[Albion] Lost Chelsea Fans

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
They're not glory hunters though are they? Never understand why people try making that argument.

Not all supporters of big 6 clubs are glory hunters either. It is impossible to know people’s family history when calling someone a plastic. Disclaimer; if you know there aren’t any family links to a particular big club then fill your boots.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Always been the way. The Old Firm, even in the 70’s and 80’s had huge, often sectarian, support right across Scotland. The roads full of minibuses taking legions of fans to Gers and Bhoys matches. I witnessed that in many stays north of the border.

And South of the border especially Newcastle and Liverpool.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not all supporters of big 6 clubs are glory hunters either. It is impossible to know people’s family history when calling someone a plastic. Disclaimer; if you know there aren’t any family links to a particular big club then fill your boots.

But when you know or have worked with dozens of folk, Chelsea, ManU and Arsenal ‘fans’, born n bred in Brighton or Worthing, who have no Manc or London connection, that’s pretty conclusive. Why? Because they admitted it.

One who lives in Westdene, became an Arsenal supporter in his 20’s, when other Hove Arsenal plastics introduced him to Bould and Linaghan in a London park. Overawed, he’s shared s/t’s ever since.

The “my family are lifelong ..... “ gets overplayed. Until Hoddle and Gullit came along, Chelsea had next to no fans in London or elsewhere. Gates as low as 8,000. All of a sudden, liars claimed they were fans since Hudson and Osgood or their Dad was.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Really don't understand why people worry about other people's allegiances. We have fans in Iran because we have an Iranian player imo it's not wrong it's just different and doesn't harm me. It's probably a good (?) sign of our success.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
But when you know or have worked with dozens of folk, Chelsea, ManU and Arsenal ‘fans’, born n bred in Brighton or Worthing, who have no Manc or London connection, that’s pretty conclusive. Why? Because they admitted it.

One who lives in Westdene, became an Arsenal supporter in his 20’s, when other Hove Arsenal plastics introduced him to Bould and Linaghan in a London park. Overawed, he’s shared s/t’s ever since.

The “my family are lifelong ..... “ gets overplayed. Until Hoddle and Gullit came along, Chelsea had next to no fans in London or elsewhere. Gates as low as 8,000. All of a sudden, liars claimed they were fans since Hudson and Osgood or their Dad was.

For those characters then yes, I agree with you.
However Brighton house prices have in large part been driven by cockernies (and London lawyers) relocating away from the slums of the smoke. There are bound to be some genuine Chelsea families in there somewhere.
Actually, why am I defending them ? As you were.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For those characters then yes, I agree with you.
However Brighton house prices have in large part been driven by cockernies (and London lawyers) relocating away from the slums of the smoke. There are bound to be some genuine Chelsea families in there somewhere.
Actually, why am I defending them ? As you were.

When I was at school in Sussex, in my entire primary and secondary years in the 70’s and early 80’s, I only ever knew of:

1 Arsenal fan
1 Spurs fan (genuine, born near WHL)
0 Chelsea
1 QPR
0 Manure
1 Ipswich - when an adult he converted to Arsenal .... George Graham. Got into the Albion in 1999 and is a 1901 member.

Everyone seemed to be Albion and to a far lesser extent Leeds and Liverpool.

Now I know literally dozens of Arsenal fans in Hove, Withdean, Westdene and Eastbourne. Many share Emirates s/t’s. Not one with a London connection. IMHO Arsenal gained the most in Sussex from the Albion’s broke years. Grown men jumped on the Graham and Wenger bandwagon.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I have a Brighton flag on my Garden shed in Reading. It’s where the ones that they give out at the Amex go. So people probably think I am a Brighton plastic.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Really don't understand why people worry about other people's allegiances. We have fans in Iran because we have an Iranian player imo it's not wrong it's just different and doesn't harm me. It's probably a good (?) sign of our success.

But there is a clear distinction between someone in Iran who "adopts" BHA because a player of his nation has made it to the PL, and someone who latches on to one of the Big Six because they're the high profile trophy-laden clubs who have the biggest profile and always hoover up the silverware. Thats the very definition of a glory-hunter.

Nobody, but NOBODY follows BHA for the glory. We've never won anything, and we never will. Our trophy is 17th.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
And your definition of a plastic is . . . ?

Please do give an explanation or an example...

I already did in post #25 of this thread that was intended as lighthearted fun until the perpetually-offended humour police turned up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And your definition of a plastic is . . . ?

Please do give an explanation or an example, or is it one those random covers everything insult that applies to someone who shouldn’t be allowed to watch a football match?

Does this really need explaining ?

In a nutshell, its someone who latches on to whoever is one of the biggest most successful clubs in the country at that time, despite having ZERO links with them other than a starry-eyed desire to bask in the reflected glory of a club they have f*ck-all to do with. And who then often proceeds to boast to supporters of their local team about how fantastic "their" club is, in comparison to the one they shunned in favour of being brainwashed by Sky.

I assumed everyone knew that. At least, thats my take on it. Maybe I've got it wrong.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Does this really need explaining ?

In a nutshell, its someone who latches on to whoever is one of the biggest most successful clubs in the country at that time, despite having ZERO links with them other than a starry-eyed desire to bask in the reflected glory of a club they have f*ck-all to do with. And who then often proceeds to boast to supporters of their local team about how fantastic "their" club is, in comparison to the one they shunned in favour of being brainwashed by Sky.

I assumed everyone knew that. At least, thats my take on it. Maybe I've got it wrong.

You may disagree, but I’d exclude kids who latched onto a non-local PL club, and then continued that passion for life. Ridiculous to put a gun their head at 18 and say you must now support the Albion or no one.

Grown-ups changing allegiance, I’ve seen it a lot, is pathetic imho. A very sensitive subject. The 1901 member who changed from Bobby Robson’s Ipswich to Arsenal denies it, a brother of mine who switched from Leeds to Graham’s/Wenger’s Arsenal doesn’t like it mentioned or even joked about.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You may disagree, but I’d exclude kids who latched onto a non-local PL club, and then continued that passion for life. Ridiculous to put a gun their head at 18 and say you must now support the Albion or no one.

Grown-ups changing allegiance, I’ve seen it a lot, is pathetic imho. A very sensitive subject. The 1901 member who changed from Bobby Robson’s Ipswich to Arsenal denies it, a brother of mine who switched from Leeds to Graham’s/Wenger’s Arsenal doesn’t like it mentioned or even joked about.

In the instance of kids and their unlocalised latch-ons, I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of sport-neutral parents who fail to steer their children correctly when it comes to settling on an allegience.

My daughter and her husband have little to no interest in BHA or in sport in general. So it has fallen to me. My grandson, who is now 15 months old, is currently undergoing an intensive brainswashing programme. This involves his cot being invaded by a stuffed Gully, bibs which carry the Seagulls badge, regular lullabys of Sussex By The Sea (the proper stand or fall version, obvs), and this Christmas, I had him decked out as a 'full kit wanker' in the pub, in front of the Spurs game.

Over time, he'll learn that there really is no choice, as it was with my son. And when I lead him up those steps into the glory of the WSU for the first time in his life, his turn to the Striped Side will be complete. Then, he will come to know the TRUE power.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That was a great response to the “you’re only here for the Chelsea” chant

Followed by. “ you’re just a shit Crystal Palace”. Which I chuckled at to be fair

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

I haven’t seen it myself, but a mate texted me after the news showed people in Iraq storming the us embassy over Christmas as he spotted a yoof wearing an albion shirt in the mob!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In the instance of kids and their unlocalised latch-ons, I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of sport-neutral parents who fail to steer their children correctly when it comes to settling on an allegience.

My daughter and her husband have little to no interest in BHA or in sport in general. So it has fallen to me. My grandson, who is now 15 months old, is currently undergoing an intensive brainswashing programme. This involves his cot being invaded by a stuffed Gully, bibs which carry the Seagulls badge, regular lullabys of Sussex By The Sea (the proper stand or fall version, obvs), and this Christmas, I had him decked out as a 'full kit wanker' in the pub, in front of the Spurs game.

Over time, he'll learn that there really is no choice, as it was with my son. And when I lead him up those steps into the glory of the WSU for the first time in his life, his turn to the Striped Side will be complete. Then, he will come to know the TRUE power.

.....and a life full of no trophy’s or success?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
But there is a clear distinction between someone in Iran who "adopts" BHA because a player of his nation has made it to the PL, and someone who latches on to one of the Big Six because they're the high profile trophy-laden clubs who have the biggest profile and always hoover up the silverware. Thats the very definition of a glory-hunter.

Nobody, but NOBODY follows BHA for the glory. We've never won anything, and we never will. Our trophy is 17th.

Ok I'll go with that.

el punal

I already did in post #25 of this thread that was intended as lighthearted fun until the perpetually-offended humour police turned up.

Yep! Got it, read your post. Couple of things though, I’m not perpetually offended (!) and have a GOSH, and yes I realise that you’re referring to the so called top six, but does that refer to the likes of Man City and Leicester, who really are mainly parochial in their fan base?

Should we ever achieve the dizzy heights of competing for a Champions League place would any new Albion fans also be called plastics?

So, again, from your post (and others) the inference is you are a plastic if you follow Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd or Spurs but have no affiliation to any of those clubs be it geographically, historically, family connections or Panini stickers?

Think I’ve got it now, time to lie down. :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports