London Cabbie Protest

Whose side are you on?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
why are black cabs a rip off? they are a fair price to enable them to make a decent living. its only a quid or so on the bus though.

They clear quite a lot for what amounts to semi-skilled work at most, and about twice as much what their NY Cab equivalents make. I'd probably have more sympathy for them if they adhered to the rules they are supposed to have, but I lived in Wimbledon for a decade and enough black cab drivers "illegally" refused to go south of the river after 2 am for my sympathy towards them to be somewhat limited.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
They clear quite a lot for what amounts to semi-skilled work at most, and about twice as much what their NY Cab equivalents make. I'd probably have more sympathy for them if they adhered to the rules they are supposed to have, but I lived in Wimbledon for a decade and enough black cab drivers "illegally" refused to go south of the river after 2 am for my sympathy towards them to be somewhat limited.

some clear loads, some clear bugger all.

i wouldnt want to see something that London currently does very well, go down the shitter, but people are hell bent on dismantling it.

smashing monopolies and 'outdated' practices is not always the best way forward. what will replace the demise of the current set up will be drearier, more depressing, less human, and we will lose something that we should be fighting tooth and nail to keep.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I see your point, and agree that London cabbies do contribute massively to the city.

But I have to say that I can't think of a situation where smashing a monopoly is deemed a bad thing, and I'm not convinced a small phone app is going to make much of a dent to the cabbies income. But it might keep them on their toes, which doesn't seem such a bad thing for the rest of us.

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes, my only real problem with Uber is they wriggle out of paying any tax in the UK. They were on the radio this morning and the spokeswoman refused to answer whether they pay taxes here she just kept repeating "We pay all that is required of us". Sod all then?

They are all the fing same. The only winners here are Uber. I'm with the cabbies. When you get in a black cab you know the people driving that cab can be trusted. You don't get the same insurance with private hire.

This is the problem with these sorts of things, it can be looked upon as progress, but people could eventually lose their jobs.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I see your point, and agree that London cabbies do contribute massively to the city.

But I have to say that I can't think of a situation where smashing a monopoly is deemed a bad thing, and I'm not convinced a small phone app is going to make much of a dent to the cabbies income. But it might keep them on their toes, which doesn't seem such a bad thing for the rest of us.

Do you think that breaking up British Rail, British Gas, the Electricity Board, some aspects of the GPO and creeping privatisation of the NHS have all been net positive developments? I see good and bad points with all of them.

I wasn't aware of Uber before the cabbies' action today, but I am now!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Surely learning the knowledge is worth something? It's not like they just woke up one morning and became a cab driver.

Means nowt if the skill is now obsolete. It's a shame to see traditions go but go they will eventually. They will become a niche and nostalgic way to travel in the next decade. Like horse and trap rides round Hyde Park. But black cabs are a nice thing they just cannot keep up with competition for much longer. Progress.

If you're talking crap taxi firms Brighton & Hove have absolutely gone to the dogs. They charge through the roof and they have been overrun by Iranian drivers and their 6 cousins all using the same license, all absolutely clueless as to how to get around Brighton. One didn't even know where The King & Queen was??!! Effing useless.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Do you think that breaking up British Rail, British Gas, the Electricity Board, some aspects of the GPO and creeping privatisation of the NHS have all been net positive developments?
No in most of those cases, but then in none of those examples was a monopoly properly broken up. Especially British Rail - I don't have a choice of rail companies to take me home.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
i fail to understand the venom towards them and lack of support. people are mad. they are brilliant.

people will do anything to save a quid, even see the best taxi service of any major capital city (no debate, dont even bother anyone, thats a FACT), be eroded. and be annoyed that someone might earn a healthy living!

People do realise also that we will do away with self employed, highly motivated drivers and replace them by minimum wage drivers and all the money goes into the pockets of large corporations? Still, as long as the meanies get to save a few pence, **** everyone else.

This.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
No in most of those cases, but then in none of those examples was a monopoly properly broken up. Especially British Rail - I don't have a choice of rail companies to take me home.

True - but you do have a choice of energy company and telecoms supplier (notwithstanding the fact that BT owns the last mile of twisted pair).

Anyway, I digress. Re the cabbies: I think that competition is good, but the playing field has to be level...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Black cabs for tourists.

Apps for the rest of us.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Means nowt if the skill is now obsolete. It's a shame to see traditions go but go they will eventually. They will become a niche and nostalgic way to travel in the next decade. Like horse and trap rides round Hyde Park. But black cabs are a nice thing they just cannot keep up with competition for much longer. Progress.

If you're talking crap taxi firms Brighton & Hove have absolutely gone to the dogs. They charge through the roof and they have been overrun by Iranian drivers and their 6 cousins all using the same license, all absolutely clueless as to how to get around Brighton. One didn't even know where The King & Queen was??!! Effing useless.

You should have asked to be taken to the "Shah & Shahzadi" :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Earlier this week we had a meeting in our Royal Mail delivery office.

There's some massive DPD warehouse opening up to service the south east coast with Amazon.
(It'll be hard to explain how much work that is, as 'massive' doesn't even come close).

Anyhoo Manager and Union rep were explaining how we needed to work together, work smart blah blah blah.

Losing my last remaining popularity points I couldn't help pointing out when this conversation was first had 5 years ago, everyone did nothing, less than nothing in many cases.
Then fought tooth and nail for the right to do nothing, 'just like the good old days'.
If we had been managed properly way back then, we would be panicking now.

In exactly the same vein, surely this is all to little to late from the cabs.
All that's left to do is shut the stable door.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
i fail to understand the venom towards them and lack of support. people are mad. they are brilliant.

people will do anything to save a quid, even see the best taxi service of any major capital city (no debate, dont even bother anyone, thats a FACT), be eroded. and be annoyed that someone might earn a healthy living!

People do realise also that we will do away with self employed, highly motivated drivers and replace them by minimum wage drivers and all the money goes into the pockets of large corporations? Still, as long as the meanies get to save a few pence, **** everyone else.

The price of everything, the value of nothing strikes again.

I had no idea about this app until the Black Cabs gave them so much publicity.

I will be using it in future.

Own Goal by the cabbies.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Having looked up what Uber is, i dont see a problem with it: its basically a private hire firm with a virtual, online booking office. for all intents and purposes its the same as Addison Lee or any other large private hire fleet.

However i do have reservations about "app taxies" in general. while Uber might be an organised well backed company, i can see others being setup which are just bloke with a Datsun. Still think thats all just good competition for black cabs?

Also i find the debate odd and rather amusing. to say its competition and progress is fair enough, but i see a few people who would be appaled and outraged if we deregulated other industries due to technology. because regulation is really all this is about, the black cabs have been regulated with fixed prices as quid pro quo for providing a certain standard (cars, knowledge etc). it would be interesting what would happen if we deregulated taxis as a result of this: many black cabs (and other hackney carriages) would increase their fares, many would decrease thier fares. fancy waiting for a cab on a rainy night to find the price is twice the previous, dry evening? because this is the path we are on now, that is what Uber offers, variable pricing that may not always be to the punters advantage.

thats progress, market driven progress...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here