Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Local architect (B&H) recommendations

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Considering doing some renovations to Maison WS but some of it will require an architect and possibly planning permission. Can anyone recommend a local architect ?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We used Drum. David is a lovely guy, practical, and reasonable. For a kitchen extension and re-design, fee was less than 2% of the overall project. Money well spent:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
We used Drum. David is a lovely guy, practical, and reasonable. For a kitchen extension and re-design, fee was less than 2% of the overall project. Money well spent:

2% is a decent fee. I was involved in a building project about 15 years ago and a couple of the architects were asking 8-10% of the build costs. Nuts for the amount of work involved, £40-£50k for a couple of weeks work. I wish I could earn that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
2% is a decent fee. I was involved in a building project about 15 years ago and a couple of the architects were asking 8-10% of the build costs. Nuts for the amount of work involved, £40-£50k for a couple of weeks work. I wish I could earn that.
Just to avoid misinformation, we commissioned about ten different contractors for the project, and none of the fees were dependent on those for the others. The (less than) 2% figure was simply the architect fee divided by the overall cost. For that, we had a visit and consultation on site, the chance to see a recently completed project with a similar design (which is the one on the website home page -- ours isn't quite as high spec as that), drawing up the design, tweaking it, taking the project through planning, etc, and several phone calls.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Thought I'd update this thread. Drum are utterly rude and incapable of thinking. Had an appointment today at midday - never turned up and when rung they claimed to be at a different address. When challenged as to why he didn't ring ( giving him the benefit of the doubt the wrong address had been given because of a typo ) got all arsey and rude. Claiming he didn't have a phone number despite having spoken to Mrs WS on the phone last week. He then said "well I guess we'll just forget about it". Then had the cheek to email Mrs WS saying we'd wasted two hours of his time. Good riddance to him. AVOID at all costs.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Thought I'd update this thread. Drum are utterly rude and incapable of thinking. Had an appointment today at midday - never turned up and when rung they claimed to be at a different address. When challenged as to why he didn't ring ( giving him the benefit of the doubt the wrong address had been given because of a typo ) got all arsey and rude. Claiming he didn't have a phone number despite having spoken to Mrs WS on the phone last week. He then said "well I guess we'll just forget about it". Then had the cheek to email Mrs WS saying we'd wasted two hours of his time. Good riddance to him. AVOID at all costs.
Uh oh

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Blimey. Even if there was a genuine misunderstanding, you would think a bit of customer service wouldn’t go amiss. Maybe it’s better you know now rather than half way through your project!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
About 7/8 years ago I was working on a project for a trader in London. He phoned me up and asked me to attend a meeting at his house at ten to eleven. When I was on the train to London at about 10 O’clock he phoned me up asking where I said I was as on my way for the meeting at 10.50am. The penny dropped when he said the meeting was from 10am to 11am. It’s all about communication!!!

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Considering doing some renovations to Maison WS but some of it will require an architect and possibly planning permission. Can anyone recommend a local architect ?

Alistair Dodd at ADC.

Season ticket holder and a very good guy to work with. He was the architect for our construction project, and has been brilliant throughout.

PM me if you want more info.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here