[Albion] Lost Chelsea Fans

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think this is bad, try growing up in Scotland. Walking to see Stirling Albion play on a Saturday past fukwits in Celtic or Rangers tops who never go to games giving you dogs abuse for supporting your local team. Even worse, seeing coach loads of these mugs going across from Stirling to Glasgow to watch them play while Stirling Albion struggled to get over 900 fans through the turnstiles used to boiled my piss.

Always been the way. The Old Firm, even in the 70’s and 80’s had huge, often sectarian, support right across Scotland. The roads full of minibuses taking legions of fans to Gers and Bhoys matches. I witnessed that in many stays north of the border.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interesting point but I suspect the motivation for this type of fan is not glory hunting and is more likely due to family connections.
Having said that once we break into top 6 under Potter’s helm this might change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know loads of Sussex born n bred folk, with no family connection whatsoever to Arsenal, ManU and Chelsea, who love those clubs. Many of them switching to support them well into adulthood when they got lucky with a successful manager eg George Graham.

Psychologists call it Reflected Glory. Very common.

A few of the Arsenal fans share s/t’s at the Emirates, some started going to Albion with the Amex.

Others are spiteful, laughing at little old Albion.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
They're not glory hunters though are they? Never understand why people try making that argument.

Yes, I think that’s the key to it. Someone from several counties away who supports Burnley or Sheffield Wednesday might seem a bit odd, but they’re not plastics as such. To do that you have to support a team that’s habitually in the top six.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Did any kind soul help the large group of Chelsea fans heading back on the Coastway West towards West Sussex instead of mainline yesterday? I assume their leader was dyslexic and confused "Lancing" with "London". I do hope they found their ways home safely. :moo:

Along the highway that is the Kongs Ridge :D

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The first time I saw that YouTube video of the "Brighton Kop", where they all met up in the King & Queen in their replica kits to cheer on the dippers on Sky, I was sick in my mouth a little bit.

I was revolted by them, yet at the same time a small part of me pitied them. They'll never know what supporting a club is actually like. They think they do - but they don't.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
The first time I saw that YouTube video of the "Brighton Kop", where they all met up in the King & Queen in their replica kits to cheer on the dippers on Sky, I was sick in my mouth a little bit.

I was revolted by them, yet at the same time a small part of me pitied them. They'll never know what supporting a club is actually like. They think they do - but they don't.

To dust off that Ricky Gervais quote again: "Stupid people, it's only painful for others"

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014

I've seen them twice at close hand (drinking in the King and Queen and then the Font before heading for the Amex).

They really are tragic. They send away for replica shirts, watch TV in the pub, mimic some of the chants and somehow think they're real fans. They're pitiful, but they're such an embarrassment to the town that I can't feel sorry for them.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
The plastic Leeds fans have come unstuck the last few years. I always find it strange kids wearing Barcelona shirts in the local park. Thank goodness these days 9 pot of 10 kids in and around Brighton are wearing Albion shirts.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Going back about 10 years I visited the Cricketers in Southwick and asked to have Brighton game on the tele. The reply was to the effect that people want the Liverpool game on which was on another channel. Hopefully times have changed.

kjgood

So I was born and bred in Sussex and have supported the Albion since 1969 firstly from as far away from Eastbourne and then later often driving for six hours across four countries and taking the overnight ferry home on a Friday night and back on Sunday from Germany just to see a home game then at the Goldstone. I did the drive from South Wales to Gillingham regularly (All probably before you were born) and did the Withdean thing often leaving work early even midweek and getting home between one and two in the morning. Until this season I was a season ticket holder at the AMEX doing a 8-9 hour 440 odd mile round trip drive to a game as often as possible and so you now tell me I was a supporter.

Now I find that because through age I find that level of a trip too tiring and probably a bit dangerous I am now not a supporter but a follower and a plastic. You Sir or Madam as may be the case are talking B0LL0X! Not everyone can live within a spit of the ground, but believe me I AM A SUPPORTER and I would thank you not to ever tell me otherwise.

If this offends you I dont care.

I know there are a lot of things in this world to get frustrated and angry about BUT the scourge of the plastic fan is something that really gets to me - it is a reflex response that I can’t help. When we play the big 6 teams I have to check all seats near me to try to hunt them out......
If I ever get in to conversations with Sussex born and bread “fans” of big 6 teams I point out that they “follow “ their team and don’t “support” them - unless of course they actually regularly attend matches (which is a rarer occurrence than hens teeth)..........just typing this rant has wound me up!!!!!!

RID THE WORLD OF ALL PLASTICS!!!

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
My nephew, when young, 'supported' Man City (at the height of their success), despite living near Norwich. It took me a while to persuade him to change his choice, but now he's a Norwich STH, goes to away games and has Norwich tattoos. I told him he'd enjoy supporting his local team more than Man City, and I was right!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
God help you and I if the Albion ever become a BIG club. You living in Shropshire and me in Southampton. Imagine the comments - “ why can’t you support your local team, you’re a plastic, Johnny-come-lately, glory hunter” and so on. I may live in Southampton but I don’t come from there. I was brought up in Sussex, went to school there, lived in Brighton and worked there for many years, and followed the Albion and Sussex since I was eleven.

My wife, who is from Southampton, our two daughters who were born there, our two grandchildren who were born in Croydon :)ohmy:) are all Brighton fans. What right have people to criticise which football team you support? The are many and varied reasons for a fan’s allegiance and so I detest the blinkered view that all supporters must be geographically aligned to their football club - that’s just complete bollocks.

If a football supporter (a genuine one who goes to games) wishes to have a pop then aim it at the armchair TV viewer or the bloke who watches the match at the pub. Those that spout on but have never been to a football ground in their lives, and never will. They should be the target, not the ones that follow their team, which ever it may be, up and down the country, home and away and through good and bad times.

New Years Day in front of the TV in North Lincolnshire summed it up for me... four forever Albion fans up from the south... one person supporting the Albion in spite of living in Lincolnshire for over 50 years on the grounds that she was born and brought up in the city... an Arsenal fan brought up in Islington (but now living in Brighton and supporting the Albion as his second club) and a Lincolnshire relative (the lovely host) who was born in Lincs and has claimed to support Chelsea ever since he got fed up with claiming to support Leeds. The host's family backed dad and cheered for Chelsea but there wasn't a trace of doubt who most enjoyed the afternoon. It was those who had a reason, family or geographical, to support one of the two teams. I can't see the point of supporting a club for any other reason. It would be like supporting BMW, or Kelloggs.

PS We forsook the land of my father and were at the match.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
So I was born and bred in Sussex and have supported the Albion since 1969 firstly from as far away from Eastbourne and then later often driving for six hours across four countries and taking the overnight ferry home on a Friday night and back on Sunday from Germany just to see a home game then at the Goldstone. I did the drive from South Wales to Gillingham regularly (All probably before you were born) and did the Withdean thing often leaving work early even midweek and getting home between one and two in the morning. Until this season I was a season ticket holder at the AMEX doing a 8-9 hour 440 odd mile round trip drive to a game as often as possible and so you now tell me I was a supporter.

Now I find that because through age I find that level of a trip too tiring and probably a bit dangerous I am now not a supporter but a follower and a plastic. You Sir or Madam as may be the case are talking B0LL0X! Not everyone can live within a spit of the ground, but believe me I AM A SUPPORTER and I would thank you not to ever tell me otherwise.

If this offends you I dont care.

What are you on about????? I think you have missed my point entirely - I am talking about people who only ever follow top 6 teams from their living room.

You are undoubtedly an outstanding supporter . And I salute you for it

And for the record I too have supported the Albion at the Goldstone, Gillingham, Withdean and the Amex.

Not sure when you were born (not sure how relevant that is) but I have been attending Albion matches for the last 40 years

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've seen them twice at close hand (drinking in the King and Queen and then the Font before heading for the Amex).

They really are tragic. They send away for replica shirts, watch TV in the pub, mimic some of the chants and somehow think they're real fans. They're pitiful, but they're such an embarrassment to the town that I can't feel sorry for them.

I know a guy who is a member of the ‘Eastbourne Kop’......regularly posts about their ‘support’ (from the pub, obviously) on facebook..........and how brilliant the whole thing is. The poor f*****s.

God help you and I if the Albion ever become a BIG club. You living in Shropshire and me in Southampton. Imagine the comments - “ why can’t you support your local team, you’re a plastic, Johnny-come-lately, glory hunter” and so on. I may live in Southampton but I don’t come from there. I was brought up in Sussex, went to school there, lived in Brighton and worked there for many years, and followed the Albion and Sussex since I was eleven.

My wife, who is from Southampton, our two daughters who were born there, our two grandchildren who were born in Croydon :)ohmy:) are all Brighton fans. What right have people to criticise which football team you support? The are many and varied reasons for a fan’s allegiance and so I detest the blinkered view that all supporters must be geographically aligned to their football club - that’s just complete bollocks.

If a football supporter (a genuine one who goes to games) wishes to have a pop then aim it at the armchair TV viewer or the bloke who watches the match at the pub. Those that spout on but have never been to a football ground in their lives, and never will. They should be the target, not the ones that follow their team, which ever it may be, up and down the country, home and away and through good and bad times.

Hear hear I was bought up in Sussex followed Brighton since 6 year old now 52 and although I live in Birmingham I only get to occasional games but each and every game I listen watch follow on phone and always will. Never could I follow the local teams up here.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

This 100 %

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
While it may be regrettable that there are Sussex residents that support teams other than BHA, are they any worse than Seagull fans who live outside Sussex and have local clubs they could support? There are many reasons, usually historic, why people chose their favourites and isn't that their right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports