Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] London Overground lines renamed

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Weaver line is the best.

Jackie deserves the honour (and after a while no-one will remember the real inspiration).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think they missed a trick. The Mildmay line I would have called the Diana Line as she did so much to change the perspective on HIV. She also helped a lot of other good causes too.

I quite like the Weaver line thing having looked at it.

The Suffragette line, I would have called the Pankhurst line

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
The good news is that the renaming of the lines seems to have appeased the unions, who have now called off the planned strike on the Overground next week.

Maybe one line should have been called the Lynch Line to memorialise the role Mick has done to bring happiness to Londoners.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Manifesto promise and makes perfect sense to most Londoners like me.
Surely it would only make sense to spaff over £6m on these changes if Khan wasn’t warning Londoners that they face rising council tax bills (or increasing TfL fares).

As for promises in manifestos, surely any significant policies not included in them must mean there isn’t a valid democratic mandate and active resistance to them is acceptable.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/sadiq-khan-insists-ulez-mandate-27175790

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
In all honesty, the only one I really like is the Windrush. I think that's a great name.

Suffragette seems okay, but the others aren't so striking for me.

The Lioness is very lame. I can see what they are trying to do, but I think a single Euro victory reminder could have been replaced with something more powerful.

Shame there isn't a cricket one in there. But I would say that, wouldn't I ?
Bodyline? 🤨

Reactions: A1X

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Missed a trick, could have made money and opened them up for sponsorship, like football stadiums are.
Coca Cola would have been good, shortened to Coke line.
Foxtons Estate Agents, shortened to the Flat line.
B.T., The Telephone Line.
Persil, The washing line.
Then sponsors for the canals too, Cadbury maybe?

Bloody pointless. Really find all of this kind of thing very cringe and shoving things down our throat. I know that makes me sound Daily Mail anti progressive brigade, but it is just how I feel. Great British achievements would have been better, those within science, sport or other. Either the persons name of the achievement itself. Windrush is cool, mind.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I remember the quite horrific Silverlink Metro which had individual line names like "North London Line" and " West London Line".
I occasionally used this when I lived in Camden. It was scary if used after dark.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bloody pointless. Really find all of this kind of thing very cringe and shoving things down our throat. I know that makes me sound Daily Mail anti progressive brigade, but it is just how I feel. Great British achievements would have been better, those within science, sport or other. Either the persons name of the achievement itself. Windrush is cool, mind.
You have postage stamps for this.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
The use of the term “Windrush” is childish at best, insulting at worst. For a start if it’s genuinely being referenced to the ship that docked at Tilbury then was the Empire Windrush. A ship originally built in Germany and used by that lot before the war, whilst during the war it was used to ship Jews from Norway to the their doom in Poland etc. A somewhat chequered and controversial history I suspect isn’t celebrated.

As for the belief in the concept of invitation and the skilled workers it brought on its fateful voyage this should be seen for what it was…………

Uninvited chancers with no skills or money landing in U.K. for a better life. No invite at all, and if it wasn’t for Attlee they would likely have been shipped back. So better the Clement Attlee line.

And Tommy Flowers line while we’re at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here