Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looking for some BBQ advice

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Apple wood chips are the way forward by all accounts. Something to do with flavour and smoking. And I also understand that the lid is an integral part. Needs to be domed.
My guv'nor is a bit of bbq chef kinda guy and is advising on me brick thingy in the garden.

Or.

Weber

Wiggy Power

Feb 25, 2009
Weber Q2200. Just got one cheap and it is the best BBQ I have ever owned, and believe me I have owned a few.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Weber every Day...

Had nothing but weber for 20+ years, both gas and charcoal.

Last week my gas burners corroded through, I sent pictures to Weber and today I received a new set of burners and flavourising Bars,
I had no receipt just the serial number was enough.
Burners alone would have cost £89..

Keep all your cheap BBQs you get what you pay for....of course you need to know how to cook properly on a BBQ to save raw chicken etc.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Not a great fan of BBQ's, I prefer to cook indoors and then eat it in the garden.
However Mrs Chopper purchased one last year and I put it together this week and its rather different.
Its by LeisureGrow, with Grillstream technology. It is a kettle BBQ with a lid and is used with charcoal. The grill top thing has 2 layers that sit at a slope so the fat runs to the outside rim and flows to the bottom and down a hole into a fat catcher thingy, like a George Foreman grill.
So I am assuming that no fat will drip onto the coals and flame up to cremate your bangers.
£39.99.

That sounds intriguing. The only thing I would say is that it is the juices from what you are cooking hitting the thing that is generating the heat - either coals or burners - that brings about the BBQ taste. Also, it is a myth that you can only get really good results with a coal burner, I have used both coal and gas for many years and prefer the convenience of gas, I also see no drop off in flavour when using gas but then I don't eat meat and mostly cook fish, vegetables and cheese.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
For heavens sake people, do it properly !

BBQ.jpg

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Well the sun is out and about and thought I'd have a barbie, anyone recommend a good bbq?
if budget allows go Weber. Yes they are a load of dosh up front but they outlast the cheaper ones 10/1 if not more. (cue all the tales of I've had my bbq for 2 gazillion years and it only cost £1)

Dec 15, 2014
Here
In actuality, I would be more inclined to use a portable Portagrillo brand bbq grill. It's much easier to take care of and you can take it anywhere. I got my first one in the States 15 years ago and I'm on my 2nd one now because I needed a larger size.

http://www.bbqguys.com/item_item_2877896.html

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
That sounds intriguing. The only thing I would say is that it is the juices from what you are cooking hitting the thing that is generating the heat - either coals or burners - that brings about the BBQ taste. Also, it is a myth that you can only get really good results with a coal burner, I have used both coal and gas for many years and prefer the convenience of gas, I also see no drop off in flavour when using gas but then I don't eat meat and mostly cook fish, vegetables and cheese.

I agree about the juices, this BBQ has 2 grill layers, the 1st sits snuggly to the inside of the kettle, at a slight slope the grill that the meat sits on are concave so the fat runs down them into a gutter and down a hole into a fat catcher. The second layer sits on top still revealing the gutter and the grill bits are also concave.
But you can still see the coals through both so I reckon it catches about 75% of the fat which still allows some to drip through and flame up.

Hopefully it wont be like a friends BBQ last summer when he had lots of people round, luzzed loads of fatty things on the BBQ and closed the lid.10 minutes later the whole thing caught fire, it was like watching that scene in the Green Mile. So not only did the food go in the bin but the BBQ followed it as well.

Agree about putting flavoured chippings on the coal.

Did anyone see John Torode in Argentina a few weeks ago with those huge slabs of steak, that programme has made me want to have a go. They used burning wood only but it looked fantastic.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
if budget allows go Weber. Yes they are a load of dosh up front but they outlast the cheaper ones 10/1 if not more. (cue all the tales of I've had my bbq for 2 gazillion years and it only cost £1)

My 900lbs Buschbeck masonry & cast iron double walled for coals and/or logs will see them all out (it only cost £600)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here