Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Loony labour vote to abolish private education

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I have to admit Im confused, why should prudence be punished? My mother was a teacher and my father earned a quarter of her wage, yet we went without in order for them to buy a house.

Early on in working I worked in Worthing on a site, I worked with 4 other guys who were all digging foundations, they earnt 3-4 times my wage yet all were living in social housing while I was sharing with 5 others in a house and had no chance of social housing. The 4 other guys genuinely spent their excess disposable income on drinking, cocaine and prostitutes before going back up north for the weekend. Theres privilege in many ways and not just for the rich.

As for private schools the truth is its not about where you went to school but who you know, that wouldnt end, the elitism would remain. Momentum seem quite elitist in their way ;)

P.S. I've never voted anything but labour and greatly support social housing but all systems are prone to abuse.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Prudence is great - it's how I was able to get on the ladder (more so the prudence of my wife if we're honest!). But we're talking about rewarding people for the prudence of their parents, not their own.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
That's a strange conclusion to jump to. I just have an opinion on inheritance tax and get the odd pang of jealousy when my co-workers have more money and bigger houses than me - to be honest I thought that would be applicable to most of us. I love my life. It's not like I wander around constantly thinking about property and other people's inheritance. It's just that it was being discussed so I chipped in.

Not a strange conclusion at all, especially after the way you came over in your post. Go and read it again, because it sounded like you had a real problem with others and did indeed spend some of your life thinking 'woe is me'.
Glad to hear you love your life and according to one of your earlier posts, wish to pass on your assets to your children.........after all, that is what most of us want to do.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I thought you would be knocking one out over this ....

Oh, so you saw this thread, thought of me and came on here to have a look for me and then having found me, you quoted me to tell me.

That's really sweet of you of Footy Genius, but also really pastafarianesque in terms of how sad..........

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Dont do politics much, only terrorism opinions largely, but would like to add private schools are a huge breading ground for arrogant elitist *****. Not saying all, I have friends who are lovely who were privately educated. But there is a number of these ***** that come from this system. Just saying.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Dont do politics much, only terrorism opinions largely, but would like to add private schools are a huge breading ground for arrogant elitist *****. Not saying all, I have friends who are lovely who were privately educated. But there is a number of these ***** that come from this system. Just saying.

Fair enough, but just for balance, I have friends and have worked with plenty of people who were not privately educated; they were lovely, but I have also come across plenty of state educated c...s as well.
Just saying.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Some people spunk all their money during their lifetime with some choosing to live off the state. Some pay their way by living frugally, not having vices or holidays etc, maybe pay their kids’ educations and maybe build a reserve for their kids when they have gone.
No one will convince me that what labour are planning will benefit society one iota. In fact it will probably encourage more people to be lazier and more selfish than there are already.
At least give people a choice - or is against new world principles?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fair enough, but just for balance, I have friends and have worked with plenty of people who were not privately educated; they were lovely, but I have also come across plenty of state educated c...s as well.
Just saying.

Exactly. Don’t pigeon hole people. I’ve worked with loads of people who went to independent schools. A couple of wnkrs as you’d expect within any loose ‘grouping’, but mostly really good people. Some confident, some shy, by no means all wealthy, many voted for Blair or are LibDems, usually Remainers. That’s very contrary to ill informed generalisations, based on seeing a few toffs from Eton on the box. I’ve also worked with some pretty nasty businessmen who emanated from the state comp, treating staff like crap, no pay rises, lying that their businesses are struggling to grind staff into the ground.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just saying.

Oh yeh ditto. I don’t think it’s a case of a simple pattern but I find the elitist attitude of some horrible. Just think it’s a bit of a breeding ground for it that’s all.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I suggest you do the research which shows the proprtion of privately educated people in the top reaches of society. It is eye opening. The Guardian has a good video on the subject which is easy to acces and shows the key statistics

Virtually ALL of the Guardian writers were privately educated. Not sure if this invalidates your point; it certainly doesn't stop the Guardian crusading against private schools.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Virtually ALL of the Guardian writers were privately educated. Not sure if this invalidates your point; it certainly doesn't stop the Guardian crusading against private schools.

Left wing James O’Brien of LBC, explained this morning that his (left wing) parents sent him to private schools. They sacrificed, for example, no holidays. He had no regrets over their decisions.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Hmm, ' tackling inherited wealth etc.'
Well, most people aren't out and out wealthy. There are some very rich people,and some rich people. Most people fall between being comfortably off to managing.
How would you decide where to put down the marker on judging inherited wealth? What would be fair and what would be punitive in your redressing of the balance, if you consider that inherited wealth is such a terrible problem in this country?
It is for most people, the most natural thing in the world to want to help their children in any way they can, no matter what means the parents have, whether they be well off or not. People do this in different ways, they may scrimp and scrape to send their children to private school, they may pay for them to have private tuition if they are struggling in a particular subject and at the other end of the scale, they may go without themselves to afford things for their kids that they never had And ,of course, there are plenty of other examples.......
If you clobber the general population with very heavy inheritance tax regime, you are really in danger of skewing all kinds of aspirations, freedoms and behaviour of many , many people and all for what?
Hey says comfortably off Fred, I'm 70 odd years old now, I've worked hard for my dosh but I can't leave it to my kids because the ******* Government want to take yet more dosh off me even though I have paid all my taxes during my working life. What shall I do? Well, let us go on a massive spending spree, world cruises, live like millionaires (although Fred isn't one), piss it up and generally squander it, just so the ******* Government can't get their hands on it!
Blimey, after all that high living, Fred has a serious stroke and needs care and/or a nursing home. He can't pay for it now, but, not to worry, the ******* Government can pay!
Who does that benefit?
I may be a little tongue in cheek, but the point I am making is that by removing the ability for many people, of unexceptional means, to help their children, you will be taking away the choice for them to do as they wish with the money they have honestly accumulated; and that, as a Government, you do at your peril.

I never said it would be easy or short term, I also didn't set a bar. My personal opinion is that what you are born into should not affect your opportunity be it in education, healthcare or in prospects be it early life or near end of life. I want better services for everyone. I don't think that is such a bad ambition

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
It is a Conference resolution NOT “from Corbyn”...

However, the abolition of private schools - and the wider reduction in passing of privilege down through families (e.g. 100% inheritance tax over £50,000) - WILL be a very good thing when the country comes to its senses at some point. May well not be in our lifetime but I hope it will be some time...

Utter, utter crap.

Are you a poor person that has envy over others?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Read in the voice of Alan Partridge for maximum enjoyment

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
An early example for the child that life can be hard at times and isn't always fair.

I went to a shit state school (which I now understand is actually quite good) and left with little more than a boot up the arse. I'm sure my parents would have sent me somewhere better if they had the money to. All ifs buts and maybes if I would have performed better of course but it hasn't done me any harm in the long run. My cousin on the other hand went to Lancing and has a very ordinary life. I'm sure he had a lot more doors open for him than I did simply because of the school he went to. I don't feel any bad feeling towards him because of that. You've still got to work at life once you end your school days.

Of course, but there are about 700,000 children in each school year and 7pc get a huge head start in life by an accident of birth. Over decades and generations, that can only increase the inequality in society, which brings all manner of ills along with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here