Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Allowed the king to pardon John Porteous, who had commanded his troops to shoot protestors. This lead to a riot.
Could see Braverman doing similar.
Braverman and Sunak were heckled in Chelmsford today, about refugees and small boats, by the good folk of Essex, well known for their liberal, left wing views!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Braverman and Sunak were heckled in Chelmsford today, about refugees and small boats, by the good folk of Essex, well known for their liberal, left wing views!
Note how they chose short police officers.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Allowed the king to pardon John Porteous, who had commanded his troops to shoot protestors. This lead to a riot.
Could see Braverman doing similar.
Rubbish. Braverman would be furious with Porteous that he got to do it and not her.

(That's a joke BTW before anyone wants to start whinging)

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
What was the heckling though?
That they weren't doing enough to keep the 'illegals' out, I'd guess?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
What was the heckling though?
That they weren't doing enough to keep the 'illegals' out, I'd guess?
Yeah, like when I occasionally read that some Tories are concerned about poverty - they probably mean that there's still not enough of it!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Probably.

But we must be careful not to veer dangerously into false equivalence.

Truss is up there with the "very worst of the very worst".
If you say so, I don't see it. Bad is bad but someone will always hate the Prime Minister/President these days. Putting a grade or evaluation on how "bad" they actually were doesn't help.

Unless, of course, you are talking about Donald Trump, he is PURE EVIL, THE DEVIL INCARNATE!!!!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If you say so, I don't see it. Bad is bad but someone will always hate the Prime Minister/President these days. Putting a grade or evaluation on how "bad" they actually were doesn't help.

Unless, of course, you are talking about Donald Trump, he is PURE EVIL, THE DEVIL INCARNATE!!!!
With what Truss did to many people's mortgage payments and pension pots in her short disastrous stint, I can't think of a worse PM.

Thankfully the pensions somewhat recovered after she was booted out, but some mortgage payers will still be suffering from her ruinous budget.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
With what Truss did to many people's mortgage payments and pension pots in her short disastrous stint, I can't think of a worse PM.

Thankfully the pensions somewhat recovered after she was booted out, but some mortgage payers will still be suffering from her ruinous budget.
Pension damage was largely adverted, but the additional cost to servicing public debt will be felt for a long time. A very expensive 49 days.

Last edited:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Pension damage was largely adverted, but the additional cost to servicing public debt will be felt for a long time. A very expensive 49 days.
Except, if you took your DB pension around then, it's fairly likely that any actuarial factors that were used to adjust early or late payments, and related lump sums, (or transfer values) would have changed (for the worse), and negatively impacted your DB pension. I was almost caught out, but luckily the Trustees of my scheme agreed to honour any quotes that had been produced before the mini budget.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I think it’s been said that the Truss/Kwarteng shit show makes up 0.75% of the mortgage rate increases.

A lot!

The worst combo in our history, probably. And an unelected pm.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Do you know what treason actually is these days?

Probably not.
Really interesting story. He wasn’t even British but got hung on a technicality! Great stuff seeing as he was anti-semitic till the end.

“The historian A. J. P. Taylor remarked in his book English History 1914–1945 that "Technically, Joyce was hanged for making a false statement when applying for a passport, the usual penalty for which is a small fine."

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Blimey they're still giving her headlines, just why?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Blimey they're still giving her headlines, just why?
Chris Mason:

"Labour are delighted she is out and about again - they think her very appearance in a whole load of interviews is hugely helpful to their cause.

And if you are of a sceptical inclination, wondering why or whether she deserves attention, I would say all former prime ministers deserve scrutiny.

And hers is a voice still listened to and influential among her party members, as many Tories privately anticipate losing the election, and consider their future after it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68823526

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here