Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Losing chief scout Ewan Chester

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Somewhat amazingly this thread is beginning to read as if had Burnley paid Brighton's (potentially over heated) valuation of Stephens, they still wouldn't have bought a striker.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Somewhat amazingly this thread is beginning to read as if had Burnley paid Brighton's (potentially over heated) valuation of Stephens, they still wouldn't have bought a striker.

We dont really buy strikers certainly not the ones that would score the goals to send us up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We dont really buy strikers certainly not the ones that would score the goals to send us up.
Certainly not in this over heated market.
If only we'd bought a couple of strikers when the market was lukewarm.
Although I guess all the clubs projections must be showing that the market is about to cool right off.

We'll be laughing at those chumps spending £8m now, when players will be sold for 2 and 6 in January.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

What ? - Stephens would have gone to Burnley for £10m and we'd have bought a striker.
On the last day of the window ? You really think that ?
Blimey.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What ? - Stephens would have gone to Burnley for £10m and we'd have bought a striker.
On the last day of the window ? You really think that ?
Blimey.
I didn't set a time.

But all this guff about over heated markets and overspending with someone else's money, is all beginning to sound like an Arsene Wenger wet dream.

1 job, 1 striker, 1 failure.

The next thing will be one of the only 3 first team strikers will get injured.
Either H or M, or more likely Baldock, and we'll have to put up with 'that's really bad luck, nobody could have seen that coming'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did we *not* buy a striker because Bloom didn't have enough money because he hadn't sold Stephens or not ? (regardless of when in the window this thing that the club didn't want to happen , happened)

Either it's about money or not.

If the club had enough money but didn't want to pay 'over heated' prices then it's throwing even more money away by doing nothing.
Strikers aren't getting cheaper.

Keeping a player for 12 months, allowing him to walk away for nothing, then having to not only replace him but still need to buy at least 2, now even more expensive, strikers with even less money in the pot is staggeringly stupid.

Don't get me wrong, keeping the squad together should have been a no brainer, and buying Duffy makes perfect sense.

But only when you add 'Better Baldock' to the squad.

Hemed & Murray - Baldock & B'Baldock with the midfield and a solid defence, should have had this team purring.

Without that signing, keeping Stephens and signing Duffy seems pretty pointless.
Not to mention costing an awful lot of money, that will need to be spent elsewhere.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Either it's about money or not.

If the club had enough money but didn't want to pay 'over heated' prices then it's throwing even more money away by doing nothing.
Strikers aren't getting cheaper.

So we didn't buy a striker because of the Stephens shenanigans.
It was just "staggeringly stupid" . Ok. Fair Enough.

Good. I'm glad that's cleared up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So we didn't buy a striker because of the Stephens shenanigans.
It was just "staggeringly stupid" . Ok. Fair Enough.

Good. I'm glad that's cleared up.

Don't you think it's somewhat disingenuous to say the striker market is 'over heated'?
It makes the club look like the first hicks down from the mountain.

Here's a little tip for Mr Barber, and he can have this one for free.

In January and next summer the transfer market for strikers will still be 'over heated', only this time it'll be a little bit hotter.

Either pay the money for the prize asset the squad needs.
Or generate that money

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Don't you think it's somewhat disingenuous to say the striker market is 'over heated'?
---
Or generate that money

- The striker market *is* over heated. Feel free if you want to argue otherwise.
- The club were prepared to spend - £5m or £7m etc for Pritchard - had agreed a fee with Spurs. So its disengenuous to keep denying they won't.
- Or "generate that money" - i suggest you collar Tony Bloom next time you see him on the train etc and tell him he should cough up more of his money to buy a striker, *any* striker and see where that gets you.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It makes the club look like the first hicks down from the mountain.

Is that all you care about - how we look to others? Diddums.

Of course the striker market is over-heated.

Not in your world, of course. But then, given your posts, you'd throw the mythical money you believe the club operates with, just to satisfy your salacious cravings. Meanwhile, back in the real world, the Albion don't have the resources to spend on eight-figure transfer fee strikers. Tony Bloom might have it personally, but you'd be so reckless with his money to the point you wouldn't last five minutes in your fantasy job.

Or generate that money

If only the club had thought of that. Gobbing off from behind your keyboard about how to do a job you have no idea of doing might be great in your world, but in the real world, it doesn't quite work like that.

You've barked an order of 'generate more money' like you know exactly how to do it. You tell us how the club should do it. And bear in mind we are talking about an increase in turnover of around 30-40%. Go for it - let us know...

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
A real blow losing him, such a key part of the set-up and we subsequently had a non-event of a transfer window, but the Championship's a great division and we must embrace it for the foreseeable...and probably way beyond that. :)

Could be the reason he is going.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Is it? Definitely? 100% certain? How do you define that?

Yes, strikers are going for large sums of money. but that doesn't necessarily equate to the market being over-heated. It could merely be inflation.

For something to be over-heated, I would think there is a belief that some form of normality will return where, in this case, 'normal' means cheaper strikers. I'm not convinced that is going to happen any time soon, given the Premier League riches available that clubs either have or are trying to obtain.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Yes, strikers are going for large sums of money. but that doesn't necessarily equate to the market being over-heated. It could merely be inflation.

For something to be over-heated, I would think there is a belief that some form of normality will return where, in this case, 'normal' means cheaper strikers. I'm not convinced that is going to happen any time soon, given the Premier League riches available that clubs either have or are trying to obtain.

I do believe so.

In order to get what the quality we need, we'd need to pay more than for the equivalent-quality midfielder or defender. The demand is outstripping supply, and hence prices are going up. They may well come down again, but only when there are more decent enough strikers coming onto the 'market'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
- The striker market *is* over heated. Feel free if you want to argue otherwise.
- The club were prepared to spend - £5m or £7m etc for Pritchard - had agreed a fee with Spurs. So its disengenuous to keep denying they won't.
- Or "generate that money" - i suggest you collar Tony Bloom next time you see him on the train etc and tell him he should cough up more of his money to buy a striker, *any* striker and see where that gets you.

Is that all you care about - how we look to others? Diddums.

Not in your world, of course. But then, given your posts, you'd throw the mythical money you believe the club operates with, just to satisfy your salacious cravings. Meanwhile, back in the real world, the Albion don't have the resources to spend on eight-figure transfer fee strikers. Tony Bloom might have it personally, but you'd be so reckless with his money to the point you wouldn't last five minutes in your fantasy job.

If only the club had thought of that. Gobbing off from behind your keyboard about how to do a job you have no idea of doing might be great in your world, but in the real world, it doesn't quite work like that.

You've barked an order of 'generate more money' like you know exactly how to do it. You tell us how the club should do it. And bear in mind we are talking about an increase in turnover of around 30-40%. Go for it - let us know...

Don't be so pathetic, the pair of you, it's beneath both of you.

Bozza is clearly more eloquent than me, as that's the point I've been trying to make.

The striker market isn't 'over heated', it's been this stupid for over 30 years.
To be 'surprised' about it now, is disingenuous, and treating us like morons.

Keep the team together brilliant.
Improve on the team, excellent.
Hemed Murray & Baldock isn't an improvement.

I'd go so far as to say it's the weakest front line (quite possibly in the division) but for these purposes I'd say top 10 teams.
Oh and I was making this point after the 3-0 beating of Forest.

We are saying the club is currently asset rich but cash 'poor' and has known of a player shortfall for at least 12 months.
It needed to make the money work, no matter how unpalatable.
Because the consequences of not doing so are potentially disastrous.

As said on the Duffy thread:-

Any team that has more creditable centre backs than centre forwards has got it wrong'.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Don't be so pathetic, the pair of you, it's beneath both of you.

Bozza is clearly more eloquent than me, as that's the point I've been trying to make.

The striker market isn't 'over heated', it's been this stupid for over 30 years.
To be 'surprised' about it now, is disingenuous, and treating us like morons.

Keep the team together brilliant.
Improve on the team, excellent.
Hemed Murray & Baldock isn't an improvement.

I'd go so far as to say it's the weakest front line (quite possibly in the division) but for these purposes I'd say top 10 teams.
Oh and I was making this point after the 3-0 beating of Forest.

We are saying the club is currently asset rich but cash 'poor' and has known of a player shortfall for at least 12 months.
It needed to make the money work, no matter how unpalatable.
Because the consequences of not doing so are potentially disastrous.

As said on the Duffy thread:-

Any team that has more creditable centre backs than centre forwards has got it wrong'.

its your rhetoric thats over heated i'm afraid SB. ...
- arguing in several posts, without any evidence, that we didn't buy a striker because we didn't sell Stephens - nope
- the club aren't treating us "like morons" - they've explained it. and you disagree. Nobody is calling you a moron.
- we have the worst front line in the division - Really. You might think so . i'm struggling to find anyone else. Not by any stretch or stats or evidence.
- saying the club is surprised at the state of the market- where did they say that ? - i can't find it.
- Murray isn't a upgrade on Zamora - the player he replaced ? - most would say he is.
- How many centre backs we have (ie: the same as last year - 4 first team CBs) is irrelevant. and we'd "get it wrong" if we hadn't replaced Greer as you seem to be arguing.
- Suggesting, in fact, insisting the club should have ability to compete with the finances of Norwich, Villa, and Newcastle - they can't.
- And insisting the club "generate the cash" to do likewise. - How ? I'm all ears...

Bozza is an eloquent chap. - yes. you got that bit right !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I do believe so.

In order to get what the quality we need, we'd need to pay more than for the equivalent-quality midfielder or defender. The demand is outstripping supply, and hence prices are going up. They may well come down again, but only when there are more decent enough strikers coming onto the 'market'.

I don't think it is. I think what you call an "over-heated market" is what I'd call "the market". Neither of us know, of course. I don't have a crystal ball and I don't think you do either.

Until such time as the Premier League/Sky bubble bursts, the market for players that could either keep a club in the Premier League and/or get a club promoted from the Championship is going to be booming.

Please, don't take this as criticism of the club though. As much as I am disappointed that we don't have a fourth striker, the club clearly did try but there were no options available to them that would improve the squad sufficiently for what they were going to cost.

I do wonder if we are slowly going to become uncompetitive however with clubs with lower half Premier League clubs, parachute cash-laden Championship clubs and those who are prepared to really "go for it" meaning that we'll need to cross our fingers with more speculative transfers more than ever before.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I don't think it is. I think what you call an "over-heated market" is what I'd call "the market". Neither of us know, of course. I don't have a crystal ball and I don't think you do either.

Until such time as the Premier League/Sky bubble bursts, the market for players that could either keep a club in the Premier League and/or get a club promoted from the Championship is going to be booming.

Please, don't take this as criticism of the club though. As much as I am disappointed that we don't have a fourth striker, the club clearly did try but there were no options available to them that would improve the squad sufficiently for what they were going to cost.

I do wonder if we are slowly going to become uncompetitive however with clubs with lower half Premier League clubs, parachute cash-laden Championship clubs and those who are prepared to really "go for it" meaning that we'll need to cross our fingers with more speculative transfers more than ever before.

Largely agree.

All the while the bubble doesn't burst, and clubs - esp PL clubs - continue their kamikaze business model, things will only get worse for the likes of us - or 'overheat' - to the point that we can't compete. This summer has shown that we could well be getting very close to that point.

Put it this way - it's not getting any easier for us any time soon.

But to argue over the semantics of whether one considers the market is 'overheating' compared to SB's contention that the club doesn't know what it's doing (like Barber needs his advice) is a bit of a folly.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

What measure of inflation are you thinking of? Its not a word I'd personally use with football

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Fair comment, about the quality of staff.
But the point I was, badly, making is best recruitment team in the world can't do the job if they aren't given the money.

It seems pretty clear that the recruiters aren't given 'striker' money when out shopping for a striker.
Chances are they're probably supposed to come back with change, too.

This is the squad that won the Premier League last season and how much they cost to buy:
LEICESTER

Kasper Schmeichel - £2m
Danny Simpson - £2m
Robert Huth - £3m
Wes Morgan - £1m
Christian Fuchs - Free
Marcin Wasilewski - Free
Marc Albrighton - Free
Danny Drinkwater - £1m
N'Golo Kante - £5.6m
Riyad Mahrez - £400,000
Shinji Okazaki - £7m
Jamie Vardy - £1m
Mark Schwarzer - Free
Jeffrey Schlupp - Free
Demarai Gray - £3.8m
Andrej Kramaric - £7m
Yohan Benalouane - £5.6m
Andy King - Free
Gokhan Inler - £5m
Leonardo Ulloa - £10m
=================
TOTAL: £54.4m

This shows that you don't have to spend big to be successful otherwise they would have ended up behind
Tottenham = TOTAL: £161.1m
Arsenal = TOTAL: £251.9m
Man City = TOTAL: £418.8m

Our fans are very anti cheap signings, they like to deem them poor quality and like give them abuse, often slating their ability before they have even kicked a ball for us

We have seen with some of our signings that there are quality players out there that can be picked up cheaply and well below their true market value and that someone having a big price tag and big transfer fee doesn't make them that much greater than someone who may cost a fraction of the price (Torres to Chelsea for example or more recently Jamie Vardy - £1m vs Wilfried Bony - £28m)

It's surely about getting the right player(s) in rather than price and if targets are scarce and of the ones there are, either the player of their current clubs are unwilling to let them join us (like we were unwilling to let Stephens go to Burnley) then more money may not make the difference in completing the deals (who wants a player who doesn't really want to join us and only eventually comes here because we are prepared to pay a kings ransom in wages for him to even consider it?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here