Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Local Council Elections

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
[MENTION=15917]lewis[/MENTION]_goodall
1m
A bit of history. Different circumstances, different seats but mildly instructive. How many seats the incumbent Leader of the Opposition won in the locals when the govt they opposed was 9 years in. Kinnock in 1988: +76 Cameron in 2006: +316 Corbyn in 2019: -110 (and counting)

Unelectable.

But so are the Tories right now.... makes predicting the next general tricky, but every chance of a Labour-SNP-Plaid minority coalition tacitly supported on certain issues by LibDem, Green, ChangeUK....

..which would be interesting....

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Just starting to come in from MSDC.
Cons holding Bolney plus Lucastes and Franklands wards in Haywards Heath.
Burgess Hill is where the Conservatives will be in trouble over the Northern Arc and failure to deliver anything on the town centre redevelopment.

I think they may well have been concerned as Conservative candidates were going door to door in the streets surrounding the polling station on Cyprus Road yesterday!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mrs May quick to spot that the result indicates that people " Just want to get on with Brexit " … talk about incisive ? Nothing to do with ongoing austerity and the squeeze on council resources then ?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Alistair McNair (Conservative), Carol Ann Theobald (Conservative) and Lee Michael Wares (Conservative) have been elected as councillors for the Patcham ward.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Could the Greens win Brighton and Hove?

BBC South East reporter John Young says "the rumour is the optimism is all with the Green party" in Brighton.

Although the majority of wards are still left to declare, he says Greens are already telling him they could be leading the council again.

In 2011 Brighton and Hove became the first Green council in the country and the area is also home to the party's only MP, Caroline Lucas. However, the party lost control of the council in 2015.

John says Brighton's election has also been affected by national issues, with Brexit damaging the Conservatives and the anti-Semitism row impacting Labour.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

BBC South East reporter John Young says "the rumour is the optimism is all with the Green party" in Brighton.

Although the majority of wards are still left to declare, he says Greens are already telling him they could be leading the council again.

In 2011 Brighton and Hove became the first Green council in the country and the area is also home to the party's only MP, Caroline Lucas. However, the party lost control of the council in 2015.

John says Brighton's election has also been affected by national issues, with Brexit damaging the Conservatives and the anti-Semitism row impacting Labour.

Unlikely to win outright- but could be the largest party.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Leslie Arthur Hamilton (Labour) and Alan Robins (Labour) have been elected as councillors for the South Portslade ward.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Having complained that my Green vote would be worthless out here in the Bramber, Upper Beeding and Woodmancote ward I find out that our man has just been elected.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Will this mean more of those lovely plant pots in the road?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
But so are the Tories right now.... makes predicting the next general tricky, but every chance of a Labour-SNP-Plaid minority coalition tacitly supported on certain issues by LibDem, Green, ChangeUK....

..which would be interesting....

I would seriously advise the Libs against any sort of coalition with an unpopular government in future. Even just on a supply & demand basis.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Robert Nemeth (Conservative) and Garry Peltzer Dunn (Conservative) have been elected as councillors for the Wish ward.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Wishbourne SOLID Labour both candidates elected, I KNEW my knocking on doors would have an EFFECT

I wonder if your excursions into Withdean had any effect.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Peter Gerald Atkinson (Labour) and Anne Louis Pissaridou (Labour) have been elected as councillors for the North Portslade ward.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I would seriously advise the Libs against any sort of coalition with an unpopular government in future. Even just on a supply & demand basis.

Which is why they didn't enter into coalition with Labour in 2010 because Gordon Brown had just been trounced, and why they knocked back Theresa May in 2017.

It's about time the electorate became a bit more grown up about coalition arrangements and realised issues aren't all black and white.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here