Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London travel zones

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
We've got tickets to the Paralympics on Friday, which we won with Sainsburys. In the pack, as well as tickets to the park and the wheelchair basketball, there are travel cards, which say London zones 1-9.
Does anyone, maybe our railway people, know where the nearest zone 9 station is to Brighton?
Can we just buy tickets to that station, and then continue our journeys using the travelcards or do we have to go out of the barriers and then back through them with the travelcards?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Zones 7-9 only really exist on the North-west bit of the Metropolitan Line. You'll need a ticket to the boundary of Zone 6, available from the ticket window.

galebs

Jan 28, 2008
Bexhill
Not sure on the zones , but if you go on national rail site . Look up olympics put in your starting point and final destination you will get discounted railway tickets and use your railcardsfor whatever way you want to get across London. Hope this helps they have not advertised this very clearly

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You'll need the equivalent ticket to Coulsdon South on the main line

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Thanks galebs,
Thanks Beach Hut. Can I buy a ticket for Coulsdon South, even if the train doesn't stop there?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Thanks galebs,
Thanks Beach Hut. Can I buy a ticket for Coulsdon South, even if the train doesn't stop there?

I live on a different line to you, but when I went to the Olympics there was a big sign up at my local station saying 'if you have an Olympic travel card you only need to buy a ticket to xxxx' so hopefully the same will happen at your station.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Can I buy a ticket for Coulsdon South, even if the train doesn't stop there?

Yes. I said to the guy at Brighton station "I've got an Olympics travel card and..." I didn't even get to finish the sentence as he interrupted and said"...so you'll only need a return to Coulsden South!" The train we got stopped at Haywards Heath, Gatwick, East Croydon, Clapham Junction and Victoria!

galebs

Jan 28, 2008
Bexhill
I live on a different line to you, but when I went to the Olympics there was a big sign up at my local station saying 'if you have an Olympic travel card you only need to buy a ticket to xxxx' so hopefully the same will happen at your station.

If you do it online you have to put your final destination to get the discount , i presume it proves its an olympic ticket . It was the cheepest way i found even by trying to use the nearest zone station etc . So my ticket was Bexhill to Stratford , instead of Bex to London Bridge.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We've got tickets to the Paralympics on Friday, which we won with Sainsburys. In the pack, as well as tickets to the park and the wheelchair basketball, there are travel cards, which say London zones 1-9.
Does anyone, maybe our railway people, know where the nearest zone 9 station is to Brighton?
Can we just buy tickets to that station, and then continue our journeys using the travelcards or do we have to go out of the barriers and then back through them with the travelcards?

Cheapest tickets I found was from national rails own 'games rail' website which takes into account you've got the travel cards. Cheapest I got was as singles to the Olympic Park leaving in peak times (from Portslade to the Olympic Park) was £33 for each single which was for 2 adults and 2 children.

I looked at buying to the outer zones the travel card covered and it worked out more expensive.

http://www.nationalrailgamestravel.co.uk/

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I drive to Sevenoaks and got tickets through the special olympic rail site for basically Sevenoaks to Orpington. On the Brighton line people were reporting East Croydon as the start of the free bit.

Oh and make sure you buy them in advance not on the day as they will be cheaper

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thanks galebs,

Yes you can, no problem just ask and show both tickets when requested

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here