Losing the love for the albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I once had a pie in the posh end of Shoreham. It cost me £5.00 but included chips-beans-mushrooms-black pudding-fried bread-two mugs of tea and half an hour out the back with the waitress---I felt ripped off!:rolleyes:

Exactly my point once the pies hit the £5 ceiling I'm out I'll never watch the Albion again

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Whilst I love the Albion and the Amex, I find myself in agreement with the op. prices are only going up next year and the whole report fellow fans thing and sit down, don't sing songs apart from happy clappy songs thing is pissing me off. I am in the back row of the east upper. There is a wall behind me and I still got asked to sit down (not very politely) by a steward. WTF?

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I've been supporting the mighty stripes for over 20 years, been solidly going to 35+ games a season for about 15 years now, a football club is about the fans and the club for me are so out of touch & have completely forgotten where we've come from & the ones that ensured were here today to a level thats quite obsurd!

For the follwing reasons shown I feel its just not my football club anymore, feels like ive lost a good friend who's won the lottery and now doesnt want to know you anymore and doesnt need you. I used to LOVE going to albion games, my highlight of the week, now it's just something I do and i'd go as far as saying I hate the powers that be at this club for what were tuning into.

I realise we have a ground to pay for, I realise we are tying to attact new fans, I realise we want profit to attract better players and grow the brand but everyday I'm surrouded by the business & politics of my football club thats come to the fore in the last 18 months that the taste in my mouth is getting more harder to swallow and I really dont know how much longer I'll be part of it, then again i'm a number & the club wont really be bothered anyway.

Pricing

£4 pies, £4.50 cheeseburgers - Not only well overpriced, also nothing special, we appear to be paying premiership food prices, why?

£13 car parking, never been to an away ground anywhere in the country and paid that? Why are we being ripped off?

£41 for a Newcastle ticket in a 3rd round cup game, FCUKING WHY?

£635 season ticket - Premiership prices already!

Banning people,stewards, singing songs & atmophere

- Fans getting thrown out for anti palace songs!! Seriously! (what is this perfect zombie lik environment being created)

- Over zelous stewards being instructed to behave in this way by the club to anyone not staying either in silence

- Where I sit if you say fcuk or bollocks your looked at by fellow fans like your an animal (It's the FOOTBALL LOVE)

- The club trying to create this nice, fun and family orientated environment with no swearing, no anti palace songs, Gee up music, comfy seats and sweets and lollipops on sale, how lovely!

Now for the reasons above my amazing football club who rose from the depths have now become a well oiled machine which rips fans off, puts ridiculous rules of what you can fukng sing now, reporting procedure if you hear someone swear but I for one am proud of where weve come from and the real reasons were still here but also embarrassed on the same level as were catering for the new breed and you either conform with no standing, anti anthing rules or fcuk off your banned.

Maybe it's not just the Albion, maybe it' slightly the whole of football that im dissalussioned with, the money, the greed, the tighter rules being implemented, it's just all going in a direction that doesnt fill me will any form of excitement.

Rant over.

I have not had the time to read all the repllies but I agree with you. The first season was amazing at the Amex but this season I am really getting the feeling now that I am following a corparate company and not a football club. I could go a lot deeper but don't really have the time. I have been to some non league games this season and it was OK but kinda miss the 3rd and 4th Division days out with places like Kidderminster or Cheltenham where the burger van caught on fire. Seems a long way off now. They were good fun days out. I will just say that one thing that really winds me up is people who never had a good thing to say about the club in the dark days have now become ardent season tickets holders who make out they are the clubs biggest fans.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I've been supporting the mighty stripes for over 20 years, been solidly going to 35+ games a season for about 15 years now, a football club is about the fans and the club for me are so out of touch & have completely forgotten where we've come from & the ones that ensured were here today to a level thats quite obsurd!

For the follwing reasons shown I feel its just not my football club anymore, feels like ive lost a good friend who's won the lottery and now doesnt want to know you anymore and doesnt need you. I used to LOVE going to albion games, my highlight of the week, now it's just something I do and i'd go as far as saying I hate the powers that be at this club for what were tuning into.

I realise we have a ground to pay for, I realise we are tying to attact new fans, I realise we want profit to attract better players and grow the brand but everyday I'm surrouded by the business & politics of my football club thats come to the fore in the last 18 months that the taste in my mouth is getting more harder to swallow and I really dont know how much longer I'll be part of it, then again i'm a number & the club wont really be bothered anyway.

Pricing

£4 pies, £4.50 cheeseburgers - Not only well overpriced, also nothing special, we appear to be paying premiership food prices, why?

£13 car parking, never been to an away ground anywhere in the country and paid that? Why are we being ripped off?

£41 for a Newcastle ticket in a 3rd round cup game, FCUKING WHY?

£635 season ticket - Premiership prices already!

Banning people,stewards, singing songs & atmophere

- Fans getting thrown out for anti palace songs!! Seriously! (what is this perfect zombie lik environment being created)

- Over zelous stewards being instructed to behave in this way by the club to anyone not staying either in silence

- Where I sit if you say fcuk or bollocks your looked at by fellow fans like your an animal (It's the FOOTBALL LOVE)

- The club trying to create this nice, fun and family orientated environment with no swearing, no anti palace songs, Gee up music, comfy seats and sweets and lollipops on sale, how lovely!

Now for the reasons above my amazing football club who rose from the depths have now become a well oiled machine which rips fans off, puts ridiculous rules of what you can fukng sing now, reporting procedure if you hear someone swear but I for one am proud of where weve come from and the real reasons were still here but also embarrassed on the same level as were catering for the new breed and you either conform with no standing, anti anthing rules or fcuk off your banned.

Maybe it's not just the Albion, maybe it' slightly the whole of football that im dissalussioned with, the money, the greed, the tighter rules being implemented, it's just all going in a direction that doesnt fill me will any form of excitement.

Rant over.

Fully agree with this unfortunately :(

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I will just say that one thing that really winds me up is people who never had a good thing to say about the club in the dark days have now become ardent season tickets holders who make out they are the clubs biggest fans.

Very much this with bells on. I go on Facebook now and all the kids I went to school with are "Off up the Amex". These kids I know for a fact never went to the Goldstone and use to take the piss when I was going to the Withdean and going away to places like Grimsby.

But hay, footballs moved on and guess what? It's only going to get more expensive.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
A ticket to watch league 1 & 2 football at withdean sitting in the p*ssing rain was £24. The catering came in the form of burger vans that would guarantee a day hugging the porcelain if you ever dared consume anything from them. The sportsman took about 50 minutes to queue to get in and that again to get a pint. The stewarding was ridiculous and confrontational and the atmosphere towards the end flat and negative

Now we are at the Amex where in January for £4 more you can watch newcastle in the FA cup under a roof from the comfort of a padded seat with championship football week in week out. You can pay for a season ticket monthly by direct debit which takes the price of a ticket below that of a match by match ticket for withdean. No more can away fans laugh at our club as we have attracted back a fanbase that we thought we had lost and new fans who want to come along for the ride. All this of course has been possible because unlike a faceless overseas benefactor we have a fan running this club who was prepared to put his hand in his pocket and allow us to experience what seemed like a pipe dream for over 10 years

So now we are there within 12 months we are moaning that the pies are expensive, the club is targeting us with marketing and too many fans who were not at Grimsby away are now buying season tickets!!!

I am not sure what people expected but reading through most of these comments I can't help but feel that this is more of people's own insecurities that they are no longer part of a small clique of supporters rather than the way the club is now being ran. Like a band you first saw in a pub before they were famous that years later have 'sold out' because they are playing the O2 and your dad now has their CD in his car.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Very much this with bells on. I go on Facebook now and all the kids I went to school with are "Off up the Amex". These kids I know for a fact never went to the Goldstone and use to take the piss when I was going to the Withdean and going away to places like Grimsby.

But hay, footballs moved on and guess what? It's only going to get more expensive.

Hope you remind them, I certainly do. These same people would go to wembly and the big games wouldn't they.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A ticket to watch league 1 & 2 football at withdean sitting in the p*ssing rain was £24. The catering came in the form of burger vans that would guarantee a day hugging the porcelain if you ever dared consume anything from them. The sportsman took about 50 minutes to queue to get in and that again to get a pint. The stewarding was ridiculous and confrontational and the atmosphere towards the end flat and negative

Now we are at the Amex where in January for £4 more you can watch newcastle in the FA cup under a roof from the comfort of a padded seat with championship football week in week out. You can pay for a season ticket monthly by direct debit which takes the price of a ticket below that of a match by match ticket for withdean. No more can away fans laugh at our club as we have attracted back a fanbase that we thought we had lost and new fans who want to come along for the ride. All this of course has been possible because unlike a faceless overseas benefactor we have a fan running this club who was prepared to put his hand in his pocket and allow us to experience what seemed like a pipe dream for over 10 years

So now we are there within 12 months we are moaning that the pies are expensive, the club is targeting us with marketing and too many fans who were not at Grimsby away are now buying season tickets!!!

I am not sure what people expected but reading through most of these comments I can't help but feel that this is more of people's own insecurities that they are no longer part of a small clique of supporters rather than the way the club is now being ran. Like a band you first saw in a pub before they were famous that years later have 'sold out' because they are playing the O2 and your dad now has their CD in his car.

Could not have put it better, so much was always going to change when your fan base increases massively in one move.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
What the hell am I reading ?

Isn't this what everyone campaigned for over all those years ? Didn't we moan how 'tin pot' we are and that we needed a more professional approach to running a club ?

Well that's what we've got and I for one am loving it , no more are we a club that people look down their noses at. TB and Gus have a mission to turn us into a top club and I'm afraid that doesn't come without a more corporate feel.

I'm bored with the phrase ' well the club aren't listening to the fans' maybe sometimes the fans should listen to the club an accept their view as well.

If you want to support a club with a local feel or a club where you are 'in the know' maybe you should try Eastbourne or Crawley

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Oi! Sit down at the back there, don't sing racist songs about Croydon or we'll through you out. By the way the £28 tickets have sold out, there's only £39 tickets lefts sorry. If you don't like it, support Crawley. We've got loads of fans queuing up to take your place. Don't even think about selling your ticket to someone if you can't make a match, it's against the law!

Thats why I mostly go to Eastbourne Borough now £12 to go in , ground under cover all sides , right next to the action, clubhouse on tap all game at £2.50 a pint . Cheeseburger for £2.50, parking outside the ground and home in 5 minutes.

Glad to see the quality of the football has nothing to do with your decision.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
What the hell am I reading ?

Isn't this what everyone campaigned for over all those years ? Didn't we moan how 'tin pot' we are and that we needed a more professional approach to running a club ?

Well that's what we've got and I for one am loving it , no more are we a club that people look down their noses at. TB and Gus have a mission to turn us into a top club and I'm afraid that doesn't come without a more corporate feel.

I'm bored with the phrase ' well the club aren't listening to the fans' maybe sometimes the fans should listen to the club an accept their view as well.

If you want to support a club with a local feel or a club where you are 'in the know' maybe you should try Eastbourne or Crawley

Don't worry you're not alone. One thing I have learned on this board is any negative thread will get ten times the amount of interest a positive one would.

I love the Albion as much today as I did twenty years ago

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports