Loanee left back

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
To my mind, this is a pointless debate at this stage. We don't know how serious the Bong injury is. BG mentions London Prem club DS squad LBs, but to my mind they might be no better than our own DS squad players and certainly equally inexperienced. Ashley Cole is just a non starter. Hasn't played competitively for probably 6 months so, regardless of his pedigree, he can't just walk in to a top of the Championship team and perform to the standard we need. Even if we wanted to meet his undoubted wages requirements! There has been comments to the effect of Calde being past it, but I have to disagree. Past it as a first team regular maybe. Rosenior was clearly brought in to replicate the role Calde played effectively at the end of last season at right side midfield but with more energy having younger legs. But don't underestimate Calde's enthusiasm, skill and commitment plus obvious levels of fitness and understanding of what's required by Hughton. We don't want to lose Bong, but may have no choice. Rosenior is the obvious choice to move to left back. Calde is the obvious choice to replace him as Rosenior was brought in to play the Calde role. And don't underestimate the obvious desire of the existing squad to maintain the unbeaten record. Any loanee, if Hughton identifies the need, will have a lot to live up to and need to fit in immediately. A young DS player from the Prem, or any player who isn't match fit, is going to struggle to slot in as we saw against PNE with Crofts. At the moment, I think the answer lies fro within the present squad.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Calde has been a great servant for the club, and a very good right back over the years, but right sided mid fielder at his age, when we are making a promotion challenge? It will be like Derby play off 2nd leg.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Calde has been a great servant for the club, and a very good right back over the years, but right sided mid fielder at his age, when we are making a promotion challenge? It will be like Derby play off 2nd leg.

I'm guessing none of those calling for Calderon to start have actually seen him play this season.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If Bong is out for more than four games, we will need a left footer. Mainly for playing the ball out of defence under pressure.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I'm sure we will be covered by Rosenior in the short term. However if Bong is out long term it would leave us with little cover. Greer and Bruno aren't young and while the first eleven may be ok we will need more cover at some point. Hopefully we should be able to get to January and then see where we are. I don't see Chicksen as adequate cover.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
The Argus reports today that injuries are mounting up for Albion? Are they? We do not know how bad Bong’s injury is. Stephens was left out of Saturday’s game as a precaution. Greer and Lua Lua are training again. Even Hambo and Harper are training. Am I alone in finding the Argus’s headline alarmist and misleading? They are making a crisis out of a drama.

dr415414

May 6, 2015
The Argus reports today that injuries are mounting up for Albion? Are they? We do not know how bad Bong’s injury is. Stephens was left out of Saturday’s game as a precaution. Greer and Lua Lua are training again. Even Hambo and Harper are training. Am I alone in finding the Argus’s headline alarmist and misleading? They are making a crisis out of a drama.
This! Piling up? Greer & Lua Lua almost ready. Stephens hopefully back,Kayal available again. Only real worry is Bong. Naylor after an attention grabbing headline...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This! Piling up? Greer & Lua Lua almost ready. Stephens hopefully back,Kayal available again. Only real worry is Bong. Naylor after an attention grabbing headline...

Is this true? Or has he picked up an injury whereby he is 'nearly-ready-but-not-quite' for each game for the next 3 or 4 weeks ?

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
As we haven't got a left footed replacement except for Chicksen, who is our best right footer on his left foot in defence. I would say Holla.

I think right footed Uwe Hünemeier is stronger on his left than Rosenoir who is average on his left (i.e. not so good) rather than Calderon who is below average.

Chickson's main asset is his tenacity rather than lack of pace or lack of aerial ability.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports