Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Local Council Elections

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Still, at least he didn't burn any bridges at his previous stomping ground and can no doubt rejoin without any hard feelings.

:lolol:

As we speak, Timmy is drawing a big fat line through the writing above his shaving mirror that reads:

2019 - Local Cownsul
2022 - Tory MP
2023 - Forun Secretary
2025 - Prime Minister

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Aside from what is clearly the best result of the night (and perhaps the best single result since the Seagulls Party ousted key members of LDC) the city of B&H is now on a knife-edge between Green and Lab.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Aside from what is clearly the best result of the night (and perhaps the best single result since the Seagulls Party ousted key members of LDC) the city of B&H is now on a knife-edge between Green and Lab.

Let’s hope Green get in and finish off the wonderful work they started last time, amazing to think though many if not all the Green Councillors elected are remainers yet if the leave didn’t win they wouldn’t have had a look in in these elections!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
And to to think of all that trouble HB&B went to, to erase his 'colourful' on-line history in preparation for his new political career...

In fairness to our roving [former] reporter, he got over 1500 votes and did better than the other two Tories. But in general, democracy breathes a sigh of relief.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Let’s hope Green get in and finish off the wonderful work they started last time, amazing to think though many if not all the Green Councillors elected are remainers yet if the leave didn’t win they wouldn’t have had a look in in these elections!

Bitter pill to swallow for Chicken Run. Diddums.
Suspect Green success here more down to rejection of Tories as per the country as a whole and concern over Momentum Labour. Mind you, I think Lab will be marginally the largest party

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Indeed ....

stream_img.jpg

My votes in this local election had nothing to do with my views on Brexit. Only an idiot would link the two.

I think Westdene has a point. Do you also scribble 'I want fortnightly rubbish collections' across your parliamentary ballot paper :facepalm:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Amazing result in Withdean, The Greens manage to win all three seats, even against one of NSC finest?

He had a genuine member of NSC's finest shooing him off his property and no doubt rabble rousing his neighbours to do likewise during the hustings. :salute:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think the penny has dropped with some that binary, two-party adversial politics has made Brexit undeliverable under the current format.

Furthermore, the polarisation of the two parties has led others to abandon them and explore other options. Once the centre ground sorts itself out I believe there's a solid 20%+ of votes there, plus 5-10% for the Greens as environmental issues are increasingly pushed to the fore in the news.

Given the support for Remain in Scotland it is difficult to see how either of the 2 main parties can win a majority of seats any time soon, and that will mean a 3rd hung parliament out of the last 4 General Elections.

The days of families voting the same way through the generations and the main two parties being anchored by class and geography are gone - Brexit has changed everything.

The interesting question is whether the 2017 GE was an anomaly, which bucked the decades-long trend of the disintegration of the duopoly which, of course, is bolstered by the national FPTP constituency form.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Edit: actually I can’t be bothered with political chat! Bye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In fairness to our roving [former] reporter, he got over 1500 votes and did better than the other two Tories. But in general, democracy breathes a sigh of relief.

Rejexit means rejexit

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The leader of the Conservatives could lose his seat by a handful of votes.

Tony Janio represents the Hangleton and Knoll ward, which is currently subject to a re-count.

Various sources told The Argus that in one recount in the ward, the difference between votes was four.

In another vote check, it was one.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Funnily enough, a friend of mine, labour party member, in the same ward as me,was doing the leaflet drop in the road next to me and said she saw the guy who was doing my road.

She also said she thought it unlikely he would posting any of his leaflets.......I didn't get one.

I did vote for my local labour candidate in the end tho, and she got in, so happy days.

My ward has gone from 3 tories to 1 Tory, 1 Labour and 1 Lib Dem.:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I'm really pleased you did. My point is that local councillors, on the whole, work hard and are not well paid for their job -- this means that it discourages younger and working class members of the public from standing, as they don't have savings to rest on. There are all sorts of people involved in politics -- of both the party and non-party form -- and the vast majority do make considerable sacrifices which is rarely acknowledged by the public..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here