Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia Today

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Certainly the last couple of games he has been great at chasing back when we lose the ball. Still a juggling act for Chris to give people like Locadia and Ali J (when fit) the game time they need toi get used to the P/L. Hard to get up to speed with just minutes here and there.

It might be hard to get up to speed with just minutes here and there, but that is the nature of their profession, and to get your chance you have to show enough in those precious minutes and on the training ground that you are worthy of more. It has taken Locadia some time, but something has changed, whether our tactics, his confidence / happiness, and even without the goals, his performance levels are light years ahead of where he was a couple of months or even weeks ago.

I've got to say Chris has showed a lot of patience with him, and he and the staff have to be congratulated on taking a player that for many looked like being ready for being shipped out in January to one that is arguably now one of the first on the team sheet at present.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I really think a lot of it is to do with the partnership that Bernardo and himself have developed. There was an attack against Arsenal, Bernardo and Locadia both tearing down the left wing, they just looked like a pair of raptors on a hunt!

Bernardo, though, eh? Wins every header, pace, sense of adventure ... we all love Bissouma but this guy could be the best signing of all.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
At the moment that's Ali, Ak & Jose's problem.
It's up to Big Jurg to keep it that way.

It will be interesting to see how Chris evolves the team from this point. The last 3 games we've looked so much more dynamic going forward and we don't look completely reliant on Murray to feed on the odd scrap to get goals. As you say, three other 3 might have to learn to fit in this system rather that go back to two wingers who pay close to the touchline.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It will be interesting to see how Chris evolves the team from this point. The last 3 games we've looked so much more dynamic going forward and we don't look completely reliant on Murray to feed on the odd scrap to get goals. As you say, three other 3 might have to learn to fit in this system rather that go back to two wingers who pay close to the touchline.

Quite interesting how this development has snuck up on everybody. :lol:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

I may get slaughtered for this opinion...but I don't think we have looked more dynamic going forward recently in fact I think we were more dynamic previously. Our change in formation has ment we win back possession quicker and have more possession in our matches but I think we are lacking something in the final third and I'd prefer to see Gross in a more advanced position

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
In the Guardian today - wonder if the journalist Nick Ames frequents these pages?

Arsène Wenger used to say that an overseas recruit arriving in the Premier League needed 12 months to get up to speed. He deployed that maxim with particular reference to Eduardo da Silva, who arrived in 2007, but is there any reason it should not survive today? Jürgen Locadia joined Brighton from PSV Eindhoven last January and is hardly the first player to start slowly after leaving the Dutch league. Until Boxing Day he had not scored in 10 months; the player himself was frustrated and while Chris Hughton is diplomatic enough to suggest otherwise, the club were hardly enthralled by his progress either. Yet he has provided big contributions against Arsenal and Everton in successive games, looking perfectly at home, and perhaps it is a reminder that the speed at which players are judged nowadays can be highly counterproductive.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I may get slaughtered for this opinion...but I don't think we have looked more dynamic going forward recently in fact I think we were more dynamic previously. Our change in formation has ment we win back possession quicker and have more possession in our matches but I think we are lacking something in the final third and I'd prefer to see Gross in a more advanced position

I don't know if the team is more dynamic or not but they certainly look more threatening and thankfully less predictable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and there is no right or wrong one, I totally disagree with what you are saying though :smile:

Prior to Bournemouth I thought we were playing the dullest and most predictable football in the Premier League. I have bloody loved the last few games, I fecking hated most of our play before that, although I get why we played like that. We now look threatening when we attack.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and there is no right or wrong one, I totally disagree with what you are saying though :smile:

Prior to Bournemouth I thought we were playing the dullest and most predictable football in the Premier League. I have bloody loved the last few games, I fecking hated most of our play before that, although I get why we played like that. We now look threatening when we attack.

Seconded. Still think there is a tactical switch to a narrower 433 when attacking, supplemented with Bernardo and Montoya bombing forward wide rather than having two out and out wingers, and 451 when defending.

Locadia is drifting inside (to very good effect) a lot, meaning we’ve got more presence in and around the box (rather than just hoping Murray has managed to get there) and Propper is becoming more noticeable in forward positions (as Gross becomes a bit less so) as the two of them are operating perhaps just ahead of Dale. Andone is key as well as he is so quick - means he can press higher up the pitch, and also pins the opposition back a bit.

Perhaps we’re now doing what CH always wanted to do, it’s just taken time to get the right personnel up to speed and accommodated. I can see Bissouma rotating with Gross/Propper and Andone being first choice striker in no time.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Yes - we always look as though we might score. I said sometime ago that even when we were winning 1-0 we didn't look as though we were going to score even when we did! So much more exciting now - long may it last.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You're correct to identify that the switch to 4-3-3 is reliant on us playing full backs with the ability and aptitude to get up the flanks and join the attack, allowing Jurgen and Solly to wander between full back and defender. Every time we've tried 4-3-3 before this season, we've not had players get forward in wide areas, (no criticism of Bongy or Bruno, it's just not so much their game) and we've been rubbish. Also it's interesting to see how Stephens has been taking responsibility to drop into the defence when he sees Bernardo rampaging forward, thus cutting off any potential counter attack. He's the perfect player for a holding midfield position.

Seconded. Still think there is a tactical switch to a narrower 433 when attacking, supplemented with Bernardo and Montoya bombing forward wide rather than having two out and out wingers, and 451 when defending.

Locadia is drifting inside (to very good effect) a lot, meaning we’ve got more presence in and around the box (rather than just hoping Murray has managed to get there) and Propper is becoming more noticeable in forward positions (as Gross becomes a bit less so) as the two of them are operating perhaps just ahead of Dale. Andone is key as well as he is so quick - means he can press higher up the pitch, and also pins the opposition back a bit.

Perhaps we’re now doing what CH always wanted to do, it’s just taken time to get the right personnel up to speed and accommodated. I can see Bissouma rotating with Gross/Propper and Andone being first choice striker in no time.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think we had a discussion about this at the time, and I was one preaching patience that the more exciting football would come as the players found their form.

It is a clear indication for me at least that Chris is not the dull defensive manager people suggest, but one that will set a team up to suit their strengths and form at that point in time. With Locadia, Andone, Bernado, Montoya, Propper and Gross all now playing the best football of the season, it isn't really a surprise we are seeing a much more attacking adventurous side. Regardless of tactics I don't think we were capable of this with any regularity earlier in the season, and the chances we conceded to Everton show that with adventure comes a lot of risk, however the balance seems to be about right as we head into the new year.

I never did find it dull or predictable, but fully appreciate where you and others were coming from with regard to how we were playing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think we had a discussion about this at the time, and I was one preaching patience that the more exciting football would come as the players found their form.

It is a clear indication for me at least that Chris is not the dull defensive manager people suggest, but one that will set a team up to suit their strengths and form at that point in time. With Locadia, Andone, Bernado, Montoya, Propper and Gross all now playing the best football of the season, it isn't really a surprise we are seeing a much more attacking adventurous side. Regardless of tactics I don't think we were capable of this with any regularity earlier in the season, and the chances we conceded to Everton show that with adventure comes a lot of risk, however the balance seems to be about right as we head into the new year.

I never did find it dull or predictable, but fully appreciate where you and others were coming from with regard to how we were playing.

Fair enough but your last sentence is definitely coming from a man who played as a defender :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here