Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Los Angeles help needed.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Hi Guys,

Im off for a 3 week road trip around the US West Coast on tuesday visiting LA, San Fran,Vegas & San Diego.

My mates are meeting me there as they are in New Zealand travelling, problem is they were supposed to meet me at the airport on Tuesday but their flight is cancelled due to ash cloud.

Can anyone recommend a nice & safe place to chill out on my tod for a day or so?

I was thinking either Venice beach or Santa Monica?

Any sensible suggestions appreciated.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Probably won't fit your schedule but I'd hang around in San Diego, beautiful city.

Great weather, lovely beaches, lots to see, no smog unlike LA, and you can watch all the US Marines training on the beaches every morning if that's your bag :love:

Plus it's where Anchorman was set: what's not to like?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yosemite national park is wonderful. Bit of a trek perhaps. Can't remember how long it took to get there as it was over a decade ago, but highly recommended.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Really need somewhere for about 24 hours tops that is safe and close ish to LAX airport. I hope its only 24 hours anyway!!!

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Got to be Santa Barbara, its beautiful.

Fairly easy to to get to from LA, quite a small place, wonderful beaches and real chill-out town.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I spent a day in and around Hollywood. From memory me and one other stored our luggage at the airport. They did have secure lockers one could rent in the short term. I'll take a trip down memory lane tonight when i get in and plot where i went and where i stayed if useful to you.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The area of Hollywood itself is something of a dive though, once you get past all the movie glamour.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Get a hostel in Hollywood for a day, cheap and cheerful and gives you a base to explore the area. Should be about 30 minutes from LAX by taxi/shuttle bus

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Santa Monica is safe and nice

Santa barbra is too far north.

THIS is the correct answer.

Santa Monica pier is a hoot,and route 66 ends here.Nice on Venice Beach,and if you're "athletically minded" there's Muscle Beach.

Sta Barbara is also exceptional,but as someone has posted,too far north if you are time limited.

Yosemite is indeed beautiful,but at least a day away.Good if you want to avoid your chums !

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Would thoroughly recommend Santa Monica. Rent a bike from the place just south of the pier, and spend a few hours riding up and down the boardwalk. Check out the Venice Beach area. The shopping is pretty swanky, if you're interested. It's quite cool watching the sunset from the Pacific Coast Highway just north of the pier. If you have more time, go up to the Griffith Park observatory - amazing views over LA, especially at night.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Thanks everyone. Still no news on their flight......due to this bloody ash cloud.

Santa Monica it is.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Just heard, mates arnt getting in until Thursday now. 2 days on me tod out there, tis cool.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Really need somewhere for about 24 hours tops that is safe and close ish to LAX airport. I hope its only 24 hours anyway!!!

There's a cool and inexpensive motel right on the beach in Hermosa/Redondo Beach, and it's right on the front a few yards off the sand. You can walk to bars, it's 5 miles max south of LAX. You have to do the search for the name though, as I don't remember it.
Check out the websites for the local motels/hostels and check it on google maps, you'll soon find out.

Best call ahead because surfers are thereabouts now, and if they're full ask them to recommend an alternative as I bet they know somewhere.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Just heard, mates arnt getting in until Thursday now. 2 days on me tod out there, tis cool.

Mate, first off, I live about 30 minutes south of LAX in Huntington Beach, and if there is anything I can do to help just pm me.

Second, if you have 48 hours there then I suggest something not to far, places to miss in my opinion.

Downtown LA - all business and about 40 minutes and $50 in a taxi, nothing to see.

Hollywierd. - Equally as far away, and down right horrible. 30 minutes there and you have seen it all.

Venice Beach, freak town, grotty and beggars paradise, another place you could knock off in an afternoon.

Places to stay.
Santa Monica - ok, not my first choice, the beach is not immediately accessible, a bit of a walk and then across the PCH highway and then a lengthy walk across the sand, to look at well...the sea. Does have the pier, but more of a day trip place, chick friendly shopping dominates the main street promenade.

NO 1 choice is Manhatten or Hermosa Beach. So close to the airport, (second town south after El Segundo, which is so close to the airport you can see faces in the plane windows - about 15 minutes in a cab or shuttle)
Both have town centers with a good food and bar scene, right on the beach, but the best part is the pathway that runs along the beach there. You can rent a bike and then ride the 20 miles that is runs north and south, all the way up to Santa Monica in the North, a good few hours peddle, or south to Redondo beach and the harbors, very flat and the best part Manhattan and Hermosa are both are good walking towns.

If you rent a car, you are more than welcome to come down here for a beer and and some fodder, I would offer a room, but I am full up with parents and inlaws ready for my birthday mid week.

As I said, let me know if you get super stuck, I am sure I can help you out somehow. If not, have fun and enjoy the eye candy on the beaches, we are expecting good weather mid week, in the 80's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here