Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Local players

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Last year Crewe Alexandra fielded an entire team comprised of academy graduates.
Impressive.
How many have been sold this summer? I know Luke Murphy was the most promising and he's gone to Blackburn. Didn't they have some striker everyone wanted ?

Blackburn had a £1m offer accepted, but he ended up signing for (dirty) Leeds.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well, I think Moses and Zaha would have been professional footballers without the help of Palace.

Just so happens that they are the highest ranked side in London behind the usual suspects, a large pool of players and allowing a greater chance of first team football without expensive imports blocking their path.

I think Walcott would have been the player he is, Southampton didn't magically transform him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, I think Moses and Zaha would have been professional footballers without the help of Palace.

Just so happens that they are the highest ranked side in London behind the usual suspects, a large pool of players and allowing a greater chance of first team football without expensive imports blocking their path.

I think Walcott would have been the player he is, Southampton didn't magically transform him.

You're effectively saying that academies and coaches add no value. You'd better ring Tony quick and tell them to down tools in Lancing.

In small part you are right though - the academy team at Saints didn't 'magically transform him'. There is no magic involved. Just a lot of hard work, experience and skill. And of course the ability to spot and attract the right raw talent and athleticism to work with.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Last year Crewe Alexandra fielded an entire team comprised of academy graduates.
Impressive.
How many have been sold this summer? I know Luke Murphy was the most promising and he's gone to Blackburn. Didn't they have some striker everyone wanted ?

He went to United last season. Powell I think

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Sorry BOF I ususally agree with you on most points and you seem like a nice chap.

however on this subject you are completely CLUELESS.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sorry BOF I ususally agree with you on most points and you seem like a nice chap.

however on this subject you are completely CLUELESS.

Why is it clueless to suggest that geography, money and/or reputation is a major factor in producing players?

You're effectively saying that academies and coaches add no value. You'd better ring Tony quick and tell them to down tools in Lancing.

In small part you are right though - the academy team at Saints didn't 'magically transform him'. There is no magic involved. Just a lot of hard work, experience and skill. And of course the ability to spot and attract the right raw talent and athleticism to work with.

No. I'm saying certain academies can afford to offer better deals to better players, thus a better success rate in talent turned out.

There is nothing to suggest that Walcott would have been unwise to stay at Swindon.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There aren't that many starlets growing up round here though, are there?

Sussex is not and has never been a hotbed of talented footballers.

Go and watch an u15s game on Hackney Marshes & you'll see lads who are way ahead of their Sussex equivalents in ability. It must at least partly be due to sheer numbers, but that itself creates competition and raises standards.

I maintain that it's far easier for Palace's youth scouts to go and identify genuine prospects in and around their area than it is for ours round the likes of Worthing & Eastbourne.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here