Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Losing chief scout Ewan Chester

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
We need to take a few more punts on lower division players. Trouble is there is a sense of entitlement among our "new" fans. Brentford have signed a lot of quality from the lower divisions.
We have done well with Goldson.
Await bollox about O'Grady. I don't care.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Bloody disappointing when OPs post on here being overly critical about staff, when there's very little chance they have a clue what goes on behind the scenes. I think pretty much all of us would be pizzed off, hearing criticism of our own input to our employment by someone that knows bugger all about it! Was Ewan solely responsible for bringing in those mentioned? What was Paul Winstanley doing when this was going on? :down:

Reading NSC today you'd be inclined to believe we'd lost half a dozen games on the trot...not played one poor game.

TWO poor games on the trot actually, two 2-0 defeats

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
We need to take a few more punts on lower division players. Trouble is there is a sense of entitlement among our "new" fans. Brentford have signed a lot of quality from the lower divisions.
We have done well with Goldson.
Await bollox about O'Grady. I don't care.

You are dead right, that's the way Brentford do it, cherry pick the better players from league one. At the end of the day, if they are stand out players in that division then there is a good chance they will succeed in the championship. Remember being very impressed with Ryan Woods ( the ginger lad) last season whom they signed from Shrewsbury. Never went yesterday so not sure how he played.oh and O'Grady came from a team in our division who had just gone down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We didn't need to do just "minimal business" - we've signed 5 ex prem and/or international players (as well as strengthen the u23 squad)
but yes, as you say, the "emphasis" in the window was signing "one of the strikers earmarked in the last 12 months", Pritchard, who wasn't being shopped for in the "bargain basement"
Not landing Pritchard had nothing do with selling anyone.
Not signing Pritchard might be a mistake, might be a "terrible" mistake but we have 40 games to go that presumably you've written off.

I guess you'd have rather we bought a player , anyone - that
- Hughton didn't want
- Was over priced

and don't believe we were prepared to spend at least £7m or more getting the right striker so by definition weren't shopping in the "bargain basement" even in the over inflated market that is the Championship.

Did the club NEED to sign 5 ex prem and/or international players - no
Did the club NEED to sign another specific striker - yes.

I thought the pilchard deal was nearer 'only' £5m with extensive add-ons (fookin ridiculous money)

Has the club spent this mythical money elsewhere - no.

All strikers are overpriced, that's the point.

I find it hard to believe CH is happy with H&M + Baldock and the player he's spent 10 months trying to off load.
I'd be amazed if he blocked the signing of 'a body' because be didn't want him, in favour of relying on those 3.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
TWO poor games on the trot actually, two 2-0 defeats

EnreSt, your smarter than that...we didn't play that badly AWAY against NEWCASTLE FFS! Losing 2-0 and with only 10 men for the last half hour, there won't be many points taken from them at home this season. Trouble dealing with you, is one never really knows whether it's just a wind up, or you actually believe what you say! :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think Ernest was more concerned about how we performed at Newcastle rather than the actual result. After going a goal down we never looked like pulling it back and prior to them even scoring they completely outplayed us in midfield and it was only when they would score not if. This was tghen followed by an abysmal performance again yesterday although CH managed to see some good points.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Did the club NEED to sign 5 ex prem and/or international players - no
Did the club NEED to sign another specific striker - yes.

I thought the pilchard deal was nearer 'only' £5m with extensive add-ons (fookin ridiculous money)

Has the club spent this mythical money elsewhere - no.
All strikers are overpriced, that's the point.

I find it hard to believe CH is happy with H&M + Baldock and the player he's spent 10 months trying to off load.
I'd be amazed if he blocked the signing of 'a body' because be didn't want him, in favour of relying on those 3.

- They *needed* to replace Greer, [JFC, Ince, Holla], Zamora, and Rosenior (Injured). Needed. Arguably reason we didn't get promoted last season was the depth of the squad in all areas.
- The money isn't mythical - is it ? Bloom seems to be spending an awful lot of this mythical money. Turning down offers left right and centre and offering expensive new contracts to half the squad (that unfortunately they don't all seem in a rush to sign)
- As for Hughton then be amazed... Barber said yesterday "Fans know we will only spend money on players that strengthen our squad and in a over heated market, we won't over pay for alternatives that simply don't meet the managers objectives" -

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
- They *needed* to replace Greer, [JFC, Ince, Holla], Zamora, and Rosenior (Injured). Needed. Arguably reason we didn't get promoted last season was the depth of the squad in all areas.
- The money isn't mythical - is it ? Bloom seems to be spending an awful lot of this mythical money. Turning down offers left right and centre and offering expensive new contracts to half the squad (that unfortunately they don't all seem in a rush to sign)
- As for Hughton then be amazed... Barber said yesterday "Fans know we will only spend money on players that strengthen our squad and in a over heated market, we won't over pay for alternatives that simply don't meet the managers objectives" -
So we have the deep joy of lumbering slowly towards January and not buying a striker then either, because once again Barber will be surprised just how expensive they are.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ewan Chester wasn't Chief Scout at Albion

He was Chief Scout at most clubs he has been at but not at Albion - Fair to say then that before we all pass judgement on Paul Winstanley it would be better if people actually knew what the set up was and or is.

Ewan did not unearth all the good ones and the bad ones down to others. I don't know who found who - I would guess that there is a mixture of good and bad amongst them all. Ewan is good at what he does and he is a loss to the club but he wanted to be closer to Scotland so we move on

Now, don't you come on here with your facts. It spoils a good binfest. Never mind, the OP got the wrong name from five years ago, and the wrong job description, we've lost a couple of games, so someone has got to be at fault. Thems the rules!! :)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So we have the deep joy of lumbering slowly towards January and not buying a striker then either, because once again Barber will be surprised just how expensive they are.

Well we certainly won't be buying anyone until then so i suppose we'll have to get used to it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Now, don't you come on here with your facts. It spoils a good binfest. Never mind, the OP got the wrong name from five years ago, and the wrong job description, we've lost a couple of games, so someone has got to be at fault. Thems the rules!! :)

I think the vast majority on here saw him as Chief Scout even if that wasnt his official title. Mind the refuse operatives used to be called dustmen but do the same job.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think the vast majority on here saw him as Chief Scout even if that wasnt his official title. Mind the refuse operatives used to be called dustmen but do the same job.

You know what the vast majority on here think? Wow.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You know what the vast majority on here think? Wow.

That is going by posts and people I speak with. I would think that had you asked the question what was his position a large proportion of supporters would have said chief scout, other of course than those well in with the club who knew his exact position and job description. I could of course be wrong and no doubt you will tell me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That is going by posts and people I speak with. I would think that had you asked the question what was his position a large proportion of supporters would have said chief scout, other of course than those well in with the club who knew his exact position and job description. I could of course be wrong and no doubt you will tell me.

Would I tell you that you were wrong?

To be honest, I think the vast majority would have said 'don't know'.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Chris doesn't like to overspend with someone else's money either. He is not like Harry Redknapp who would let a Chairman waste money on players who are so overpriced or would not improve on what his club already had.

I know at least 2 players that he told Norwich were not worth the money being asked for them. He thought they were decent players but no way were they valued at the price that they eventually paid.

He wants the Chairman to give him a fighting chance of getting to the Premiership in terms of investment in the squad but in return he has to be sensible with someone else's money and investment into the club - That's the deal.

The Chairman has done brilliantly since CH has been at Brighton. We will be right up there again this season but we all know that there is a lot of competition out there

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I'd be surprised if more than 5% of yesterdays attendance had ever heard of Ewan Chester.
I hadnt till reading this thread, and i've been following the club since 1964, only people involved in the scouting and recruitment whose names I know are Paul
Winstanley and Warren Aspinell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here