Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Loft conversion advice

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A relative of ours had a quotation for their loft conversion a couple of years ago but due to Covid19 it was not taken up until very recently the cost in the mean time has gone from £50,000 to 70,000 with the blame going on Brexit and more recently energy, I was looking at our 9% inflation the highest in Europe and wondered how that figure was reached and an article in the independent put Brexit at 6% and Energy at 3%

Adam Posen, a former Bank of England policy maker, said on the 27th April 2022 most of Britain’s inflation problem stems from Brexit and that he’d vote for a half-point interest rate increase to curb an upward surge in prices.

The economist who heads the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington, a prominent research group, said that 80% of the reason why the International Monetary Fund expects Britain’s inflation to remain elevated for longer than its Group of Seven peers is the impact of its departure from the European Union

read articles on Posens comments and they mean the difference in forecast inflation. current inflation is down to massive energy price increases and supply chain contraction which same everywhere, brexit is a small impact right now, mostly the higher cost of labour. shown by the example of 50k to 70k (40% increase) they are rising prices and getting the work, indicating money around and not enough labour which is largest cost in building.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Hip to gable and a full width dormer came in at around £40k for us. That was for 2 rooms, one with en-suite and a utility room, bathroom fitted and tiled but we did the rest of the decorating ourselves. It was all done and dusted in December 2019. I'd only do it again if the sums added up in terms of added value but the quality of life in having that extra space is amazing.

Agree with this, We were lucky in buying one of the worst houses on just about the nicest street in town, at least it suits us perfectly so the investment is safe, although largely irrelevant as we have no intention of ever moving. If I won the lottery I may buy a second home in France/Italy but I'd never sell where we are, we love it. . .the extra space is lovely . . .no ones on top of anyone,

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
UK inflation is not the highest in Europe. Here in Spain it is currently running at 9.8% but feels higher.......https://www.aa.com.tr/en/economy/in...-rate-in-nearly-40-years/2550122........can't blame this on Brexit!

These figures seem to suggest that Spain is currently 8.3% and going down, while the UK is 9% and heading in the opposite direction

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/inflation-rate?continent=europe

And although there are various reasons for inflation and the associated increasing costs of construction, the well documented shortage of workers and supply chain issues following Brexit are certainly significant factors in the increases in prices over here in the UK :shrug:

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Morning, we are in the process of tendering for a loft conversion in Eastbourne and prices are far higher than we were initially given ballparks for and more than our additional mortgage amount.
It is a full width dormer conversion (house is not gable ends) with 1 bed and ensuite.
Wall in small dowsnstairs bedroom needs moving a few inches. Steels across remaining chimney i support with the top section being removed. Standard 3 bed semi.
Fingers crossed for 3 points today. Been nice not having to worry about the drop this season!
Cheers

If you're in the eastbourne area may I strongly suggest swerving French & Thorley. Now to be fair it was a few years back but they did a bathroom for me and it was a painful process. Lots of communication issues.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If you're in the eastbourne area may I strongly suggest swerving French & Thorley. Now to be fair it was a few years back but they did a bathroom for me and it was a painful process. Lots of communication issues.

Maybe they're drummers as well

Often have to punch the information in quite a few times.

In my experience, most builder have a quick look at the drawings, don't generally understand the detail and build what they want/are comfortable doing.

I had ongoing battles with ours regarding detail. . .he just didn't get it. I can see why people employ project managers.

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016

Interesting as I've seen loads of good feedback and recommendations. I'm actually waiting for them to quote along with a few others. I will probably end up getting a shell conversion and using independents to do the rest...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Maybe they're drummers as well

Often have to punch the information in quite a few times.

In my experience, most builder have a quick look at the drawings, don't generally understand the detail and build what they want/are comfortable doing.

I had ongoing battles with ours regarding detail. . .he just didn't get it. I can see why people employ project managers.

Difference between a bass player and a 12" pizza ?

a 12" pizza can feed a family of four :wink:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Interesting as I've seen loads of good feedback and recommendations. I'm actually waiting for them to quote along with a few others. I will probably end up getting a shell conversion and using independents to do the rest...

That's fair enough. It was about 8 years ago and bathroom is very different to loft conversion. What happened was that main man seemed to contract out the different aspects of the job such as plumbing, tiling and electrics. He then failed to coordinate who was doing what and when to the extent that plumber had full blown bust up with the tiler. The shower was upgraded in wattage but only at the last minute did they then realise that the cabling and mcb would need upgrading.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Difference between a bass player and a 12" pizza ?

a 12" pizza can feed a family of four :wink:

That explains why my son is so skinny and I married a lady with a proper job!

BoT, getting the loft converted as a shell is no bad idea, I did consider it . . . . it will take a little longer and you still need to co-ordinate things but may well save money and aid budget control, as well as lessen the possibility of subbie feuds!

scooter1

How soon is now?
We considered this, but in the end all the individual tradesmen we spoke to quoted wildly different lead-times and there was no way to properly coordinate the job. In the end we used a single contractor who had all the trades in place and it was a very smooth process with one point of contact

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
We considered this, but in the end all the individual tradesmen we spoke to quoted wildly different lead-times and there was no way to properly coordinate the job. In the end we used a single contractor who had all the trades in place and it was a very smooth process with one point of contact
I'm quite lucky as my son is an electrician, his best mate a carpenter and brother in law is a plumber. They haven't done any loft constructions so I wouldn't let them loose on that but they would be fine to take if from shell to completion. I was hoping to get it all done within budget with a single contractor but the shell is now looking to be my best option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here