Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Lock ins

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Anyone offering, or attending, such a thing now is a complete tool, and hope they get called out instantly. Either that, or they can stay ‘locked in’ until it’s all over.

Thanks for saving me the bother of posting something similar

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
My father is 76, he goes to the pub every dat for a couple of pints and to meet his cronies. It is the focus of his life. He is relatively fit and healthy and so would prefer to take his chance with the Corvids than give this up. He would genuinely prefer to die than to spend three to six months locked up in his house.

Does he also enjoy a night in a club raven'?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I think there's been some pretty unfair responses to this - IMO It's not really about the rights and wrongs of what he may do, it's a reflection of the social lives that some elderly people rely on. There are many people (not all elderly as it happens) who rely on our local, it's their lives, it's what they do. I'm happy for the landlord that this announcement has been made, he was waiting for it but for those who use the pub to connect with people, I really feel for them, it's heartbreaking.

I'm with this. For many the pub is somewhere to get to meet your mates and have a good time. For some it's the only place where they get to see anybody. There were two gents in the Alma Arms, Uckfield, who would be there every day. It was their life. Sadly neither with us any more. They're not alcoholics, just need to 'be' somewhere other than alone at home.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
My local has made it clear to its hardcore regulars(mates of the landlord) that they will have parties at certain times for them to attend

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Back in my late teens I used to have lock-ins in pubs in Knutsford. Always used to end up with thick curtains firmly closed, and general rowdiness.

One of the landlords used to issue free drinks to anyone who rested their tits on the bar and placed an order. Sadly I was quite slim then, so couldn't go out in drag and score some freebies, so the ladies always won that game.... :annoyed:

That's the old traditional lock in, boobs and moobs game :D

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Ah yes ' The Fxxkwit Arms ' I know it well.��

A wee bit cruel I believe the landlord is talking about half a dozen friends sharing a beer not some free for all open house.In Italy there are reports of small groups in apartment blocks meeting to share a meal and a wine.Rightly or wrongly humans are often social animals.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I used to love it when I got a lockin and sort of bragged about it thinking I was part of the in crowd or the chosen few.

Looking back now. I was really just being used to bolster the Landlord's income.

However I had a good time as well so can't complain

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
A wee bit cruel I believe the landlord is talking about half a dozen friends sharing a beer not some free for all open house.In Italy there are reports of small groups in apartment blocks meeting to share a meal and a wine.Rightly or wrongly humans are often social animals.

I must have missed the bit where the Chief Medical adviser observed that you can't catch the virus from a friend. Which bit of the social distancing are you struggling with?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
My father is 76, he goes to the pub every dat for a couple of pints and to meet his cronies. It is the focus of his life. He is relatively fit and healthy and so would prefer to take his chance with the Corvids than give this up. He would genuinely prefer to die than to spend three to six months locked up in his house.

He won’t like ARDS. Believe me.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I must have missed the bit where the Chief Medical adviser observed that you can't catch the virus from a friend. Which bit of the social distancing are you struggling with?

So many morons with this attitude. They should go over to the NHS thread and read some of the nurses stories.
I am a key worker in social care and will be going in on the bus for my extended shifts. Which is tough but almost nothing compared to what NHS frontline will be doing, bless their souls. The less vulnerable people out and about, the better.

We have to risk becoming ill, they don’t.

Sadly, I don’t think these people will ever understand until they end up in an ICU with doctors deciding whether they are to be treated or not.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Only ever been to one lock in, I dont remember it though

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Boston28

Feb 7, 2014
The vic on boundary road looked like they started them early. Walked past yesterday about 8pm doors all locked curtains drawn but lights on windows all steamy and clearly could here punters inside. Made little sense to me when they were still allowed to be open.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Not struggling but people isolating is not as easy as some on here suggest.As I pointed out Italians within apartment blocks are still socializing in small groups.People far more qualified than myself are suggesting that isolation will cause mental issues if its long term.Here in Oz(live here 9 months of the year) we have not started any real isolation,only arrivals from overseas,yet we may have had our first suicide.An old man may have taken his own life because of a dread of being isolated,neighbours say he was terrified of the prospect.
Just think some on here should be a little less quick to set themselves up as judge and jury.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I do get your point, but please leave the buxxshit virtue signalling out.

Worrying where we’ve got to a point where “not wanting to add to a death toll” is considered ****ing virtue signalling. Wow.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Why not get some tins or small bottles from the supermarket and meet his cronies in the local park? That way, they can still have drink and a chinwag but out in the fresh air which will be a bit safer?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not struggling but people isolating is not as easy as some on here suggest.As I pointed out Italians within apartment blocks are still socializing in small groups.People far more qualified than myself are suggesting that isolation will cause mental issues if its long term.Here in Oz(live here 9 months of the year) we have not started any real isolation,only arrivals from overseas,yet we may have had our first suicide.An old man may have taken his own life because of a dread of being isolated,neighbours say he was terrified of the prospect.
Just think some on here should be a little less quick to set themselves up as judge and jury.

Understand that completely. The argument is that by not socially distancing, these people are putting other innocent people who do want to live at risk.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Nobody is " being judge and jury " but just trying to bang some sense into people. Nobody said social distancing was going to be easy but it is essential.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here