Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Losing 2-1 in a CUP match, on 89 mins bring on a striker - Discuss!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Bemused by this - it can only because of payment by appearances related surely? If not, then I am beginning to seriously question our coaching staff.

Utterly insane and ridiculous if i was Obika i would be begging to return to Spurs in the morning .
The fella has been getting a lot of stick but so far he has played probably less than 30 minutes for us if that, he needs a whole game !!!
No wonder he doesnt look up for it ever would you ???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I really don't think Obika coming on 15 minutes earlier would have made any difference. He only came on because Spanish Dave was tired, I think Oscar's already worked out Obika's shit.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Same clowns who said he's awful moan that he didn't come on earlier.

Ridiculous.

Well Yes, he is awful.

But he's still a body upfront. He's a lump, another body for the Hull defence to worry about, another player to aim for in the box. Not bringing on an attacking player when we're losing 2-1 in a cup game is mental. We might have lost 3-1, but it doesn't matter it's a cup game! He probably wouldn't have changed the game, but that doesn't excuse the fact that him or Buckley should have came on the second we got it back to 2-1.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Agree that it was a ridiculous decision. If he's worth bringing on, then 75 mins latest.

Most definitely.

A seemingly lost game could have at least been made more interesting with Obika and Leo up front for the last 15 or 20 minutes.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bemused by this - it can only because of payment by appearances related surely? If not, then I am beginning to seriously question our coaching staff.

If he got a last minute equaliser and then missed a penalty as Lopez was off. I thought the decision was not thought out and time wasting. Hardly ever (=never) do I think a sub should be made late in the game as it is hard to get up to speed.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Well Yes, he is awful.

But he's still a body upfront. He's a lump, another body for the Hull defence to worry about, another player to aim for in the box. Not bringing on an attacking player when we're losing 2-1 in a cup game is mental. We might have lost 3-1, but it doesn't matter it's a cup game! He probably wouldn't have changed the game, but that doesn't excuse the fact that him or Buckley should have came on the second we got it back to 2-1.

Yeah, whatever people might think of him so far, he came to us on the back of scoring 6 in one game.
Had to give us a chance of nicking something, but not with 2 minutes to go.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
If he got a last minute equaliser and then missed a penalty as Lopez was off. I thought the decision was not thought out and time wasting. Hardly ever (=never) do I think a sub should be made late in the game as it is hard to get up to speed.

The only reason I would do it is if a player is badly injured.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I am convinced that Obika has it written in his loan agreement that he will play some part in each game. Surely OG has no faith in him if he needs a goal only sends home on with a couple of minutes to go. Personally I would say thanks to Spurs and send him back to them!

Yes, I too am bemused by this. I cannot for the life of me see the point of bringing on a striker with one minute to go, so you could well be right. But I don't derive much comfort from that either - we had apparently been courting him for months, as NJ knew him from old, and if we only send him on for one minute, for whatever reason, when chasing a game the winning of which could net us so much cash in the next round, it can only be that he is seen as not good enough. Something doesn't add up in my humble opinion.:down:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I agree. This was the one decision that baffled me. On 80 minutes I was screaming at the TV to bring Obika on (we can discuss his merits on another thread), but nothing from the bench. Mrs Hamilton and I were then dismayed to see him given 2 minutes plus stoppage time to make an impact.

Against Wigan, when we bought on a predominantly attacking set up we took control of the last 20 minutes of the second half. We should have done the same here. Admittedly, had we equalised and been asked to defend then it could have been a real heart in mouth time.

Also, the last corner we had. Every player, including Brez, should have been in the box. We were about to go out for goodness sake. Why weren't the entire team told to get in the box?

I'll add. I'm still enjoying the football. I'm trying to be constructive.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I agree. This was the one decision that baffled me. On 80 minutes I was screaming at the TV to bring Obika on (we can discuss his merits on another thread), but nothing from the bench. Mrs Hamilton and I were then dismayed to see him given 2 minutes plus stoppage time to make an impact.

Against Wigan, when we bought on a predominantly attacking set up we took control of the last 20 minutes of the second half. We should have done the same here. Admittedly, had we equalised and been asked to defend then it could have been a real heart in mouth time.

Also, the last corner we had. Every player, including Brez, should have been in the box. We were about to go out for goodness sake. Why weren't the entire team told to get in the box?

I'll add. I'm still enjoying the football. I'm trying to be constructive.

Risk taking doesn't seem to be one of our game plans

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here