Loftus-Cheek

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The Evening Standard is covering that Loftus-Cheek wants to leave Chelsea on loan to get first team football. Says that we tried to get him in Jan, and are still interested along with a couple of other clubs.

He's a real talent and would seem like an excellent loan. With our training facilities and staffing infrastructure being some way ahead of some of our Prem competitors (thinking Burnley, Watford, Palace, Bournemouth) along with our proximity to Cobham, you would think we're well placed to attract Chelsea loanees.

Out of interest, what exactly has proximity to Cobham got to do with signing him. Does he live there? Chelsea have their training ground there but that doesn't mean all the players live there.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
According to the Standard report he's on £60k a week and not made a start this season - madness.

SAC

May 21, 2014
According to the Standard report he's on £60k a week and not made a start this season - madness.

Madness indeed. Amazingly Chelsea make a profit on the players they loan out so presumably whoever he goes to will be paying his wages and a loan fee. A hell of a lot of money for a player that I have never heard of!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Madness indeed. Amazingly Chelsea make a profit on the players they loan out so presumably whoever he goes to will be paying his wages and a loan fee. A hell of a lot of money for a player that I have never heard of!

I honestly don't think we'd be in the running in that case - I just can't see the club paying £60k a week to any player - it's not our DNA.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Our DNA will change. I'm sure Southampton, Palace, West Brom etc all said the same when they were promoted.

That is a fair point.

I guess over time we'll slip towards these standards but I sincerely hope that for as long as is possible that we sign value-for-money players on 'sensible' wages.

SAC

May 21, 2014
That is a fair point.

I guess over time we'll slip towards these standards but I sincerely hope that for as long as is possible that we sign value-for-money players on 'sensible' wages.

I can imagine some £60k a week wages but not for an unproven player.

Don't get me wrong, he could be a fantastic player who will shine away from Chelsea and playing first team football every week. Quite a gamble to take though.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Akpom didn't have enough time, but was judged (and sentenced to a lifetime of underachievement on here anyway) on a few minutes play and an apparently poor warmup.

A few minutes? Do me a favour.

Re. RLC - Unproven, overhyped, on massive wages, has not even had a successful loan spell to gauge ability/attitude, has not impressed the few times i've watched him. No thanks.

Instead, I would happily take Tomori who showed both ability and a fantastic attitude while he was with us, and potentially Abraham.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A few minutes? Do me a favour.

Re. RLC - Unproven, overhyped, on massive wages, has not even had a successful loan spell to gauge ability/attitude, has not impressed the few times i've watched him. No thanks.
I didn't check....how many was it?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From memory and aside from a couple of <10min sub appearences, he had between 15-30mins vs Brentford, Burton, Ipswich, Leeds and a full start + 60mins at home to Blackburn.
Less than 2 full games worth in total, spread over 10 games, 5 of which were less than 10 mins, 4 less than 30 and one of 58.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Less than 2 full games worth in total, spread over 10 games, 5 of which were less than 10 mins, 4 less than 30 and one of 58.

That's a different way of quoting what I just said?

You originally stated that he had 'just a few minutes' and implying that our fans were quick to judge. Truth is he had plenty of opportunites to showcase what he's all about and every single time had the body language of someone who couldn't be bothered. Lest we not forget our players had to haul him up off the ground once as we desperatey searched for a winner at home to Ipswich. None of this justifies the boo boys mind, but he WAS given a chance.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Very short time in which to be certain. Ask yourself this question though, both players are available for £2m would you sign either? I'd take Tomori in a heartbeat. Akpom I wouldn't..

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I imagine that if Cheek is on £60K per week then he'd immediately become our highest paid player which, for an unused sub (albeit a good one) is bound to rub the likes of Stephens and Dunk up the wrong way.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's a different way of quoting what I just said?

You originally stated that he had 'just a few minutes' and implying that our fans were quick to judge. Truth is he had plenty of opportunites to showcase what he's all about and every single time had the body language of someone who couldn't be bothered. Lest we not forget our players had to haul him up off the ground once as we desperatey searched for a winner at home to Ipswich. None of this justifies the boo boys mind, but he WAS given a chance.
Not different, just checked the actual stats out of interest.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
're. Prem League finances....as Madjeski said on the BBC about Reading:

"Football is not for the faint hearted as I've been saying for many, many years - millionaires need not apply, only billionaires, "

So I guess we have to think big.....

As to loans, will we get them so easily now? Personally I have never understood loaning players to clubs in the same division. Although they cannot play against you they will play in games that will affect the parent club . Is that good? To whom are they committed?

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I'd like him in the no.10 role. He has all the qualities needed to be a top player. The only question I have with him is will he work hard enough? If he is going to compete with Baldock then he will need to put in the hard graft.

You could argue, though, that Antonio Conte (and every Italian coach for that matter) demands high intensity and work rate from their players as we do. Therefore could be a very natural transition into our training methods / match tactics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports