Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Lost buiildings of Brighton?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Brings back so many memories. At Patcham County Secondary School (as it was then before Fawcett came along) in the 1950's our first swimming lessons were in the gym, laying over a chair and perfecting the breast stroke! After 2 lessons of that we were taken on a number 5 bus, marched up to North Street baths and told to swim 10 yards to get our first certificate, in our knitted woollen trunks of course! Survive that and you were taken again to get the 25 yard certificate.

Bloody hell! I learnt to swim there in the 70s!

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Indeed. My error was previously pointed out in post #56. But I'd like to take this opportunity to post a larger size version of the image as my previous one was somewhat small and didn't do it justice...

View attachment 122258

It was a magnificent building. It’s such a shame it wasn’t converted in the same way as the Manor Road Garage, in East Preston. But we all know that money talks.

C036DEB0-2A10-4EE6-8A10-A3A72CD81D90.jpeg

https://www.wowhaus.co.uk/2019/12/16/apartment-1930s-manor-road-garage-east-preston-west-sussex/

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
I was at that one too, did they flounce off or just stop the gig, then restart after a while?
It turns out that Weller's gran and aunt Rosie were in the audience and he didn't want them to see the tank top Grandma knitted get covered in gob.2a4983e71f88ae8bc4a252c80ac4e49d.jpg

Old ladies still smoked in those days, as you can see

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    4 KB · Views: 136

The Hippodrome from mybrightonandhove.org.uk site.
It's a shame we look like losing this lovely old theatre, my parents used to take me to the panto there every year and we also went to several summer variety shows. If you look at the website you can read accounts from people of the many world famous artists and acts who appeared there over the years, it's a pretty impressive list.

https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/category/places/theatres/hippodrome-2

I saw pretty well every pop star that existed at the Hippodrome during the 60's and very early 70's, with the exception of Elvis. He never even made the country let alone arrived in the building to leave it.

Yes, yes there were.

The Embassy
The Classic
The Astoria
The Regent
The Odeon
ABC Hove
The Rothbury Portslade
The Continentale Kemp Town
The Vogue
Duke of Yorks
The Brighton Film theatre (or similar!)

Just off the top of my head from 60s and 70s.

That was back in the day when the only 'Action' you would see out where the Marina now is, was a bit of winkling, if you were lucky :smile:

Yes, yes they were all very well but lots of these didn't have the facilities that a young man in the prime of his life needed. My preferred choice was the Orion in Hassocks that had DOUBLE SEATS :mad: And you could go across the road Adastra Park afterwards to recover or carry on, depending on how successful you had been.

I think I need to go and lie down now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Were they backed by the Dr's of Madness that night.?...I liked them, and I know I saw them at the Suite

Not at The Embassy I don't think. I have seen Drs of Madness three times (once at the Suite - same gig as you I would imagine - Kid thrown in a strait jacket at the end and carried off by men in white coats :lolol:), once at the Dome (the were supporting Bebob Deluxe - that was a laugh as 200 15 year old female Bill Nelson fans shat themselves when Kid Strange started reading from Naked Lunch in the darkness before they burst into 'Waiting' :lolol:) and once....somewhere in London (Marquee? Nashville). My Embassy ticket, if my memory serves me well (it is upstairs somewhere) has 'Slitz' as the support (not the Slits, some other band). :wave:

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
Not at The Embassy I don't think. I have seen Drs of Madness three times (once at the Suite - same gig as you I would imagine - Kid thrown in a strait jacket at the end and carried off by men in white coats :lolol:), once at the Dome (the were supporting Bebob Deluxe - that was a laugh as 200 15 year old female Bill Nelson fans shat themselves when Kid Strange started reading from Naked Lunch in the darkness before they burst into 'Waiting' :lolol:) and once....somewhere in London (Marquee? Nashville). My Embassy ticket, if my memory serves me well (it is upstairs somewhere) has 'Slitz' as the support (not the Slits, some other band). :wave:
The Dr's were never a headline I went see....I think it was the Jam at the Suite.
Now Dr Feelgood at the Suite.....there was a headliner.
BeBop were a disappointment in my book.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Dr's were never a headline I went see....I think it was the Jam at the Suite.
Now Dr Feelgood at the Suite.....there was a headliner.
BeBop were a disappointment in my book.

Maybe I saw the Jam as the Suite as well as at the Embassy so it may have been that. Knowing me, I might have left before the Jam came on, for one of several reasons :lolol:

Never saw Feelgood :down:

Bebop were good when they released the first album (Axe Victim), then went badly down hill.

ps - just had a peek and there is a version of dioctors of madness still going (Kid plus others), DVDs and all sorts. Bonkers!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Portland Gate in Portland Road, Hove gained nationwide notoriety for all the wrong reasons.*

2020-04-15 19.16.36.png

Built some time in the 1930s in the modernist style it had an early close brush with tragedy in 1940 during the Battle of Britain when a Hurricane fighter piloted by a 20 year old RAF airman named Dennis Noble ploughed into a piece of wasteland on Woodhouse Road just yards*away from*Portland Gate. Sergeant Noble's body together with the wreckage of the Hurricane remained buried in the ground where it had crashed for 56 years until they were exhumed in 1996.

*http://aircrewremembered.com/noble-dennis.html

A few decades after the war Portland Gate had the misfortune to fall into the hands of the infamous slum landlord Nicholas Hoogstraten some time around the 1970s. With his trademark disregard and contempt for his tenants, Hoogstraten let Portland Gate fall into such a state of disrepair that a journalist once compared it to* a scene from war torn Beirut.

4z7QKMfs90eBGIg5xCi8oECW-brighton-hove-places-streets-1524104593.jpg

fgRW2gIBdzdSAoloKvpFX7eP-brighton-hove-places-streets-1524104593.jpg

So having survived unscathed through the perils of WW2 and the bombings of the German Luftwaffe Portland Gate finally began to crumble under the malign ownership of Nicholas Hoogstaten.

The conditions in which the tenants of Portland Gate were force to live caused such a scandal that in 1993 Labour MP Keith Vaz*tabled an early day motion in Parliament for a compulsory purchase order. 33 Labour MPs signed the motion including Ken Livingstone and Diane Abbot. The motion however was rejected by the Tories.

https://edm.parliament.uk/early-day-motion/6008/portland-gate-flatshove

Portland Gate was thrust into the public eye again in 1995 when Tony Blair,* the then leader of the Labour Party, was photographed peering out of the broken windows of the crumbing block which he visited during the Labour Party conference. When Labour came to power in 1997 they enacted their plans for compulsory purchase, and demolition commenced soon after.

2020-04-16 10.44.40.jpg

In its place was built McNair Court which was named after Robin McNair an RAF fighter pilot who had served in the Battle of Britain and who had lived locally.

http://history.buses.co.uk/history/fleethist/466rm.htm

The next block of flats along from McNair Court is Noble Court which is named after Dennis Noble the RAF Battle of Britain pilot whose Hurricane had crashed near the site on which Noble Court was subsequently built.

McNair Court:

Screenshot_2020-04-16-11-50-55.png

Most on here will be familiar with the name and deeds of Nicholas Hoogstraten, but those who are not, possibly like [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] who started this thread, here are a couple of links which will enlighten you...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theargus.co.uk/news/6755570.amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.st...ts-feared-ignorant-psychotic-6310433.html?amp

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Thanks for that. Very interesting.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
Maybe I saw the Jam as the Suite as well as at the Embassy so it may have been that. Knowing me, I might have left before the Jam came on, for one of SEVERAL REASONS

Never saw Feelgood :down:

Bebop were good when they released the first album (Axe Victim), then went badly down hill.

ps - just had a peek and there is a version of dioctors of madness still going (Kid plus others), DVDs and all sorts. Bonkers!
https://youtu.be/U6Sybniq9I0
One of those nights?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Don't suppose you happen to know what year that snap was taken do you?

That photo is undated, but I have a couple where the costumes look similar and they were taken in 1952 and 1954. I have about 20 others undated

View attachment 122278

View attachment 122279

I'm fairly certain that these two photos and the original photo you referred to were not taken in the 1950s.

Men were not still wearing the two piece style swimsuit in the 1950s which many of the men in all of those photos are wearing.

They were starting to go out of fashion by the late 1930s and would have been out of fashion and rarely seen by the mid 40s. By the 50s men were wearing one piece trunks and I don't think any man would have been seen dead in a two piece by then.

The photos look mid to late 30s to me. Black Rock was built in 1936 so I think they were taken soon after it opened late 30s.

Another clue is your "1954" pic. The flats in the background appear to be Marine Gate. If you look closely they still appear to be under construction but almost finished. Marine Gate was constructed in 1939 which I assume is when it was completed. This would indicate that the photo is 1939.

So that particular photo was taken around 1938/39. I would also suggest that the photo [MENTION=12422]Taybha[/MENTION] refers to was also taken around the same time given the style of swimsuits some of the other men in the photo are wearing.

Black Rock Pool undated.jpg

It doesn't rule out the possibility of the man on the diving board being [MENTION=12422]Taybha[/MENTION] 's dad, it just means he would have been 15 years younger - late teens early 20s perhaps. It also means he would have been at the forefront of fashion having himself ditched the two piece.

Can I ask why you believe they were taken in 1952 and 1954? Is a date written on them somewhere? If so can you post.

Here's a link to men's swimsuit fashions which will help you.

https://vintagedancer.com/mens-fashion-history/vintage-mens-swimsuits-history/

And here's a couple of men's swimsuit ads.

This ad is from the 1930s....

1935-mens-swimsuit.jpg

And this one is from the 1950s. Not a two piece in sight....

1950s-mens-swimsuits-bathing-suits.jpg

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Don't suppose you happen to know what year that snap was taken do you?

That photo is undated, but I have a couple where the costumes look similar and they were taken in 1952 and 1954. I have about 20 others undated

View attachment 122278

View attachment 122279

Sorry but when I get on to these sorts of things I'm like a dog with a bone. I've just done some more research.

The "Copyright Wardell's" inscription at the bottom of your "1954" postcard indicates it was published by Bill Wardell who published and sold postcards in Brighton from around 1917 up to the 1940s. He died in 1962 aged 83.

This would also suggest that the photo is earlier than the 1954 date you attribute to it.

See link....

http://www.sussexpostcards.info/publishers.php?PubID=296

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Saw them a few years back at the Prince Albert - Kid + Urban Blitz + two newbies. They were great.

I didn't see them in 76/77. Attila and I went to see them at the Marquee, thinking it would be easy to get in, but Dave Vanian had just joined them and the Damned fans flocked to see him - so we couldn't get in. They were one of my favourite bands back in the day - still listen to them now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Saw them a few years back at the Prince Albert - Kid + Urban Blitz + two newbies. They were great.

I didn't see them in 76/77. Attila and I went to see them at the Marquee, thinking it would be easy to get in, but Dave Vanian had just joined them and the Damned fans flocked to see him - so we couldn't get in. They were one of my favourite bands back in the day - still listen to them now.

The opening four tracks of 'Late Night Movies..." are stunning.

I salute you impeccable taste :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here