Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loanees !!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
WATFORD O said:
why doi you lot trust coppell? HE TOOK YOU DOWN!!!!!

1. He took Palace to 3rd in the entire league
2. Two season ago, he took Brentford to within 25 minutes of the first division with no money - since he left they haven't managed a top half finish.
3. Last season, he took a club with 4 points from its first 14 matches to within one game of safety.
4. He is a legend in the transfer market, having discovered players of the quality of Ian Wright, Mark Bright, Geoff Thomas, Simon Rodger, Steven Sidwell, Ben Burgess etc - some of whom we take the piss, but all of whom in their prime would walk into a Brighton/Orient best XI at the moment.
5. He has a track record of bring the best out of some average players.

Still, you stick with Paul "18th in division 3" Brush. He sounds like a f***ing legend. :rolleyes:

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I am not sure that I am being understood here, I am not critising SC or DK or the loan system, what I am worried about is that our Strikeforce (which I don't doubt are going to do a great job for us) are likely to leave at some point this season.

1 Perm,1 Loan I would say is safer. Even if the management said "if it goes well we will be looking to sign them permanently" and not just the "we'll see how it goes and then take it from there". I would be happier.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I agree that the loan signees could leave at any time but the point I was making was that Stevie is aware of that.

He is making contingency plans all the time and pulling off the impossible.

Ideally we'd love to have permanent signings but until the financial constraints of Withdean are behind us then we have to rely on frees and loans

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
I guess signing Henderson for a month gives SC the chance to continue his search for a perm signing - also give it a month one or two, the players that out of contract and are sticking out for high wages, maybe willing to drop.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Thats my point Yorkie, Frees or loanees both cost wages, the trouble is that loanees have no ties to the club, whereas frees do.

I suppose we have all been a little spoilt up front over the last few years, but I WANT, I WANT , I WANT (sorry spoilt brat mode!) a striker who is ours on paper as well as Strikers that are temporary on loan from others who will have them back if they are any good. Even Barrett was chased last year and he scored 1 in 30 or something, .....

Losing Sidwell hurt
Roberts being recalled hurt
The Rouge not being available for the end of the season Hurt. Barretts post hit against Palace really hurt..... :angry:
Junior Lewis Going Hurt

As I think my list shows the 4 that were any good for us, all left (and even Barret went).

Losing Knight / Henderson etc , how much will it hurt ? More if we have no option !!

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
simster, I dont rate brush but coppell is NOT a legend anywhere......and hes palace thru and thru so you go crawl up that arse pal....

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Losing Sidwell definitely hurt because we were prepared to shell out for him.

We let Roberts go back because Beasant was fit again and we have him now on a 'permanent' basis so that paid off.

Rouge not being available hurt (can you see a pattern here Mr Pardew?)

I don't miss Barrett and would have been happier if he had only been a 2 month loan rather than a season long one.

Maybe what is around the corner is better than what we have now? (the point I was trying to make with the Beasant/Roberts scenario)

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Falmer is the most important thing. If all the money has to go on that, then so be it.
If we have to muddle through with loan players until then, thats ok.
Once we have a ground then the future is bright. Lets face it until then we will have to make do with what we have and Steve is good at doing just that.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
I agree but shouldn't these loan players be used later in the season or is it just the typical money saving scheme from knight mmmm.:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here