Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Local Radio survey

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Hi all

I haven't posted on here for years, but some of you may remember me as the former Amex stadium announcer until a few years ago.

I'm also a local radio presenter and recently the radio industry has seen a lot of change. It is affecting local stations, not just in Sussex, but across the UK.

I'm doing some important research into the issue and I am running a survey, the results of which will be given to MPs, Ofcom etc.

If you listen to radio in Sussex, or anywhere in the UK. Could you please take the survey? It's really short, should only take 60 seconds to complete. It would be great to hear your opinions on the subject.

The survey can be found here https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/WNG27NS

Thanks for your time :albion2:

Something went wrong because Juice and Southern FM where surely not given their FM licenses with the idea they were to be sold off to National Stations. I don't know the in's and outs of local radio but I feel some people have been very hard done by such as employees and actual Brighton and Sussex people for not being able to listen about local info. Local Radio is very important.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Something went wrong because Juice and Southern FM where surely not given their FM licenses with the idea they were to be sold off to National Stations. I don't know the in's and outs of local radio but I feel some people have been very hard done by such as employees and actual Brighton and Sussex people for not being able to listen about local info. Local Radio is very important.

It's surely not right that local FM licences (like the old Juice & Southern ones) are now being used to broadcast a virtual national product via the backdoor. These brands (Heart/Capital/Smooth) already have the national versions of their brands available to listeners via DAB.

Ultimately all of this rests with the regulator, Ofcom. They have allowed deregulation of the industry, which stands mainly to benefit the select couple of corporations who are now monopolising the industry.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Hi all

I haven't posted on here for years, but some of you may remember me as the former Amex stadium announcer until a few years ago.

I'm also a local radio presenter and recently the radio industry has seen a lot of change. It is affecting local stations, not just in Sussex, but across the UK.

I'm doing some important research into the issue and I am running a survey, the results of which will be given to MPs, Ofcom etc.

If you listen to radio in Sussex, or anywhere in the UK. Could you please take the survey? It's really short, should only take 60 seconds to complete. It would be great to hear your opinions on the subject.

The survey can be found here https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/WNG27NS

Thanks for your time :albion2:

Bounce!

If there is any chance we could keep this going, it would be amazing and much appreciated. We now have nearly 700 survey responses, but we need to meet the newsroom standard of 1001 responses. I know from past experience that NSC is really helpful with stuff like this.

Thanks again

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Done. Can't stand Heart and their "less music choice" philosophy and their constant adverts and sponging for calls to their competitions which must make them hundreds of thousands in revenue from the premium rate phone line. Just bland money making big corporate controlled tripe.

Used to listen to Southern FM, was totally different vibe.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Started listening to More FM, Worthing based, it's ok for the couple of hours a day I'm in the car.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Local radio is the bread and butter of the business I imagine. How Heart recruit their cretinous presenters is a real mystery to me, do they tour mental hospitals looking for egomaniacs and terminal bores?theres a show on right now where contestants have to match one of the three manic hosts guesses to word match...”I say Move...you say...Shake” what utter cockjugglery.

P.S. it’s only on because the other half thinks R4 is “a load of old jaw” while she’s making the kids packed lunches.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Survey done. People fought long and hard to get it. Now apparently it's disappearing with a bit of a whimper. Sad.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Is More radio under threat? There are some really good presenters on More. Nick ( miss Emily in the morning)and Simon, Simon is very knowledgable on his music. Love listening on Saturday nights.
Done survey.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Is More radio under threat? There are some really good presenters on More. Nick ( miss Emily in the morning)and Simon, Simon is very knowledgable on his music. Love listening on Saturday nights.
Done survey.

No, not under threat as far as I know. But the industry has gone a bit crazy since deregulation. Hundreds losing jobs, millions losing their local shows and stations. Travesty is, it never needed to happen. Commercial radio is making more money than it ever has done, record profits and impressive listening figures continue despite the rise of podcasts, on demand, Spotify etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here