Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Losing Weight

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Lots of good advice there, i also recommend some common sense - if you have a 'bad' day (have a curry, eat crap etc) then try and balance it out with a healthier day (have a salad, eat fruit, cut down on carbs etc) and it'll help. I've found going on a bike ride helps - i was crap to begin with (tired after a few miles) but now i love going out on longer rides on the downs etc. I've heard people mention the 5-2 diet and it sounds good, though obv i'm not sure of any long terms benefits/issues so that's your call.

I know how easy it is to eat too much - my portion sizes are MASSIVE (boom boom) and working from home means its really easy to snack more, but i've found having a filling breakfast (i go for a big bowl of porridge, with honey, or a bit of Nutella to help it) stops the mid morning cravings and cutting down on portion sizes helps too.

Suggest doing something that interests you and doesn't feel like a chore to do. I took up martial arts about 4 years ago and looked/felt the best I had in a long time and didn't even really feel like effort. Sadly the classes stopped about a year ago and have started to get lazy/unfit again :(

Good luck

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Keep a notebook or spreadsheet with your weight, what you have eaten, and exercise done each day. If it's a daily routine that you weigh yourself each morning then a) you can see progress and b) it keeps it uppermost in your mind.

Try swimming if you want to start with gentle exercise. Front crawl is most effective. Cut back on alcohol.

Don't eat carbohydrates after say 7pm. It's often the evening snacks that are the worst.

Drink lots of water. For some reason this helps because it stops the body going into starvation mode and retaining water.

Clean your teeth. You're less likely to want to eat if you've done that.

Fasting for 2 days a week is also good. Once you start doing that, your body stops demanding so much food, which helps on the other days as well.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Muesli and porridge have low GIs which means they release energy slowly so you, in theory feel less hungry for longer. Cakes, Chcocolates etc have high GIs which release energy quickly which, after your blood/sugar level have been initially raised, means you will feel hungry more quickly. Low fat soups in Winter or Summer are good as the volume fills you up without adding too many calories. Anyway, off for my 10th low GI beer...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
14st and 5'11.

Thanks all for tips, shall evaluate and let me you know if it has worked!

I am that weight and 13st and was told at my medical this week I was slightly over weight

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
On top of all these things, you can do little things by just breaking up sedentary behaviour. Don't spend the majority of your day sitting down/lying down. Even if it's just getting up in the evening every 20 minutes to break it up is good.

Also, try and do it for the health reasons, rather than actual physical appearance. When you're doing it for the 'right' reasons you'll feel more motivated.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I've lost about three stone since I've stopped the booze almost eighteen months ago. My beer belly was the first thing to go and now that I've got a very physical job, my arms have bulked out with muscles. I get asked if I use steroids because of how much my body has changed which annoys me. It's all down to self-discipline and it's good to feel as physically fit as I did ten years ago.

Try and eat as much white meat like chicken as possible, rice, peas, carrots etc and just have one meal a day. Nothing shifts weight like alcohol though.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It's not rocket science.

1) Eat less

2) Move around a bit more often or vigorously (or both!)

Watch the pounds fly off.

Apr 23, 2008
Shoreham
Download the free MyFitness Pal app. Basically counts calories, fat, sugar, etc you intake each day. You put in current weight, height, target weight, and gives you personalised targets for everything. Can also put in exercise you do.

Im 6'2" and started 174lbs so was in no way overweight but wanted to lose a bit of body fat before holiday. Down to 163lbs in just over a month.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I hate running so I did body weight exercises to lose some flab and continue to stay in shape. Squats, push ups, lunges, burpees, planks etc. I started with a routine from http://www.nerdfitness.com/
Lots of good advice there.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
The 5-2 fasting actually works or if this is not for you, try just smaller portions of what you eat and cut out the crap. You'll soon get used to it. You will however have to throw in some exercise as well, even if it is just going for a long walk, run etc.
It's a lifestyle change if you want to keep it off

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'm a fatty, and need to lose weight.

BMI is 28, and trust me none of that is down to muscle.

I want to know your personal experiences in how you lost weight, the best techniques you've come across ect, as I generally have no idea and am a amateur in the subject. (Before a few months back, I hadn't weighed my self in over 2 years).

So yeah, I just need tips basically, cheers.

Eat less ??
Move around a bit ?

I know that, but that never works for me for some reason. Eating less is not possible, I have no will power and I know I'm a **** for it.

Moving around is what I do, and I never shift weight, it just stays the same.

It doesn't work for you because you don't do it. As you say - no will power. But enough to ask for advice on here and to have weighed yourself, so I reckon it's fair to say you do actually want to do something about it.

Join www.parkrun.org.uk and walk/jog 5k once a week. It's free, really supportive and full of all sorts of people from racing snakes to mums with buggies walking round having a chat. Think about how you travel - you could walk or cycle short journeys.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Try VB6 diet - vegan before 6pm, really worked for me, and means you can relax and not worry about it in the evenings.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
weightwatchers online program kind of condenses all of the above information into one package and certainly works to get you started. Count what you eat, get bonuses for exercise and you can binge one a week or so if there's a night out etc. Helped me

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Aparently 70% of weight loss comes from your diet. It's critical that you eat less. To do that you need to eat smarter. 5/2 or carb avoidance or multi meals, find a method you can stick to. Then do some exercise too. But frankly at 14st and 5'11" you dont sound like a fatty. You may just need to tone up. Get a free fitness check up at a gym and get measured properly (eg fat ratio, muscle ratio, heart rate). Then you'll know what you're really dealing with.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I lost a stone and a half in 2 months just by cutting out all juices, soft drinks, alcohol and caffeinated drinks and drinking nothing but water and milk (separately, not mixed :sick:). It's a really underrated way of losing weight.

Also, try and prepare as many of your meals as you can yourself, and start taking a notice of the nutritional info on the back of foods. It's not fats that make you fat, it's simple (high GI) carbohydrates that make you fat. Sugars are high GI, things like oats or bananas are low GI and are much better for you. Try taking the stairs instead of the lift whenever you can, walk anywhere that's less than 2 miles away instead of taking the car, etc.

Not sure if a lot of this applies to you, but they're some good places to get started.

Cut down on portion sizes and eat 4, smaller, healthier meals a day.

Going to the gym is great, you can do cardio for there-and-then calorie burning, or you can do weights to build muscle, which boosts your resting metabolic rate, so you burn more calories even in your sleep. One of my friends (and workout partner) says to me: "If you can't be bothered to go to the gym, you don't want to lose weight enough." No one at the gym will judge you for being overweight, they'll most likely think "Good on ya mate". It might seem intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it, everyone there is so friendly (as a 99.9% rule), you might get the occasional **** in there but everyone will turn against them if they try to put you down.

Another quote, off the top of my head: "Healthy living is like sitting on a chair with four legs, each leg represented by one of the following: Diet, Cardio, Weights and Sleep. With all four legs, it's stable, with three legs it'll wobble, but with two legs it'll fall over."

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
I started just recording everything I ate on My Fitness Pal with a goal of losing 2lb a week in Feb. Lost 2.5 stone so far and can honestly say apart from the booze I've not really missed out on anything. The biggest thing was to cut down on how much rice/pasta/potato I was eating without actually stopping it all. Am also walking 3/4 miles a day at lunchtimes to get some much needed exercise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here