Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Lockdown lifting - when?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Given they come along on average once a century I don't think I'll be too concerned about the next one once this one has been put away.

They come along along about once every 5 years and are happening more frequently

Dr. No

Nov 28, 2016
Never. People need to accept this is the new way of life from now on. There will be partial lifting of some things and then locking down again for years. Even after if or when they find a vaccine for this one the next virus will now be met with a lockdown now a precident has been set. Even with a release this social distancing is so ingrained in people now, interactions will never be the same again and many people will just go out for essentials. I cannot image gatherings of people again, so doubt cinema's pubs concert halls stadium events will ever happen again and as such are now finished

No.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Never. People need to accept this is the new way of life from now on. There will be partial lifting of some things and then locking down again for years. Even after if or when they find a vaccine for this one the next virus will now be met with a lockdown now a precident has been set. Even with a release this social distancing is so ingrained in people now, interactions will never be the same again and many people will just go out for essentials. I cannot image gatherings of people again, so doubt cinema's pubs concert halls stadium events will ever happen again and as such are now finished

:wozza:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Oh dear god!

Bozza has lifted the 'Be Kind' reminder sticky from the top of the page, which has been there since Cornavirus got real and the lockdown.

Therefore we no longer have to be kind (despite the fact 99% of the time we all are anyway)
So the JOKE being now we are no longer being told to 'be kind' we can liberally be not kind.

!

Never explain a joke

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I am curious as to how many on here, as a cross section of southern England, have had WFH either forced upon them, or forced upon their previously reluctant employers are now thinking - 'this is the way forward'.

I wonder if there's been enough time for people to think about the hours away from home sat in traffic jams, on crowded over priced (late) trains etc, wondering if it was worth it.

Naturally my twitter feed is full of government/councils/communities 'reclaiming' roads for all.

If there is even a window to effect change it's going to be a really really small one.

Opposite for me, although admittedly I work a 30 min walk from my house so travel is minimal.

Working from home has been a disaster. Quality of work achieved in these surroundings is poor, relationship with wife and kids under strain at times, no space for us as individuals (which would be fine if we were on holiday, but when we all (well, not so much the kids) have our own stresses etc it's tricky. And whilst I've always had to bring work home for a few hours a night, I am really struggling with the lack of separation between my personal space and my workplace.

Cannot WAIT to get back in the office.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Assuming you are serious then that's barking mad. We live with risk every day, we just need to get to the point where the risk is manageable. In reality we should never leave our homes again or drive at 70mph or cross the road or touch an atm if we follow your logic. And of course smoking and drinking alcohol should be banned or are deaths from those allowed? I'll be going back to living exactly as we were as soon as we are allowed. I have to say people have become slightly hysterical over this - awful though it is.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Just my opinion my friend. There will be an easing to keep the economy afloat but as for social events and gatherings, cannot see that anytime soon. Even if it is relaxed the human psyche with social distancing and basically being terrified of other humans is ingrained in some and therefore a new normal has been set. I hope social events happen again but not likely this year. Maybe they can with continued social distancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Assuming you are serious then that's barking mad. We live with risk every day, we just need to get to the point where the risk is manageable. In reality we should never leave our homes again or drive at 70mph or cross the road or touch an atm if we follow your logic. And of course smoking and drinking alcohol should be banned or are deaths from those allowed? I'll be going back to living exactly as we were as soon as we are allowed. I have to say people have become slightly hysterical over this - awful though it is.

Let's see how events unfold. I hope I am wrong

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I was a bit alarmist, apologies I think I am getting cabin fever being holed up here for 6 weeks without seeing anyone. What I think will happen is businesses will open to keep the economy ticking over, albeit with a huge recession but leisure activities I cannot see ever happening again until a vaccine has been found and people can prove they are immune before attending anything. How long that will be is anyone's guess

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Opposite for me, although admittedly I work a 30 min walk from my house so travel is minimal.

Working from home has been a disaster. Quality of work achieved in these surroundings is poor, relationship with wife and kids under strain at times, no space for us as individuals (which would be fine if we were on holiday, but when we all (well, not so much the kids) have our own stresses etc it's tricky. And whilst I've always had to bring work home for a few hours a night, I am really struggling with the lack of separation between my personal space and my workplace.

Cannot WAIT to get back in the office.

It would seem, for you, your employer, and the government a working space 30 minutes walk from home would be ideal!!!

I wonder how many employers have gone from thinking 'im not letting you lot mooch around at home all day, eating toast and watching Lorraine', to seeing some real time/cost benefits to not imposing excessive travel on their employees.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Population of New Zealand 4.8 million

Population of United Kingdom 66.7 million

Probably easier to ‘jump on it’ when your population is less than half that of London

I'm not sure I see the relevance of population size. As far as I can see their measures were no different to ours (except the quarantine of int'l arrivals maybe) just that they responded quicker.

I was sat in Spain when they locked down (too late too) and couldn't for the life of me understand why we hadn't done so in some fashion weeks before

Having no more expertise than the next fella I'm happy to be corrected, but struggle with that numbers argument

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just my opinion my friend. There will be an easing to keep the economy afloat but as for social events and gatherings, cannot see that anytime soon. Even if it is relaxed the human psyche with social distancing and basically being terrified of other humans is ingrained in some and therefore a new normal has been set. Can you see something like Glastonbury going ahead in 2021 with 150 000 people together ?

Things seem pretty miserable at the moment Uncle, but then again we're being bombarded with this shit 24/7 in all available media, out of all proportion to the numbers involved or the effects on the global economy or, closer to home maybe, people's mental health. Not always easy to envisage how things can return to normal, but then again it wasn't easy to envisage how abnormal things could turn in a matter of weeks. All things must pass tho eh?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
lockdown is already relaxing and lifting in many many areas.

So not sure what the question is

It was never a proper lockdown in this Country compared to other countries anyway. I see that the Spanish will be allowed to take one exercise per day soon, we’re already looking at their death rate in envy.

Libertarian-Lockdown-Lite = 2nd highest death rate in the World.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

What a load of crap.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Things seem pretty miserable at the moment Uncle, but then again we're being bombarded with this shit 24/7 in all available media, out of all proportion to the numbers involved or the effects on the global economy or, closer to home maybe, people's mental health. Not always easy to envisage how things can return to normal, but then again it wasn't easy to envisage how abnormal things could turn in a matter of weeks. All things must pass tho eh?

I am starting to struggle badly mate here on my own. It is tough for everyone I know

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hmm...which guess should i make......umm ok ..at some time over lets say the next month a little loosening (has too happen sometime)...one step at a time (but lets not forget the vulnerable) thats a positive beyond that what’s the point in second guessing....progress has been made!

I’d like to see dentists opening (never thought I’d say that) and for some people i know hairdressers, maybe equipped with garden shears allowing them to stay well away from the customer and deal with the amount of growth...oh and the NHS to be repositioned a little to deal with all those other treatments that have been pushed aside

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

We’re heading for the second worse death rate on the planet. Our advantages of being an Island nation and then watching China, Italy then Spain succumb to huge transmissions rates has counted for nothing. If we’d taken the same measure as Ireland, we’d have around 10k dead instead of 26k in my opinion, that blood is solely on Mr Johnson’s hands.

You’re right, with Cummings ’moulding’ the SAGE advice, we’re looking at a populist return from lockdown ASAP. Once the Government are happy that carehomes & the NHS can cope (for 18 months+) it’ll be every man for themselves with a quick return to normality.
Herd immunity will be revisited.

Typical of the witch hunters, lack Imagination and positivity.

Comeback in 2 years then judge the whole picture as this thing has only just started.

This was never a short fix, support the science and government, stay indoors and shut the feck up, you're just causing more anxiety and panic, just to support your political agenda.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What a load of crap.

Maybe, don't think any social events or gatherings can happen until a vaccine is found and people can prove they are immune and no one knows when that might be. Anyway the 24/7 worst case scenario on the bbc and newspapers has probably got to me now

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Hmm...which guess should i make......umm ok ..at some time over lets say the next month a little loosening (has too happen sometime)...one step at a time (but lets not forget the vulnerable) thats a positive beyond that what’s the point in second guessing....progress has been made!

I’d like to see dentists opening (never thought I’d say that) and for some people i know hairdressers maybe equipped with garden shears allowing them to stay well away from the customer and deal with the amount of growth...oh and the NHS to be repositioned a little to deal with all those other treatments that have been pushed aside

Think I will get Edward Scissorhands to do mine! He should be able to keep an appropriate distance away!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here