Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Lobster in Brighton / Hove

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I went for the garlic butter, the Thermidor is a bit more prepared. The Regency platters with the whole lobster are great if you all want to share and try everything.

Yep I agree with all of this - garlic butter would be my preferred 'novice' option.

I do bloody love a thermidor though. The Regency is very good as well, and the platters are fab.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I've had a look at their menu - which style did you have?

In fact, I should have asked at the start - what style lobster would you recommend for a 12 year old newcomer?

I should add that I think it's great what you're doing. I distinctly remember having smoked salmon for the first time (at around the same age as your daughter); my Mum made a massive song and dance about it and I can remember that first taste to this day. The same thing happened with trying Sancerre a few years later. This stuff sticks, I find.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I went for the garlic butter, the Thermidor is a bit more prepared.
Er, what does that mean? Prepared how?

The Regency platters with the whole lobster are great if you all want to share and try everything.
Sounds good, but sadly not for my family.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Doubt what you want but the "China Garden" does a really good Lobster Dish.
We were there recently, and she asked about having it, but I just felt she should try it with less spice first (not that I have any idea how China Garden prepare it). What's flavours do they add?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I should add that I think it's great what you're doing. I distinctly remember having smoked salmon for the first time (at around the same age as your daughter); my Mum made a massive song and dance about it and I can remember that first taste to this day. The same thing happened with trying Sancerre a few years later. This stuff sticks, I find.

Completely agree, our boys are encouraged to try all sorts of foods and they are better for it. Some they love some they know they don't like but also know tastes change. Anyone remember their first taste of bitter, took a few pints but I'm nearly there with it too!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yep I agree with all of this - garlic butter would be my preferred 'novice' option.

I do bloody love a thermidor though. The Regency is very good as well, and the platters are fab.

Yep I've always loved the Regency ,so much variety, something for everyone on the menu. The lobster will be less expensive than at Riddle & Finns too.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Funny thing, I can rememember at the age of about 10, being taken by my parents to their friends dinner party, there was a dish of olives on the table to nibble as the adults were enjoying their pre meal drinks. Being an inquisitive kid, and before my parents could stop me, I sampled one. The taste was repulsive and l immediately spat it across the room.

For some reason we never did get asked back.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Marocco's on Hove seafront does good lobster. They do a lovely lobster and spaghetti dish.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dear wise NSC

My daughter is about to turn 12, and she would like to celebrate her birthday by trying lobster. She likes fish and has asked about lobster before, and I've told her it's expensive and she can try it on her birthday, so here we are. Mrs T doesn't like fish, so we never go to seafood restaurants (and have no idea which are good/bad), but we can make an exception for the birthday girl (although it doesn't have to be a seafood restaurant, happy to go to anywhere that serves nice lobster).

I'm thinking of a Western style lobster, rather than Asian. Please also recommend the particular style you think most appropriate for a 12 year old newcomer.

Where would you knowledgeable folk recommend?

Thanks

Are you in Brighton? English's every time.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I've always wanted to try it so might book a table at the Regency[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here