Lord Lucan - has there ever been a thread on here about it?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I've always had an interest in this mystery, compounded by the fact now that

a) I live close to Newhaven where his car was abandoned after the murder in London with incriminating evidence in the boot
b) People like Jimmy Goldsmith who were mixed up in the whole business went on to shape British politics (Goldsmith's son is now MP for Richmond Park)
c) we all love a whodunnit or what happened next

and now d) it appears that the DI in charge of the case, Roy Ranson - presumably now dead - believed Lucan may have left the country later in a private plane flown by Graham Hill, the F1 racing driver, and at that time head of a new F1 team. Hill himself later died almost exactly a year later in a plane crash over Arkley gof-course in North london.

This means a lot to me as I am distantly related by marriage to the hill family and Graham was my boyhood hero. I really can't get my head around the possibility that he got involved with the Clermont set as he had very much a lower middle-class background, not like them toffs.

Anybody else in NSC land got thoughts on this topic?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Found that airport security still joke about it..last year coming thru Gatwick, the bloke looked at my passport and turned to colleague and said... Lucan...Lord.....
Gave me back passport and carried on with next passenger....guess it passes their days...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"Is he lying on the Downs,
Rotting in the grass?
Or is he hid behind the cloak,
Of the British ruling class?

I don't know!"

The Dodgems! Any one else remember them? Lush?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
There I was hoping for a meaningful discussion about one of the great mysteries of the second half of the 20th century...get more about the second-half of Albion reserves games here.:annoyed:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
It seems that Lord Lucan settled in Capetown after fleeing Britain in the seventies and had a sex change operation at the Groote Schuur Hospital. He then opened a brothel catering mainly for the rich and well connected.

Lucan operated under the name Lucy Lord for many lucrative years, enjoying protection from the authorities for various services rendered, presumably of a sexual nature.

Lucy is well tanned and still quite slim, with breast implants and regular botox lip injections he/she looks just like one of the natives.

At seventy six one would expect the old expat to be slowing down, but late last year Lucy was spotted leaving the Geneva clinic of Dr Herman H Clitterman after a rebore and sleeve procedure, proving there is still life in the old dog.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
There I was hoping for a meaningful discussion about one of the great mysteries of the second half of the 20th century...get more about the second-half of Albion reserves games here.:annoyed:

Not quite sure what you expect to be added - a story nearly 40 years old, that no-one will ever have the answer to, and people throwing up ridiculous theories, presumably for their own gain. I see no milage in it, sorry.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The threads committed suicide, or could have been sneaked on to a foreign forum

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Not quite sure what you expect to be added - a story nearly 40 years old, that no-one will ever have the answer to, and people throwing up ridiculous theories, presumably for their own gain. I see no milage in it, sorry.

Well...the fact that so much of the mystery took place in the Albion catchment area, and there are so many conflicting stories...

I just got a book from a local bookshop called "The Troops of Midian" which purports to be a detailed analysis of the Lucan story, in a context of the conspiracies to overthrow the Wilson government of the time. The book alleges that there was a private "army" used by MI5 and available for hire, which was used by the Clermont set to provide Lucan's escape AFTER the so-called Newhaven ferry exit.

Local sources here near Newhaven, say someone was seen on the boat that night resembling Lucan, but presumably French customs didn't register him.

On the other hand the maid of the Maxwell-Scotts, where he was last DEFINITELY seen near Uckfield on the night of the murder, is alleged in the book to have seen him there - with luggage - the night AFTER the murder. She was then allegedly sworn to secrecy. What happened to her? She was only a teenager then.

As I said, through the Graham Hill connection, I have a personal involvement. And often things come out in the wash after years when people think that there's no harm in diclosing information when the main dangers are dead.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"Is he lying on the Downs,
Rotting in the grass?
Or is he hid behind the cloak,
Of the British ruling class?

I don't know!"

The Dodgems! Any one else remember them? Lush?

Or in The Claremont Club playing another game of chance.

I think these are the words.

Yes, I think I still have the seven inch at my fathers.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Well...the fact that so much of the mystery took place in the Albion catchment area, and there are so many conflicting stories...

I just got a book from a local bookshop called "The Troops of Midian" which purports to be a detailed analysis of the Lucan story, in a context of the conspiracies to overthrow the Wilson government of the time. The book alleges that there was a private "army" used by MI5 and available for hire, which was used by the Clermont set to provide Lucan's escape AFTER the so-called Newhaven ferry exit.

Local sources here near Newhaven, say someone was seen on the boat that night resembling Lucan, but presumably French customs didn't register him.

On the other hand the maid of the Maxwell-Scotts, where he was last DEFINITELY seen near Uckfield on the night of the murder, is alleged in the book to have seen him there - with luggage - the night AFTER the murder. She was then allegedly sworn to secrecy. What happened to her? She was only a teenager then.

As I said, through the Graham Hill connection, I have a personal involvement. And often things come out in the wash after years when people think that there's no harm in diclosing information when the main dangers are dead.

And how many people "definitely" saw Maddie McCann, all over the world. Like I said, it's gone, you'll never know, but people will still want to make money out of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports