Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lost Chelsea Fans

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
In the instance of kids and their unlocalised latch-ons, I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of sport-neutral parents who fail to steer their children correctly when it comes to settling on an allegience.

My daughter and her husband have little to no interest in BHA or in sport in general. So it has fallen to me. My grandson, who is now 15 months old, is currently undergoing an intensive brainswashing programme. This involves his cot being invaded by a stuffed Gully, bibs which carry the Seagulls badge, regular lullabys of Sussex By The Sea (the proper stand or fall version, obvs), and this Christmas, I had him decked out as a 'full kit wanker' in the pub, in front of the Spurs game.

Over time, he'll learn that there really is no choice, as it was with my son. And when I lead him up those steps into the glory of the WSU for the first time in his life, his turn to the Striped Side will be complete. Then, he will come to know the TRUE power.

Surely you meant 'Last Christmas'? Have you a Michaelesque singing voice?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Think this is bad, try growing up in Scotland. Walking to see Stirling Albion play on a Saturday past fukwits in Celtic or Rangers tops who never go to games giving you dogs abuse for supporting your local team. Even worse, seeing coach loads of these mugs going across from Stirling to Glasgow to watch them play while Stirling Albion struggled to get over 900 fans through the turnstiles used to boiled my piss.

The plastic Leeds fans have come unstuck the last few years. I always find it strange kids wearing Barcelona shirts in the local park. Thank goodness these days 9 pot of 10 kids in and around Brighton are wearing Albion shirts.

I’ve done a few parents in my local park when walking the dog and there’s a kick about with the old ‘excuse me, is that your son...?’, ‘yes, why, what’s he done wrong...’? ‘Oh nothing, it’s just someone’s dressed him in a Barcelona (etc) shirt and I thought you ought to know...’ (we then have a friendly chat about footy, taking him down to Wycombe, as a parent you have a duty not to let them grow up as a plastic etc)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
In the instance of kids and their unlocalised latch-ons, I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of sport-neutral parents who fail to steer their children correctly when it comes to settling on an allegience.

My daughter and her husband have little to no interest in BHA or in sport in general. So it has fallen to me. My grandson, who is now 15 months old, is currently undergoing an intensive brainswashing programme. This involves his cot being invaded by a stuffed Gully, bibs which carry the Seagulls badge, regular lullabys of Sussex By The Sea (the proper stand or fall version, obvs), and this Christmas, I had him decked out as a 'full kit wanker' in the pub, in front of the Spurs game.

Over time, he'll learn that there really is no choice, as it was with my son. And when I lead him up those steps into the glory of the WSU for the first time in his life, his turn to the Striped Side will be complete. Then, he will come to know the TRUE power.

Top grand parenting!!!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

With my son, now 17, I never influenced him, I let it take its natural course (kids can be contrary and push away). When he was about 3 he started saying he liked ManU and Wayne Rooney. I can’t stand Manure, but kept quiet.

The turning point was taking him to a Withdean game under Russell Slade, which ensnared him as Albion for life.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Does this really need explaining ?

I assumed everyone knew that. At least, thats my take on it. Maybe I've got it wrong.

Exactly. If you need plastic defining then you are one in all probability. Scum. Absolute scum. They don’t realise just how much they’ve damaged the sport with the faux following. Your club picks you by locality to where you grew up. Or your dad follows them blindly. Those are the only two factors. Tough shit if you were born to parents disinterested in football and live in Croydon. That’s life, now get on with it.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

Excellent Grandparenting not so sure about your ability to have the same effect on convincing your daughter on the same path:clap: nevertheless Stirling work Sir:D

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So I was born and bred in Sussex and have supported the Albion since 1969 firstly from as far away from Eastbourne and then later often driving for six hours across four countries and taking the overnight ferry home on a Friday night and back on Sunday from Germany just to see a home game then at the Goldstone. I did the drive from South Wales to Gillingham regularly (All probably before you were born) and did the Withdean thing often leaving work early even midweek and getting home between one and two in the morning. Until this season I was a season ticket holder at the AMEX doing a 8-9 hour 440 odd mile round trip drive to a game as often as possible and so you now tell me I was a supporter.

Now I find that because through age I find that level of a trip too tiring and probably a bit dangerous I am now not a supporter but a follower and a plastic. You Sir or Madam as may be the case are talking B0LL0X! Not everyone can live within a spit of the ground, but believe me I AM A SUPPORTER and I would thank you not to ever tell me otherwise.

If this offends you I dont care.

I am so glad you managed to get a rather eloquent reply in before me, as I was just going to call him a jumped up no nothing ****!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
With my son, now 17, I never influenced him, I let it take its natural course (kids can be contrary and push away). When he was about 3 he started saying he liked ManU and Wayne Rooney. I can’t stand Manure, but kept quiet.

The turning point was taking him to a Withdean game under Russell Slade, which ensnared him as Albion for life.

Pretty much the same here.....junior (now 21) started with Liverpool, then Arsenal (Henry-inspired), a brief spell of Sunderland (WTF) then when he was about 8/9 we went to the Withdean a few times......difference is I wasn’t committed BHA myself prior to that (born in Devon, limited opportunities [emoji23][emoji23]), only edging that way since we moved to Sussex. We did spend a lot of time watching Burgess Hill when he showed an interest from the age of about 5.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Grown-ups changing allegiance, I’ve seen it a lot, is pathetic imho. A very sensitive subject. The 1901 member who changed from Bobby Robson’s Ipswich to Arsenal denies it, a brother of mine who switched from Leeds to Graham’s/Wenger’s Arsenal doesn’t like it mentioned or even joked about.

There were definitely a fair number of adults jumping on the arsenal bandwagon for peak Wenger.
They seemed to cover a wide range of big clubs in their previous support which they denied.
I remember bumping into an old friend watching an arsenal champions League game in the pub. He was going full gooner.
"I don't recall you being a gooner"
"Oh me, massive fan, always have been"
"No you haven't"
"What do you mean?"
"You supported Everton"
"I never"
"Your favourite player was Duncan Ferguson"
[Blank angry stare for about a minute, walks off]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There were definitely a fair number of adults jumping on the arsenal bandwagon for peak Wenger.
They seemed to cover a wide range of big clubs in their previous support which they denied.
I remember bumping into an old friend watching an arsenal champions League game in the pub. He was going full gooner.
"No you haven't"
"What do you mean?"
"You supported Everton"
"I never"

Yep. The 1901Club Gooner won’t have it that he was Ipswich, and keeps his Arsenal love secret at the Amex. Red-faced angry if anyone even jokes about it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
.....and a life full of no trophy’s or success?

Is that really how we pick our clubs ?

Anyway, it depends how you define success. Success for the "big six" is Champions League and silverware. Success for BHA is currently being behind only 13 teams out of 92 in the entire country. If we're still there in May, then for me, that is most certainly success.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Lucky lad. If my son had said the same at 3, then I'd have compressed him into a cat basket, wrapped it in a bin liner, driven to Winchester and left him on a train platform.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Jesus this thread is painful reading :facepalm: [MENTION=27739]The Upper Library[/MENTION] made a perfectly good and valid post about how many plastic glory supporters there are of the ‘big six’ and people start comparing long distance Albion fans to them :facepalm: My eyes actually hurt!

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
"No you haven't"
"What do you mean?"
"You supported Everton"
"I never"

And similarly:

Friend: “ Liverpool have always been the team I’ve supported first”
Me” how many times have you seen them play?”
Friend: “hundreds”
Me: “ what at Anfield?”
Friend: “no, on the TV”

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not all supporters of big 6 clubs are glory hunters either. It is impossible to know people’s family history when calling someone a plastic. Disclaimer; if you know there aren’t any family links to a particular big club then fill your boots.

Of course there’s a few Salford born and bred Manc fans who work In London etc or even rarer a supporter from North London who supports their local team and lives in Brighton - but the point is the ‘big 6’ have a much higher percentage of glory supporting followers who ‘chose’ a team - and they really aren’t real fans and are a bit embarrassing to say the least - a few have even tried gloating when they beat us in the prem - they were quickly put back in their place obviously :lol:

That’s why I love the we support our local team’ song - long may it continue against all the ‘big 6’.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Now, here's a question. Our Singing Andy from New York a year or two back decided he would become an Albion supporter for the flimsiest of reasons (something to do with his ex being a Palace supporter?). Does that make him a plastic? I don't think so. He must spend a packet to get over to watch Albion games. Saw him at Albion away to Liverpool. Also saw him at the Amex to see the U23's the night before the FA cup semi final, when many, many, many on here would rather slit their own throats than spend an evening supporting our youngsters. A great example of our new generation of decidedly unplastic plastics, I think he's great, if a little potty.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
The plastic Leeds fans have come unstuck the last few years. I always find it strange kids wearing Barcelona shirts in the local park. Thank goodness these days 9 pot of 10 kids in and around Brighton are wearing Albion shirts.

Very true. But that’s only really happened in the past few years after success in the Championship and getting into the Prem. If we were in League Two they’d all be wearing City, Liverpool and United shirts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here