London Mayor breaks his promise already

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Travel Cards will fall under the remit of central Government due to the involvement of the rail operators. I'd imagine the Oyster card situation is fairly similar, though, it's pretty much impossible to justify if fares on Oyster Cards are going up for TFL services (as the Oyster card extends to rail services as far out as mid-Surrey I believe) . Khan's remit on transport is ultimately limited to TFL, so I think it'd be a little unfair to berate him over rises outside of his remit- the Oyster part is where I'd potentially slate him because parts of that would fall directly under his control.

Don't let the truth get in the way of an Nsc, finger pointing political accusation.

synavm

May 2, 2013
Looked into it a bit more, so Travelcards are certainly beyond his remit, so I'll take that out of the argument (he's the Mayor Of London not the Mayor Of London and other commutable areas). Single fares on TFL services are frozen. Presumably the Oyster Card is essentially used as tender to pay those single fares (though I'm not completely certain on this so I'm open to being corrected), so the rises are coming from rail services that fall under the remit of the Department Of Transport.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Much to the annoyance of Drivers as I listen to LBC on a regular basis, he did do loads and I mean loads for promoting cycling in London, that should be music to the ears of the environmentalists.

Apart from using a bicycle himself, what else did he do?

The bikes were coming in anyway (Ken started it but I do think it w as a Tory proposal in the first place), no matter who was mayor.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Looked into it a bit more, so Travelcards are certainly beyond his remit, so I'll take that out of the argument (he's the Mayor Of London not the Mayor Of London and other commutable areas). Single fares on TFL services are frozen. Presumably the Oyster Card is essentially used as tender to pay those single fares (though I'm not completely certain on this so I'm open to being corrected), so the rises are coming from rail services that fall under the remit of the Department Of Transport.

I agree but should he not have clarified this during his campaign? Seems a bit off to qualify his headline now, no?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Yep that is pretty much it. If you are paying a single TfL fare on oyster then the fare will not rise. If you have a travelcard loaded on to your oyster you will pay what ever increase the government has put there. Techincally not a broken promise, however when Khan made the promise I do not think voters would have been unreasonable in believing it to mean that all fares would be frozen.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Oyster is essentially daily travel card for Londoners. they have pushed it for years with a key component being the cap - you only pay as much as buying a daily zone x travel card. Travel cards are under the Mayors remit for price setting, with negotiation with DfT over who picks up the bills. so he is either going back on a major election pledge or made a pledge he could not honor. i thought the headline wasnt, couldnt be true as its too brazen a issue to go back on, emerging its true and a pretty shabby way to start a Mayoral term, and indefensible given how much of a major issue transport is in London.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I am always amazed that anyone can find this funny. It just strikes me as the act of a boorish, public school boy dildo who thinks he's a "character". Basically a posh floppy haired "Colin Hunt, Office Joker" with no sporting ability. I cringed at the time it happened and it's even less funny now.

Plenty of kudos from me for that tackle.

Lighten up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

synavm

May 2, 2013
I agree but should he not have clarified this during his campaign? Seems a bit off to qualify his headline now, no?

Honestly, I don't think it is. 96% of his electorate will benefit from the freezes according to their press release. Realistically, the vast majority of Londonders are only going to regularly use TFL services, which fall under Khan's remit and are being frozen. For those commuting out of London using rail services, I think it's reasonably clear that the Mayor Of London won't have control over services operating outside of London, therefore the prices might rise. Likewise, us commuters who didn't vote for him shouldn't expect to benefit from anything the new Mayor is promising until we're actually in London.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Plenty of kudos from me for that tackle.

Lighten up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lighten up? I'm perfectly light thanks. There's just nothing funny about what he's done there, unless of course you find lowest common denominator "comedy" remotely funny.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Honestly, I don't think it is. 96% of his electorate will benefit from the freezes according to their press release. Realistically, the vast majority of Londonders are only going to regularly use TFL services, which fall under Khan's remit and are being frozen. For those commuting out of London using rail services, I think it's reasonably clear that the Mayor Of London won't have control over services operating outside of London, therefore the prices might rise. Likewise, us commuters who didn't vote for him shouldn't expect to benefit from anything the new Mayor is promising until we're actually in London.

So Londoners within the travelzone who have travelcards loaded onto their oyster will see no price increase will they?
What do you think Londoners who travel regularly on London Transport do, pay for a single each time they use a service or have a travelcard loaded or rely on the daily cap both of which are increasing.
The ability to not read the detail is astounding but of course in your world Labour can do no wrong

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Spectacular lack of coordination. Thought it was a rugby clip at first.

A unique playing style developed on the playing fields of Eton no doubt. Needs to work on the body swerve ...

I am always amazed that anyone can find this funny. It just strikes me as the act of a boorish, public school boy dildo who thinks he's a "character". Basically a posh floppy haired "Colin Hunt, Office Joker" with no sporting ability. I cringed at the time it happened and it's even less funny now.

Amazed? I thought it was well known that people don't all share the same sense of humour.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Agree with you.

Best guess, Theresa May will be the next leader.

I agree with that. If I ever held any respect for Boris - and I have no idea how he performed as London Mayor - he has lost it completely. Joining the leave campaign was a purely political decision, to further his career rather than his beliefs. He chose the wrong side.

Osbourne, I suspect, is hated by too many in the country to become leader. I think May has done a reasonable effort in what is probably the hardest job in the country.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I agree with that. If I ever held any respect for Boris - and I have no idea how he performed as London Mayor - he has lost it completely. Joining the leave campaign was a purely political decision, to further his career rather than his beliefs. He chose the wrong side.

Osbourne, I suspect, is hated by too many in the country to become leader. I think May has done a reasonable effort in what is probably the hardest job in the country.

And Osborne is now hated by many in his own party after the way he has acted in this referendum campaign. Whereas May has kept a low profile and even made a vaguely eurosceptic speech despite being on the Government side.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

This. All day. Every day.

synavm

May 2, 2013
So Londoners within the travelzone who have travelcards loaded onto their oyster will see no price increase will they?
What do you think Londoners who travel regularly on London Transport do, pay for a single each time they use a service or have a travelcard loaded or rely on the daily cap both of which are increasing.
The ability to not read the detail is astounding but of course in your world Labour can do no wrong

No, I'm trying to be pragmatic and look into the detail as it appears rather than just spewing outrage. If charges are rising for TFL services in any way, there's clearly a problem. The cap increases in particular are a concern, there's no two ways about it. It'd be useful to see a break down for where caps are increasing- is it for rail fares, is it for TFL- one thing you can judge a Mayor of London (regardless of his or her rosette) for, the other you can't.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports