Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Long term investment in Malt Whiskey

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Had it pitched to me this week as a bit of a left field long term investment.

The ’sales executive’ says over 5 years the yield could be between 5 and 10% annually. (On the flip side he’s a good lad who’ve I known for most of his life and he’s trustworthy)

Anyone else on here been pitched similar or has anyone actually done it?

At 59 the cynic and sceptic in me has a nagging doubt that’s if it’s too good to be true it normally is?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
5-10%? not all that, can get a bank account to give the lower end.

the point of whisky (or wine) investment is a bit of fun for very wealthy individuals to indulge in. reckon there's a bit of speculation (buy something that surges in price), and a lot of conversation point down the club house.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
5-10%? not all that, can get a bank account to give the lower end.

the point of whisky (or wine) investment is a bit of fun for very wealthy individuals to indulge in. reckon there's a bit of speculation (buy something that surges in price), and a lot of conversation point down the club house.
On the plus side, if your investment goes down the pan you can just drink the whisky.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I invested £1000 in The Lakes Distillery in Cumbria as a Founders member. I receive a bottle a year, for 10 years, drawn from their first 100 barrels... all packaged nicely with two tasting miniatures.

I am just expecting Y8 edition, I haven't opened any of them.

Once all 10 are received, I may put them up for auction,.....currently, individual years are selling for circa £300 +- ..... some forecasts for the entire mint 10 bottle set are hovering around the £20k mark,... not a bad investment.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

The ’sales executive’ says over 5 years the yield could be between 5 and 10% annually. (On the flip side he’s a good lad who’ve I known for most of his life and he’s trustworthy)

At 59 the cynic and sceptic in me has a nagging doubt that’s if it’s too good to be true it normally is?
Can't you do your own research into prices and prospects, buy it direct from the distillery and cut out the 'sales executive'?

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Can't you do your own research into prices and prospects, buy it direct from the distillery and cut out the 'sales executive'?

If it's going to be particularly valuable, he can't just keep it on a rack in his kitchen.

Presumably the 'sales executive' has somewhere temperature controlled to store it for a time, and is able to prove it to prospective buyers years down the line when it is to be sold.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I bought a limited edition bottle from Blair Atholl five years ago. £60. Last valuation. £600.

I got lucky.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I bought a limited edition bottle from Blair Atholl five years ago. £60. Last valuation. £600.

I got lucky.
I did a tour of that distillery when visiting my daughter who was based in Rosyth at the time ( 2012), was treated to a limited edition £70 bottle..... I seem to have made a mistake, I bloody drank it.... if your numbers are right, I should have stashed it at the back of my whisky ( whiskey) shelf.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I did a tour of that distillery when visiting my daughter who was based in Rosyth at the time ( 2012), was treated to a limited edition £70 bottle..... I seem to have made a mistake, I bloody drank it.... if your numbers are right, I should have stashed it at the back of my whisky ( whiskey) shelf.
There were only about 500 bottles run off. I took the label up to Robertsons in Pitlochry last year because I was curious. Was stunned. I was told it was very much a right place right time purchase.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
There were only about 500 bottles run off. I took the label up to Robertsons in Pitlochry last year because I was curious. Was stunned. I was told it was very much a right place right time purchase.
Nice one,...

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Trouble is, I don’t know what to do now. I don’t want to sell it and I don’t feel I can drink it.
Like some of my 'collectable' bottles,... they gather dust, look good, but annoy the wife who complains that having whisk(e)y bottles as ornaments is not the done thing.....

For the record, my two favourite tipples are,.. an annual Midleton Rare ( blend), and a very drinkable Bushmills 16yo Malt.... north of the border, I like the mellow Auchentoshen.

Seagull99

Late to the party
Sep 14, 2020
Proceed with caution. This is a high risk and minimally regulated investment. This investment area also has a large number of scams.

Any real scheme will be able to show you WOWGR certification and will outline all the risks, costs and timeliness.

Investments that need a "sales executive" would concern me a lot.

If your objective here is to generate stable returns with some tax benefit, get an ISA and hold cash. 5-6% is achievable right now.

If you want to earn 5-10% and can hold for 5+ years then look at an ISA holding low cost stock market index funds - in recent years a US tracker would average more than 10pct annual. Venture capital trusts are another option that has gained popularity but my experience is they under perform the wider market even with generous tax breaks.

If you want a lottery ticket investment and don't mind losing all your money then Whisky, Crypto, angel investments are on the table. For most people these should be less than 10% of your savings.

Sorry to be boring!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Like some of my 'collectable' bottles,... they gather dust, look good, but annoy the wife who complains that having whisk(e)y bottles as ornaments is not the done thing.....

For the record, my two favourite tipples are,.. an annual Midleton Rare ( blend), and a very drinkable Bushmills 16yo Malt.... north of the border, I like the mellow Auchentoshen.
That almost exactly matches my tastes

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
Proceed with caution. This is a high risk and minimally regulated investment. This investment area also has a large number of scams.

Any real scheme will be able to show you WOWGR certification and will outline all the risks, costs and timeliness.

If your objective here is to generate stable returns with some tax benefit, get an ISA and hold cash. 5-6% is achievable right now.

If you want to earn 5-10% and can hold for 5+ years then look at an ISA holding low cost stock market index funds - in recent years a US tracker would average more than 10pct annual. Venture capital trusts are another option that has gained popularity but my experience is they under perform the wider market even with generous tax breaks.

If you want a lottery ticket investment and don't mind losing all your money then Whisky, Crypto, angel investments are on the table. For most people these should be less than 10% of your savings.

Sorry to be boring!
Very much this.

To add my 2penneth - about 20 years ago I was working in cases of serious fraud. At any one time we were investigating 3 different "investment" schemes like these. In all cases, the whisky either a) didn't exist, b) existed in small quantities and were there for show to attract investors to invest in their Ponzi shceme, or c) were low low grade quality whisky which never had the chance of appreciating in value.

If you are going to invest, do your research on the company, then double and triple check it (look for all co's house filings, see what their directors have been up to over their career, look at their balance sheet (should have a large balance sheet values in respect of the whisky, should also have a large sustained current assets to pay people who want to cash in their investment) . If at any stage you smell something off, then walk away.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

Sorry to be boring!
You also have to factor in the choice between selling the barrel as is after a set term, or invest further to achieve bottling, this is where the big money can be made, especially if you have picked a premium distillery much in demand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here