Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This whole episode is a good reminder that paying big bucks for a striker doesn’t guarantee any kind of success.

It’s also another reminder that we should take showreels with a pinch of salt. That said, I don’t think this sort of signing would happen now with Ashworth here.

https://youtu.be/JdFuvNfqrIM

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He did have 3 games over Xmas before last where he looked decent. £4mil a game or whatever it is but well worth it :)

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
This whole episode is a good reminder that paying big bucks for a striker doesn’t guarantee any kind of success.

It’s also another reminder that we should take showreels with a pinch of salt. That said, I don’t think this sort of signing would happen now with Ashworth here.

https://youtu.be/JdFuvNfqrIM

He’s even shit on his showreel :)

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I remember thinking he looked "ok" against Coventry. Got that one wrong! My God we have wasted some money in spectacular fashion in the last 5 years.

I think this was one of the major reasons Hughton was let go, 17m on AJ, hardly played and was crap when played.. Bernardo 9m,hardly played, was crap when played. Locadia, 15m hardly played, was crap when played. Izquierdo 13m although he did well while playing but was a large transfer at the time, i don't remember much of him in his second season. We wasted a lot of money and only 2 over 10m players were super for us, Propper and Bissouma, and he didn't start becoming a starter until mid way through last season.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think this was one of the major reasons Hughton was let go, 17m on AJ, hardly played and was crap when played.. Bernardo 9m,hardly played, was crap when played. Locadia, 15m hardly played, was crap when played. Izquierdo 13m although he did well while playing but was a large transfer at the time, i don't remember much of him in his second season. We wasted a lot of money and only 2 over 10m players were super for us, Propper and Bissouma, and he didn't start becoming a starter until mid way through last season.

This feels a little bit like a case of when the signing is good the recruitment team get the credit, when the player is poor the manager gets the blame.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

So Hughton should have played them, even though they were crap? Righty-ho.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I doubt he was personally responsible for signing those players... I dont think it works like that in the PL these days. Probably more common in lower divisions as its about less money, but in the Premier League, I think Arsene Wenger was the latest and probably last manager (full power to select who he wants to sign, negotiating the transfer fees and the contract terms).

All of those players seem like people being on different pages and trying to find some compromise. Take Locadia. CH says "give me a big striker who can hold up the ball... someone like Emile Heskey... he still around?", whoever ran the recruitment team said "let's find something exotic in a different league", TB says "I want us to sign players able to develop". The result: tall former supertalent signed from abroad. Same with the others. Bernardo - CH: "Give me a full back who is dependable and consistent, like Steve Finnan", recruitment team: "hmm maybe something exotic", TB: "player who can develop into something nice". Result: some fairly young pseudobrazilian who had perfomed averagely well in RB Leipzig.

Thats the impression these days. Get the feeling that GP, DA and TB are more on the same page.

el punal

He had so much goodwill from a lot of our younger supporters when it was plainly obvious pretty early on he was shit. What game was it he fell over through on goal? Kind of summed him up. Shocking signing

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

To be honest we’ve had quite a few gash strikers over the years, certainly square pegs in round holes at the Amex. In fact some who were so anonymous I can’t remember their names, just my reaction - as in the FFS not again moment.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
How many time have you given a player (not a defender or Stephens) a ‘9’ in the traditional post match player ratings?

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?369169-Player-ratings-vs-Arsenal-(h)

Wow - that must have taken some analysis [emoji2]. Can’t help but be impressed.

(Though finding Locadia’s better games does narrow the search down substantially).

Haven’t given that many 3’s either, but if you look I’m sure you might find some.

Not sure about the comment around Stephens and defenders, though over the years Bruno and Dunk must have had some 9’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A bit harsh on AJ. He might not be any better, but at least he seems to be trying.

Sooner we can offload him, and move on AJ, the better though.

Yes he does try, but he’s not good enough and needs to be off-loaded.

In terms of recent purchases, neither have produced and arguably are the biggest waste of money since we’ve been in the PL.

The comment was ‘tongue in cheek’, so a little harsh on AJ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
We seem to have a system where we sign a player with a big fanfare, create customer excitement, then hold them back for weeks (doing something to them) then play them a couple of times out of position and they are seen as gash. Maybe they always were or maybe we sucked the enthusiasm/confidence out of them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We seem to have a system where we sign a player with a big fanfare, create customer excitement, then hold them back for weeks (doing something to them) then play them a couple of times out of position and they are seen as gash. Maybe they always were or maybe we sucked the enthusiasm/confidence out of them.

Most of the signings in this thread were signed years ago... in recent times they've done better. Since GP arrived:

Trossard - not exactly killed it but I dont think anyone would put him in the Locadia box
Maupay - 10 goals in his first PL season, 7 goals this season, couple of assists as well. Done fine.
Webster - great.
Mooy - looked great in a few games but other than that never brilliant, but a decent squad player who got sold with a profit
Lamptey - words unnecessary
Veltman - done well
Lallana - good player... when playing
Welbeck - did fine before until his cat scratched him on the leg or something
Zeqiri, Tau, Moder, Karbo - too early to tell

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Wow - that must have taken some analysis [emoji2]. Can’t help but be impressed.

(Though finding Locadia’s better games does narrow the search down substantially).

Haven’t given that many 3’s either, but if you look I’m sure you might find some.

Not sure about the comment around Stephens and defenders, though over the years Bruno and Dunk must have had some 9’s.

From memory, he had three very good games. The Arsenal one plus Coventry & Millwall cup games.

At 6ft 1”, many fans expected a player who was good in the air, strong and could hold the ball up. In reality, he was about as good at those things as Trossard but had a good shot on him at distance as he hit the ball very hard.

Like AJ & Izquierdo, he was more of a winger than a number 9 (the position we all wanted) and played on flanks of a front 3.

Let’s hope we get some money back for him; we’ve had far worse players but the price tag certainly sets a very high bar for the lad that he was unable to vault.

As others have said, poor Chris had injured Izzy, AJ, Andone & Locadia to help Murray get the goals - they really didn’t that much but we can’t seem to get rid of any of them.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Another waste of money sadly

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The fact Locadia walks and runs like Charlie Chaplin really didn't help his cause. He can get quite a speed up but at the start his splayed feet look comical.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
He had so much goodwill from a lot of our younger supporters when it was plainly obvious pretty early on he was shit. What game was it he fell over through on goal? Kind of summed him up. Shocking signing

Did that happen at Southampton away once? Or was it AJ? Do remember being in the away end laughing with loads of our fans when it happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here