Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lose = good performance. Win = bad performance. NSC logic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm as interested in the commonly expressed view that we 'should' have been 3 or 4 down by half-time. No we shouldn't. The fact that they hit the woodwork doesn't mean that it 'should' have been a goal. For instance, the one that hit the post - if he had shot more accurately so that the trajectory of the ball was such that it would have gone between the posts, it may well have deflected off a defender and gone wide anyway!

'Could' have been 3-up, fine. But not 'should'. They were not three goals better than us in the first half.

That's true - they were about 8 goals better than us.

But fortunately they were also Burnley so couldn't capitalise on just how poor the Albion were.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
That's true - they were about 8 goals better than us.

But fortunately they were also Burnley so couldn't capitalise on just how poor the Albion were.

The thing is, the key to being poor, is to still be resilient - as a few sides showed against us last season. The flip side to us being poor is Burnley needed to foul a player to score, needed our keeper to flap at one to hit the bar, and needed us to pass it straight to them to hit the post. Were they 8, or even 2 or 3 goals better than us? No. Did they deserve to go in 1 nil up, yes.

As we also found last season, you can be a lot better than we were against Burnley and come away with diddly-squat.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It is worth noting that our XG rounded was 2 and Burnley’s was 1. Their goal should have been disallowed (and I am not sure how they didn’t see red for one of the two foot in face as he was not in control or the elbow). Yes we were not great but we were the better side (they didn’t have a shot on target second half).

I would also note that we have not had much of a pre season compared to them. We had players at the euros and Olympics. How much had trossard played before that match? About an hour? And we had the late issue of veltman dropping out.

All in all a good win despite being crap in the first half and no proper pre season.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Player ratings often take little account of the opposition. Also, I find it difficult to understand why or how people rate players after watching the game on television. All they are doing is following the ball around. That’s a part but not all of performance and misses the context seen when actually being in the stadium.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That's why the bookies with all their analytical data have us finishing 10th to 12th.
They take the emotion out of how they risk their money and base it on the evidence of likely performance.

It's us, the tribal fans that get emotionally drained by individual results rather than looking at the bigger picture.

It's in our DNA to be frustrated and criticise when mistakes happen during overall good performances.

They don’t. They make prices based upon money flows, just like any market makers. It is punters who analyze value and make bets.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I thought we were dreadful on Saturday and very lucky to win. Should've been 3-4 down at half time. Some games last season we were excellent all game and lost.

Why can't football fans actually assess a performance properly?

I know there's a whole tribalism thing going on - which I'll never understand - but the player ratings threads are a real eye opener. 6's, 7's and 8's across the 90 minutes. The ball bounces in off Ben Mee's arse in the 94th minute? The same players get 4's and 5's.

I thought we were bloody terrible 1st half but all of the subs made a positive contribution and we were significantly better in the 2nd period and created a few good openings. It wasn't stellar by any stretch but winning against those anti football ********s was significant too? All in all we were undercooked and it showed.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
FFS !

I spent the whole of last season, with people wittering on about how performance didn't matter it was goals and points that count.

We had 8 shots on target against Burnley, scored 2 of them and won the game.
Yeah we were pretty shit in the first half, but that had more to do with formation, lack of preparation and readjusting to fans at away games (imo)
We were decent enough in the 2nd half (actually way better than I was expecting, after a pretty tepid pre-season)

Very few teams will have produced their best performance of the season last weekend.
Can't we just accept that' it's a decent start?

As an aside, I wonder how many Palace fans were concerned about how poor they were against us at the Amex?

Last edited:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Far more negative. The rule is never give bhafc any credit and always put any good results down to pure luck.

I do think there is a sizeable minority on NSC who think like this(or at least of posters-maybe not readers).

Its difficult for fans to be objective, especially just after a game has finished. However, surely no one can disagree that we were incredibly unlucky with some games last season, and if you add the points just a few of the bad luck games (Dunks on/off/on/off goal, and the Man Utd Penalty after extra time, plus a couple others then we would have been substantially better off,and finished several places higher although there was some woeful finishing at times which isn't bad luck, its bad finishing.

Usually you would expect that luck to by and large even out over the season, last year I am struggling to remember a game where the luck went with us. It was about time then that a bit of luck went our way, and against Burnley first half it certainly did. Hopefully this season, the luck will be more evenly split, good and bad

That we were woeful first half is beyond question, and if we play like that all season then we are down,and to read some posts on here that is what some people seem to think is a certainty.However, we didnt even play like that all that game, let a lone the rest of the season, and if we play like the majority of the second half we will be fine

What we have to do as fans is to try and objectively see what is bad luck, good luck, poor performance and good performance. Not just from BHAFC but the opposition and referees as well.

Last season we had some shocking decisions against us, (Dunks "goal", the after full time penalty to name but two) but again you would hope that these are evened out over the year. Refereeing standards were very varriable from game to game and inconsistent and that was the gripe last year , again I struggle to find instances where goals, penalty decisions went our way, but plenty went the other. Hopefully the gods of football will be more even handed with us this time, and those inconsistencies and bad calls will even out, and perhaps the more pessimistic fans will be less doom and gloom and more objective

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The biggest bit of luck in the Burnley game was for Burnley. Many neutral observers surprised their goal was allowed to stand and Gudmondsson wasn't sent off for his challenge on Bissouma.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No one remembers we played well and lost, they will remember Mac’s winner. Last season was frustrating the playing well and losing was an excuse we didn’t play well because we didn’t score the whole point of playing a game of football is to score.

If we won 15 games playing crap for 60 minutes I couldn’t care less the majority of last season was as dull as dish water.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
NSC is full of bell ends

and I'm one of them

I think most of us can say this, getting caught up in the heat of the moment and spouting absolute cack . . . If you say it on the terraces it gets forgotten in 30 seconds . . .post it here and its permanent. . .

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Standard approach of a football fan I'd say, certainly not specific to NSC or Brighton fans. Ask Palace after their game at the AMEX last season!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
OP here. Interesting replies. I know there is zero point brow beating or trying to "correct" this stuff, but it can be very frustrating as someone who loves and understands football just as much as I love my club.

It's those small margins between being cack all game and scoring a last minute goal and the narrative is "great spirit, fighting til the end, Potter got us believing"... Or conceding one and "shite all game, never looked like getting anything" and then the inevitable massacre of our players/Potter afterwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here