You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
hans kraay fan club said:
Accordingly sent to my LIB DEM MP, Sandra Gidley;

EDM 882

Dear Mrs Gidley

I am writing to urge you to register your support for EDM 882. If you have not yet had the opportunity to see it, it reads thus;

“That this House regrets that, after more than five years, the planning application for the Brighton and Hove Community Stadium at Falmer is still unresolved; recognises the outstanding community, social and economic benefits and opportunities that the stadium would bring to the city and surrounding region; greatly appreciates the enormous contribution the stadium would make towards the regeneration of the deprived east Brighton area; acknowledges that these benefits amount to national considerations that weigh in favour of the stadium's development; recognises that Falmer is the only site in the city where a sustainable transport plan can be implemented; commends the Falmer stadium proposals to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government; and calls for the earliest possible decision in favour of the Falmer plans.”

I trust that you may be familiar with the predicament of the sporting community of Brighton and Hove, who have for five years, since the planning application for the proposed community stadium was first submitted, been waiting on a final decision from the government.

Of course we have already had one 'final decision' in favour of the proposals, which are desperately needed to regenerate the deprived area of East Brighton, and safeguard the future of the football club which contributes so much to the local community.

This first decision was withdrawn on a technicality, as an error had been made in the exact wording of the approval letter. We now await another final decision from Ruth Kelly, I call on you as my MP to show support for this worthwhile cause, to help her make the right decision.

I trust that you will follow your principles and sign the motion, in direct contrast to your party colleagues in Lewes, who have sought to obstruct the development at every stage, against the wishes of a great, great many of their constituents.

Very best regards
:clap: :clap:
ive just e-mailed that to baker

wonder if he'll reply :lolol:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Just emailed Charles Hendry but will be very surprised if he signs as he is generally a fence sitting, non commital windbag.

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
Last time I wrote to mine, his reply was,

"Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your letter, as a Parlimentary Private Secreatry I do not as a rule sign EDMs"

To which I was tempted to reply,
:safeway2: :safeway2: :safeway2:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
scotjem said:
Last time I wrote to mine, his reply was,

"Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your letter, as a Parlimentary Private Secreatry I do not as a rule sign EDMs"

To which I was tempted to reply,
:safeway2: :safeway2: :safeway2:

The bit about Parliamentary Private Secretaries is covered at www.clubsincrisis.com/clublist.asp?Key=2 under the heading "3. Is your MP able to sign?".

No, nothing to do with hand signals.:safeway2:

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
Have e-mailled my MP, fat Ken Clarke. He refused to sign the last one as he felt he shouldn't get involved in local issues outside of his constituency.

Crisp

Jul 11, 2003
Salisbury
I've just emailed my local (Tory) MP:

Mr Key,

I know this is not a constituency matter, but please can I encourage you to sign this EDM.

If you aren't aware of this, the motion is:

“That this House regrets that, after more than five years, the planning application for the Brighton and Hove Community Stadium at Falmer is still unresolved; recognises the outstanding community, social and economic benefits and opportunities that the stadium would bring to the city and surrounding region; greatly appreciates the enormous contribution the stadium would make towards the regeneration of the deprived east Brighton area; acknowledges that these benefits amount to national considerations that weigh in favour of the stadium's development; recognises that Falmer is the only site in the city where a sustainable transport plan can be implemented; commends the Falmer stadium proposals to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government; and calls for the earliest possible decision in favour of the Falmer plans.”

Brighton And Hove Albion Football Club have struggled to remain solvent whilst trying to fund the fight to build a stadium to ensure the survival of the club. By signing this motion, it will show Ruth Kelly the strength of national public feeling about this issue.
Although this shouldn't be a party political issue, the facts are that the Goldstone Ground was sold by the Liberal councillor David Bellotti, with an empty promise of a new ground. The new stadium has been delayed by the incompetence of the Deputy Prime Minister's office and has been opposed (with possible misuse of public funds) by the Liberal controlled Lewes District Council. By showing support for the Falmer Stadium, the Conservative party can only benefit when trying to regain some of the Brighton area seats in the next election.
The success of Salisbury City this season, in the FA Cup, FA Trophy and Conference South, and the subsequent local and national press coverage shows how important the national game is to the local community.

I hope I can rely on your support to convince Ms Kelly that the stadium at Falmer is the only way forward

Best Wishes

Chris

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Just emailed Mark Williams (Lib Dem) of Ceredigion:)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Someone else told me this today. Because he's a PPS in the cabinet office, or something. Grrrrrr. He's one of the most football-friendly MPs, too....

just because he can't sign it, doesn't mean that he can't be made aware of the subject.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not being funny but can't we just did out the old EDM and re-present that? Call me a cynic but it seems all these 'democratic' means do F.A.
The typical Albion fan must have spent £20 on stamps alone down the years and still those in authority either ignore or conveniently cock things up. That's why football's become bored of our struggle, the rest of the country has backed us superbly but they just don't understand why it goes on and on and on. Maintaining their support has become almost impossible; fans of other clubs I know just can't be arsed to sign any more petitions and letters in our name.

The only way someone's going to listen is if a splinter type group akin to the 'Real provisional' Seagulls party take more direct and drastic action against the establishment - I propose an official 'flan-man' to strike fear into the heart of the political elite! I can't be that person because I can't be trusted with a pie.......
:down:

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Is a letter better than an email?

Even if your MP has signed, is it worth sending a letter saying you have noticed, and are pleased with his/her support of our campaign?

Anybody know an MP, not just know of?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
portlock seagull said:
Not being funny but can't we just did out the old EDM and re-present that?

Wasn't it put down before the last election; ie in the last Parliament? If yes, it doesn't apply.

portlock seagull said:
Call me a cynic but it seems all these 'democratic' means do F.A.
The typical Albion fan must have spent £20 on stamps alone down the years and still those in authority either ignore or conveniently cock things up. That's why football's become bored of our struggle, the rest of the country has backed us superbly but they just don't understand why it goes on and on and on. Maintaining their support has become almost impossible; fans of other clubs I know just can't be arsed to sign any more petitions and letters in our name.

The only way someone's going to listen is if a splinter type group akin to the 'Real provisional' Seagulls party take more direct and drastic action against the establishment - I propose an official 'flan-man' to strike fear into the heart of the political elite! I can't be that person because I can't be trusted with a pie.......
:down:

Gosh, twenty pounds and a few afternoons in the cold. You're right, that's FAR too much to ask ANY reasonable football fan to put themselves through!

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Here's my response from Mr Loughton:

Dear Mr Hart
Thank you for your e-mail. Let me say at the outset that I do not support this EDM and will therefore not be signing it. I am of course very happy to explain my position to you as a constituent, although I do not expect this to be used by the Club or its supporters who have been very selective in how they have reported 'quotes' from me and other MPs in the past.

Clearly the fortunes of the Seagulls and the future of the Falmer stadium remains of great interest to a number of supporters who live in my constituency though it is not an issue over which I have a direct interest however as it is not located within my constituency nor subject to planning control by any West Sussex authorities.

I have always fully appreciated the excellent contribution and value of football within local communities and congratulate the good work that the Seagulls have done in this respect. I am currently working with the Youth Service and other local agencies to set up a 'Midnight Football' league in Lancing and I have been the President of the excellent Adur Athletic for the past few years. The difference is that neither of those two schemes involves building a huge stadium on a green field site on a protected area in the Downs. I also agree that the time and money spent on this project has been excessive and a decision should have been resolved ages ago. I fear that this has rather more to do with short term political considerations by the local Labour Party and Labour ministers and they are the ones who should take the blame.

You will be aware that a lot of my time in recent years has been taken up with opposing the central housebuilding targets being imposed on West Sussex and other counties in the south-east by the Government despite the fact that we are already one of the most densely populated parts of the country and our infrastructure (especially roads and water) is struggling to cope with what we already have now. I have worked with local resident groups and councillors to oppose a number of housebuilding schemes which are particularly inappropriately placed for all intents and purpose at the foot of the Downs behind Worthing and Adur. It is entirely consistent with that practice and the principles behind them therefore that I cannot give my support to the siting of this stadium in the middle of the Downs whether it be for a respectable community minded football club like the Seagulls or anyone else. It is the fault of the original owners of the club and the local council that the Seagulls find themselves without a home after all these years following the debacle over the Goldstone ground. They are the ones who should take the blame for this, not the residents of Falmer who now have the prospect of a large development imposed on green fields next to them, nor the councillors who support them and anyone else who disputes that this is an appropriate site.

Together with other West Sussex colleagues, I took the decision that whilst opposing the plans I would not actively campaign against them. This is despite the fact that neither the Club, its supporter's organisation nor Brighton & Hove Council have once contacted me with a view to explaining the proposals to me and enlisting my support. Certain groups have been ready however to encourage their members to lobby MPs and then if a supportive stance is not forthcoming attribute highly misleading quotes to them and urge people to vote against them at election times. This is disingenuous and unhelpful.

I hope this full response is helpful even if you may not agree with the consistent stance which I am continuing to take on behalf of the best interests of my constituents as a whole.

Tim Loughton MP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here