning motives but more an issue that what the club has evolved to is not what some people expected or wanted.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I really do not see this as questioning motives but more an issue that what the club has evolved to is not what some people expected or wanted.

Seems to me the club is still the benign entity we hoped it would be. The chairman is a through-and-through Albion fan, the chief executive actively engages with the fans and is happy to have a bucket of iced water tipped over his head in front on the North Stand, the club as a whole appears ready and willing to take on board any suggestions by the fanbase to improve the atmosphere/catering/transport etc. Of COURSE it's more impersonal and corporate, it has to be, due to the numbers involved, but on the whole I think the current set-up has made a pretty decent transition from the Withdean era. It's still our club, and although we all enjoy the occasional grumble, I think we all know deep down that things could be a whole lot worse.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What we would become should we ever reach The Premier League, I dread to think? I can't see Barber & Co making the same offer as Derby recently did, saying the would reduce ticket prices if promoted to The Premier League.

Why not ? Ticket revenue would become a far smaller percentage of overall income and they would have the flexibility to do this and the club have a record of listening to fans this season and making positive changes.
The club effectively admitted they would review (so i assume reduce) season ticket prices if we were relegated and have reduced them by half for 18-21 year olds this summer and frozen them overall.. And reduced them considerably for anybody who lives in the extended travel zone. Why did they do all that if they weren't responsive to what fans were telling them ?
PS:Looks like to me that Derby have actually increased their ST prices for next season. (although they are flexible, as with the Albion , in terms of pricing, categories, early bird offers etc)
http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Der...icket-prices/story-25936710-detail/story.html

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The crux of the matter though is that it appears many including those whd one hell of a lot to campaign for the the Amex do not appear to like what they got which I find very strange as it was bleeding obvious to me what was going to happen once the Amex was built.[/QUOTE

Some people seem to be at odds with not being instantly recognised and being on first name terms with the hierarchy. It was obvious things would change from the moment construction started, if not long before and this is not knocking at any individuals for what they did to help achieve this, however big or small.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick

I agree with many of Henfield One's sentiments, I have been watching The Albion since a small lad from 1969. I've watched plenty of seasons worse than this on the field. "One bad season" is not the issue for me and indeed many others. It goes far deeper than that. Off the field we have become something that myself and many others didn't think we would become. We always thought as a club we were 'different' and not a potential corporate monster. Were we naive to think this? Quite possibly. Many will say "football has changed" its the nature of the game these days. That may be the case, but it doesn't mean I/we have to like it or indeed, put up with it. So as a slight aside to the OP's posting.........

If enough people become disillusioned with the modern day BHAFC, could a splinter group of fans cut the ties to form AFC Brighton & Hove or FC Albion of Brighton or whatever name? Could it happen? Would it happen? I'm not advocating such a move as I believe there are enough non league clubs locally for those who are fed up with the modern professional game. A factor not lost on many local non league clubs. Whitehawk have a cheeky poster in The Swan aimed at those who feel that way. The likes of FCUM and AFC Wimbledon went back to square one and to this day are progressing. The formation of these two were for entirely different reasons of course, but the former could well be a template for those who became seriously disillusioned with the current setup.

I haven't renewed next season. This isn't a case of "walking away after one bad season". Aside from cost and disillusionment with what we have become, work and domestic issue's make it hard to get to games. I will therefore pick and choose my games next season.

For me, it's a simple matter of continuing to support the club that I love and, when they're not playing or my work takes me far away, enjoying my fill of fan owned/grass roots football. Whitehawk are a right laugh, air raid siren at corners and all :) FCUM are just ace and finally moving into Broadhurst Park just in time for promotion to Conference North. Northwich Vics fans rebelled against the hijacking of their club and set up their own, 1874 Northwich. Clapton FC have a right loud bunch of anti fascist punks following them in the Essex Senior League. And St Pauli are...probably getting relegated AGAIN :( Maybe wouldn't work for everyone, but a regular top up of enthusiastically run fan-owned football elsewhere is more than enough to keep my Albion mojo flying high despite the depradations of modern football and our current shambolic performances. See you at Wigan.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Seems to me the club is still the benign entity we hoped it would be. The chairman is a through-and-through Albion fan, the chief executive actively engages with the fans and is happy to have a bucket of iced water tipped over his head in front on the North Stand, the club as a whole appears ready and willing to take on board any suggestions by the fanbase to improve the atmosphere/catering/transport etc. Of COURSE it's more impersonal and corporate, it has to be, due to the numbers involved, but on the whole I think the current set-up has made a pretty decent transition from the Withdean era. It's still our club, and although we all enjoy the occasional grumble, I think we all know deep down that things could be a whole lot worse.

Very much this. If we had a half decent team to go with it I wouldn't have much to complain about.

If enough people become disillusioned with the modern day BHAFC, could a splinter group of fans cut the ties to form AFC Brighton & Hove or FC Albion of Brighton or whatever name? Could it happen? Would it happen? I'm not advocating such a move as I believe there are enough non cluleaguebs locally for those who are fed up with the modern professional game. A factor not lost on many local non league clubs. Whitehawk have a cheeky poster in The Swan aimed at those who feel that way. The likes of FCUM and AFC Wimbledon went back to square one and to this day are progressing. The formation of these two were for entirely different reasons of course, but the former could well be a template for those who became seriously disillusioned with the current setup.

Well one non league club in the city:moo:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I am confident that all the 'corporate, impersonal', etc. complaints will cease on that blessed day when BHA are promoted to the friendly, human-scale EPL, where the football and the pies are both artisanal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm quite happy to be a person to put my hand up for that.
(not normal for NSC I know, I'm sure plenty of others will follow my lead :lolol:)

I thought Burke came across very well.
He gave a good account of his job and his qualifications to do it.
His insight had me believing in Tony's structure for the club.

That interview seems a long way away from the squad this season.
Quite how that disconnect happened we'll probably never know as when push comes to shove, Tony will always be able to do the shoving.

Rohan Ince could well be Burke's legacy, but costing that eventual profit out, still won't look pretty against the loses column.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm quite happy to be a person to put my hand up for that.
(not normal for NSC I know, I'm sure plenty of others will follow my lead :lolol:)

I thought Burke came across very well.
He gave a good account of his job and his qualifications to do it.
His insight had me believing in Tony's structure for the club.

That interview seems a long way away from the squad this season.
Quite how that disconnect happened we'll probably never know as when push comes to shove, Tony will always be able to do the shoving.

Rohan Ince could well be Burke's legacy, but costing that eventual profit out, still won't look pretty against the loses column.

I thought Rohan Ince arrived in the same way as Bridcutt and other ex Chelsea players, via Ray Wilkins and Poyet's contacts.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Why not ? Ticket revenue would become a far smaller percentage of overall income and they would have the flexibility to do this and the club have a record of listening to fans this season and making positive changes.
The club effectively admitted they would review (so i assume reduce) season ticket prices if we were relegated and have reduced them by half for 18-21 year olds this summer and frozen them overall.. And reduced them considerably for anybody who lives in the extended travel zone. Why did they do all that if they weren't responsive to what fans were telling them ?
PS:Looks like to me that Derby have actually increased their ST prices for next season. (although they are flexible, as with the Albion , in terms of pricing, categories, early bird offers etc)
http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Der...icket-prices/story-25936710-detail/story.html[/QUOTE

Sorry, but Barber made it very clear that ST prices would go up if we were promoted last season.

That's despite the fact that we would get four less games.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Sorry, but Barber made it very clear that ST prices would go up if we were promoted last season.

That's despite the fact that we would get four less games.

Sadly probably not a lot of chance of testing this out for a while is there but actually all PB said about tickets last season and season before would be that they would review the pricing if the miracle occurred. It didn't.. So we won't know will we. My guess is given the flexibility shown this season in terms of pricing and the new prem tv deal/income that all clubs are going to think harder about ticket pricing. And that would have included us. But hey ...

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Not read the whole thread but when somebody as respected as the OP feels moved to write such a post then it must not be ignored.

Of course we now have a wonderful home, I love the Amex and now we have the training facility too. A f3ew years ago we had 'The Brighton brand' in regards to how we played and it gave some of the best football I'd seen in my 45+ years of watching, but things move on. we are playing at a higher level, our style was sussed and our better players moved on up and were not replaced.

I also worry that it's become a bit too corporate and old friends have left, although I'm not in the know to know why. Maybe we are more 'professional' off the pitch and things like Gully's girls were a bit naf. if the prices for food & drink go up then I just eat & drink elsewhere.

What concerns me more is on the pitch. I am concerned that, even after good wins, we never field the same team. O'Grady was finally settling at the start of the year and showing promise so he's then undermined by lone signings. it's a similar story with KLL and others who have lost out to loanees, and some of these have just been bench-warmers. If the manager doesn't shopw confidence in his players it's little wonder they lose theirs.

I'm also concerned as to what we do all week in training. Set peices, patterns of play, goalscoring, it's difficult to see what are players are being taught.

And then there's the development squad. it's been running a few years now and we've paid money for players, even bought in from overseas, yet who is knocking on the 1st teams door? it's not unrealistic to expect 3 1st team debutants a season. I think we've had Fenelon, Walton and Rea on the bench but, in a poor side, our 2nd string is hardly doing like the likes of Southampton with a conveyor belt of new talent.

One Club, One Ambition has become a marketing joke. Let's get back to the core business, putting a team on the pitch that people want to watch..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here