London to Brighton bike ride

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Did anyone do the bike ride today?

How did you get on?

Was it harder than you thaught?

im thinking of doin it next year, any advice would be wealcomed.

thanks in advance

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i hope you rode on the road and not on the pavement
i hope you obeyed the road signs
i hope you stopped at red lights
i hope you realised that no entry signs apply to you
i hope you realised that pedestrian crossings apply to you
i hope you didnt weave in and out of cars knocking their wing mirrors off in the process

and i hope you've all got sore arses

pay insurance and road tax
then i might give a f***FUCKIN BIKE RIDERS

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I would like to do it one year.

Had to walk into Haywards Heath this morning, so saw loads of cyclists coming through Lindfield before making the assault on the relatively steep hill into town. The amount of 'bloody hell' and 'oh shit' comments you could hear from the foot of the hill was incredible!!:lolol:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
its the beacon id hate!

did anyone see the bull today?

a mate did it last year and said that there were bikes 20-30 thick against the wall

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Did it last year and the week before - and I'm 56. It is pretty straightforward and seems to be downhill most of the way, excepting Turners Hill where the reception is excellent. the main problem on the Beacon is once-a-year riders who get off and push after about 10 yards. It makes it hard to keep pedalling. However, it is easier than riding it alone, as I did two weeks ago, when the traffic (bloody 4X4 twats) come tearing up and down.
Last year, I rode along Madeira Drive, straight on to the nuddy beach and skinny dipped. The year before I nearly got hypothermia after the storms over the Downs.
Raised about £1000 over the two rides.
Recommended.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
wolfie said:
Did it last year and the week before - and I'm 56. It is pretty straightforward and seems to be downhill most of the way, excepting Turners Hill where the reception is excellent. the main problem on the Beacon is once-a-year riders who get off and push after about 10 yards. It makes it hard to keep pedalling. However, it is easier than riding it alone, as I did two weeks ago, when the traffic (bloody 4X4 twats) come tearing up and down.
Last year, I rode along Madeira Drive, straight on to the nuddy beach and skinny dipped. The year before I nearly got hypothermia after the storms over the Downs.
Raised about £1000 over the two rides.
Recommended.

defintaly want to do it next year its just finding some one to do it with of a similar fitness.

ive ridden up the downs before and i can do it without pushing but it was a bit further along the hill by plumpton.
bet the downhill after is great though

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Couldn't get over to Ovingdean to see my Dad on Father's day because of these bastards :censored:

Next year can you not do London to bloody Southend or sumfink :censored:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I did it, Ive gone it pretty much every year for the last 12 years.

The weather was superb and it was as always a great day out, though I do feel these days its far to busy. I spent far to much time waiting and pushing up hills simpley due to the shear volume of people in front.

Still raised just over £400 for the BHF !!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Uncle Spielberg said:
Couldn't get over to Ovingdean to see my Dad on Father's day because of these bastards :censored:

Next year can you not do London to bloody Southend or sumfink :censored:

Gareth, the date of the rally is announced a year in advance. It's scarcely as if thousands of cyclists suddenly advanced on a Brighton on a whim.

Besides, Southwick to Ovingdean is only about four or five miles; you should have hopped on a bike. If you can't beat 'em ....

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Did it sporting my "Wanted" t-shirt, courtesy of Roz.

Message to readers from Lewes District Council: The photo was taken at Ditchling Beacon, NOT Falmer :)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good work fella on the T-shirt.

A couple of friends did it, took them about eight hours which initially surprised me, as they are both fairly fit.

Mixture of very busy roads, too many competitors, a few hold-ups for crashes etc and of course the temperature. The Beacon nearly killed them, especially him, as he'd bowled 20 overs in a cricket match on the Saturday.

My other half went down to Brighton to meet the not-so-happy couple and it took her three hours from Pease Pottage!

It was almost a bonus being at work and missing that journey.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
seagullion said:
i hope you rode on the road and not on the pavement
i hope you obeyed the road signs
i hope you stopped at red lights
i hope you realised that no entry signs apply to you
i hope you realised that pedestrian crossings apply to you
i hope you didnt weave in and out of cars knocking their wing mirrors off in the process

and i hope you've all got sore arses

pay insurance and road tax
then i might give a f***FUCKIN BIKE RIDERS

Calm down......:lolol:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Tooting Gull said:
Good work fella on the T-shirt.

A couple of friends did it, took them about eight hours which initially surprised me, as they are both fairly fit.

Mixture of very busy roads, too many competitors, a few hold-ups for crashes etc and of course the temperature. The Beacon nearly killed them, especially him, as he'd bowled 20 overs in a cricket match on the Saturday.

My other half went down to Brighton to meet the not-so-happy couple and it took her three hours from Pease Pottage!

It was almost a bonus being at work and missing that journey.

I did it in 7 hours 25 mins, of which about 4 hours was cycling, and the remainder was waiting around at traffic junctions, and accidents. There was one where we just waited for about 45 mins. From the time I first spotted the pier to actually crossing the finishing line was 35 minutes - to do approx half a mile.

My advice would be make sure you start early (I had an official start time of 8.30, but got delayed and didn't start til 9.25). I reckon for a decent ride you need to try to start at 7am at the latest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here