Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Losing Weight

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am 5'11" and weighed just over 14st in September last year. Then I started the 5:2 after seeing the Michael Mosley program on Horizon and was down to 13st by Christmas. Now I'm nearer 12st 7" and still losing slowly, but still 5' 11" tall. Over the years I have tried many different diets, exercise regimes, etc - I particularly hate the gym - but this is the only thing I have been able to stick to for any length of time mainly because you only really stick to it for a single day at a time.

Good that you've managed to maintain the height while losing the weight.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I'm thinking about the 5:2 diet as it's being recommended by the NHS quite regularkly now.
For those of you doing it, what do you eat on the 2 fasting days and how do you combat the inevitable hunger pains?

As said above, small cereal plus limited milk and sugar, or cereal and fruit (like blueberries), no lunch and a non carbohydrate meal in evening, like chicken. Sainsburys do stuff like stirfry veg and a sauce tht, with chicken, can keep you within the daily allowance. There's probably loads of examples on the net.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Gonna give this a go. First fasting day today and all I can think about is food already.

I've seen weight watchers do meals under 300cals and a soup at about 50cals. Probably the way I'm gonna hit it.

For me this diet could work. I like the way its only a one day fast at a time, I think I've got JUST enough motivation to get me through the day

Balloned to 16st from the usual 13 so I've set my self a target to get back to 13st by the 1st league game for local team: mid sept.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Gonna give this a go. First fasting day today and all I can think about is food already.

I've seen weight watchers do meals under 300cals and a soup at about 50cals. Probably the way I'm gonna hit it.

For me this diet could work. I like the way its only a one day fast at a time, I think I've got JUST enough motivation to get me through the day

Balloned to 16st from the usual 13 so I've set my self a target to get back to 13st by the 1st league game for local team: mid sept.

You can stagger the fast as long as it includes 24 hours. When I did it, rather than wake up and do that 'day', I'd have a normal breakfast, then start the fast from lunch, tea and the following breakfast. The fast would then be over and I'd have a normal lunch the following day. I found this easier than just doing a typical day.

There are loads of ideas on what you can eat during your fast that keeps you to the calorie limit i.e. http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/blogs/542291/5-2-diet-recipes-what-can-you-eat-on-the-fasting-days.html

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As said above, small cereal plus limited milk and sugar, or cereal and fruit (like blueberries), no lunch and a non carbohydrate meal in evening, like chicken. Sainsburys do stuff like stirfry veg and a sauce tht, with chicken, can keep you within the daily allowance. There's probably loads of examples on the net.

There is no way you can have sugar on your fasting day. Complete waste of calories. Believe me, when you're limited to, in my case 500cals in 24 hrs, you want to make every calorie count in terms of feeling like you've eaten. Any form of supplementary sugar, whether in tea or on cereal is an absolute no no.

In fact, any additional sugar should be a no no full stop!

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
You can stagger the fast as long as it includes 24 hours. When I did it, rather than wake up and do that 'day', I'd have a normal breakfast, then start the fast from lunch, tea and the following breakfast. The fast would then be over and I'd have a normal lunch the following day. I found this easier than just doing a typical day.

There are loads of ideas on what you can eat during your fast that keeps you to the calorie limit i.e. http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/blogs/542291/5-2-diet-recipes-what-can-you-eat-on-the-fasting-days.html

God thats a good idea isn't it!

Large full english for your breakfast, probably not allowed tho, right? :)

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Just eat fruit during the day, two bananas, apples pears and or oranges, avoid any sandwich related food, bread and potatoes,.... have a wrap related main meal....with chicken salad or veg.......drink plenty of fluids, cut out booze for at least four days of the week......easy.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

ACTUALLY, you'd be suprised....I got this through from the RideLondon100 which I'm doing in August, so you could have a full english if you selected it with a bit of care!

http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/Prudential_RideLondon___Events/Prudential_RideLondon-Surrey_100/Rider_Info/Newsletters/Issue_15_-_30_May_2013/Issue_15_-_Enjoy_A_Full_English.htm

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I follow a 40:30:30 diet and it's worked wonders for me.

The key basis is:

In all meals try to hit 40% Carbs, 30% (good) fats, 30% Protein.

Avoid Processed Carbs like White Bread, Potato, White Rice, White Paste. Try to eat Wholemeal equivalents.

Try to eat carbs with a higher fibre content, such as the previously mentioned Wholemeal pasta etc, and green veg.

Plus drink plenty of water.

I also do a fitness bootcamp class 3 times a week, but since I've changed my diet I've lost half a stone in about 3 weeks.

So, what do I eat?

For Breakfast I might have scrambled egg on a slice of wholemeal / seeded bread with butter.

Lunch - could be a couple of fillets of Piri Piri smoked Mackerel with 2-3 ryvita with butter (plusa pint of water)

Dinner - could be many things -

Chicken breast, with salad.
Homemade Curry with a small portion of brown rice (& popadoms)
Couple of pork chops, with a small jacket spud, and a large salad

They key is to stick to the 40% Carbs, 30% Fat/ Protein rule.

Snacks are allowed but need to contain the same rough ratio - so some cashew nuts and an apple will work, or some natural yoghurt and a piece of fruit.

The key for me has been 'getting' how important a change in diet is to weight loss, and making it a permanent change. I've been exercising the same way for months, and was stuck at about 14.5 stone. I've made this change and i've dropped to 13st 10 in a matter of weeks.

Loving it.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is the Fitness Bootcamp I attend. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

They do a free membership period if anyone's interested, and I get a free month membership of I refer people.

http://theweightlossguys.co.uk/

So, if anyone's interested - PM me and I can introduce you.

:)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

You can have one if you fancy it. I had muesli and fruit this morning, and I'll go through until tomorrow morning with just water and maybe an Earl Grey. Drinks lots of water - it'll help you not feel hungry, and also keep you alert. Chewing gum is also a big help for me, too.

Good luck.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You can have one if you fancy it. I had muesli and fruit this morning, and I'll go through until tomorrow morning with just water and maybe an Earl Grey. Drinks lots of water - it'll help you not feel hungry, and also keep you alert. Chewing gum is also a big help for me, too.

Good luck.

These. Water and chewing gum are massive helps to stave off hunger.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I'm a fatty, and need to lose weight.

BMI is 28, and trust me none of that is down to muscle.

I want to know your personal experiences in how you lost weight, the best techniques you've come across ect, as I generally have no idea and am a amateur in the subject. (Before a few months back, I hadn't weighed my self in over 2 years).

So yeah, I just need tips basically, cheers.

I am 6ft 3 and have gone from 16 st 12 (Jan 2013) to 15st 2 (last weekend). Secret is to cut out:

-Shitty processed bread (bake yuor own - buy a Paul Hollywood book and create)
-No butter
-No veg oil and little other oils (use the 1 cal spray oil you can buy)
-Limit cheese intake (this is a real pain for me cos I love the stuff)
-Only drink red or green milk
-Eat lots of salads with no mayo.
-Only have 0% fat yoghurts and low fat cottage cheese

I am still drinking the real ale,red wine, Gs and Ts and whisky , if I didn't I would probably be down to about 9 stone by now!

Oh and take up an energetic sport. Tennis , Golf, Cribbage etc

Hope that helps

TNBA

TTF

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
So...good healthy folk of NSC, I have a porblem...Istarted this Coach to 5k thing a few weeksago after years of non exercise. Not going to lie, I was embarassed at week one at how much I couldnt run.

4 weeks later and I am getting on, doing about 4k now and finish the runs, albeit our of breathe etc. last week though I felt pains in both of my calves. I carried on running and then the pain was felt sharply in my right calf, I couldnt walk or put my foot down properly. After a few days it went away and I was stretching it etc.

I left it twoweeks which took me to Monday, ran about 3.5 k with intervals of jogging andwalking, longest contniuous run was 5 minutes, I then felt the pain again in both calves, not enough to stop but i slowed down as wasconcerned. Managed to finish.

Last night, I went again and straight away I hadthe pain in both, I again continued on and had the sharp pain this time in my left calf, I could hardly walk and managed to hobble home. today it feels horrible and stairs are a nightmare.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong, I have tried stretching it and warming up, maybe I am not doing this for long enough? Having madeso much progress I am now so deflated to not be able to go further.

I am quite a heavy guy at 14st 13 and 5ft 9ish and running was finally seeing the pounds fall off a little.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
So...good healthy folk of NSC, I have a porblem...Istarted this Coach to 5k thing a few weeksago after years of non exercise. Not going to lie, I was embarassed at week one at how much I couldnt run.

4 weeks later and I am getting on, doing about 4k now and finish the runs, albeit our of breathe etc. last week though I felt pains in both of my calves. I carried on running and then the pain was felt sharply in my right calf, I couldnt walk or put my foot down properly. After a few days it went away and I was stretching it etc.

I left it twoweeks which took me to Monday, ran about 3.5 k with intervals of jogging andwalking, longest contniuous run was 5 minutes, I then felt the pain again in both calves, not enough to stop but i slowed down as wasconcerned. Managed to finish.

Last night, I went again and straight away I hadthe pain in both, I again continued on and had the sharp pain this time in my left calf, I could hardly walk and managed to hobble home. today it feels horrible and stairs are a nightmare.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong, I have tried stretching it and warming up, maybe I am not doing this for long enough? Having madeso much progress I am now so deflated to not be able to go further.

I am quite a heavy guy at 14st 13 and 5ft 9ish and running was finally seeing the pounds fall off a little.

It could be something like this?

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/why-do-I-feel-pain-after-exercise.aspx

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Do you have really decent running trainers with plenty of cushion in the heel?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I understand completely how frustrating this can be, especially when you are starting to see improvements in health
etc. My knees really suffered when I did a lot of jogging a couple of years back. A few things I did:

1. Take up swimming - non loading bearing exercise, far easier on your joints
2. Make sure I had the right running shoes - also makes a big difference
3. Bought a good solid knee support - makes a big difference

I still feel a twinge every now and again, especially if I try to jog 2-3 days in a row, but the above steps have helped massively.

Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here