Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I'm not accusing anybody on here, but I don't like the media attitude to Angela Rayner. She is someone who left school at 16, pregnant and without qualifications. Her mother couldn't read. She hasn't had the educational advantages that most in parliament have, but this doesn't make her stupid, just less refined in her grammar etc. We all spend a lot of time complaining that we are run by a political class of people who proceed from PPE at Oxford, to being SPADs, to being candidates, to being MPs without ever having a taste of anything outside of that bubble. Then, when somebody who has worked for a living, and who talks like a large part of Manchester does, comes through despite the disadvantages she was born into, she is villified for talking and reacting differently to the political classes. If we want representative democracy, we should applaud different voices, not pearl clutch when, instead of 'being most disappointed in the actions of the honorable gentleman', they call someone they think is a scumbag, a scumbag.
Personally I don’t share all of her views, but I certainly admire how she has, for want of a better/nicer word,clawed her way up.Well done her.

This nation and our media has a trait of building celebrities, hero’s, sport stars etc etc. We/it heap/s expectation, over react at times as to how good people are/aren’t, pump them up higher and higher until they reach and sit upon a pedestal, then we throw rocks and insults at them, find every little scrap of error they may once have made, until we manage to knock them off and then delight in their fall.

FFS, no wonder we have a lack of decent candidates for jobs such as MPs and PMs. Perhaps we ultimately get what we deserve?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'll be surprised if she is still in place by Friday and I think I read on here she needs to last to mid Jan not to be the shortest ever serving PM.

And the economy is still heading down the shitter, same as for the last 3 years. Liz simply turned the turbo charger on, Hunt turned it off again, but it's still going downhill fast, just not quite as fast as last week :wink:
There has been a suggestion that she needs to do 2 months as PM to qualify for the 110K per year for life.

That may be a motivating factor in delaying resignation.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I read somewhere that she h

There has been a suggestion that she needs to do 2 months as PM to qualify for the 110K per year for life.

That may be a motivating factor in delaying resignation.
Yes, does anyone know for sure, what is the qualifying term? If it's 2 months of crap, then it's a farce. Should be a minimum of a full 4 years, imho.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
There are many MPs from modest backgrounds conducting themselves in a manner that fits their role and never feel the need to descend to cheap insults. Such positions should demand decorum in office, rather than resort to unprofessional outbursts.
While I agree that most of us find shouty people quite tiring to be around, I have to say that our recently departed Prime Minister was very much a persistent and unapologetic repeat offender when it came to unprofessional outbursts, and I’m wondering if I trawled your post history whether I’d see similar levels of condemnation for his frequent lapses from the high standards you might expect from the highest office in the land?

I’ve noted in other corners of the internet that Labour women seem to be most frequently complained about by gentlemen of a certain age and outlook, and I can’t help but wonder if there isn’t a subconscious hint of misogyny or “women, know your place” about the manner in which they’re attacked when they display above average levels of animation on a subject.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Even Corbyn was around -55.

Truss has blown him out of the water in the unpopularity race.
Corbyn and Boris both bottomed out in the 50's. Truss is by a very clear margin the least popular PM / LOTO on record.

Bit of Stockholm syndrome going on there with the Truss voters?

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
From LBCs political editors twitter feed.

Theo Usherwood

@theousherwood
·
1h

Tory MP: “You know who they’re starting to talk about now?”
Me: “Who?”
Tory MP: “Theresa May.”
Me: “You’re taking the p@“*?”
Tory MP: “No. She’s competent. She’s boring. She’ll calm things down.”

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There are many MPs from modest backgrounds conducting themselves in a manner that fits their role and never feel the need to descend to cheap insults. Such positions should demand decorum in office, rather than resort to unprofessional outbursts.
Johnson using the colourful language he learned during his upper class childhood to insult and ridicule his opponents is exactly the same as Rayner using no-nonsense working class vernacular to dig at hers. He could get away with it more because, by the time you'd got out the 1860's copy of Roget's Thesaurus, Latin dictionary and Suetonius paperback to work out what he'd actually said, he'd have been off. Just because it sounded posh, doesn't mean that it was any more professional or decorous. It just sounded it because he had a more privileged upbringing.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I’ve noted in other corners of the internet that Labour women seem to be most frequently complained about by gentlemen of a certain age and outlook, and I can’t help but wonder if there isn’t a subconscious hint of misogyny or “women, know your place” about the manner in which they’re attacked when they display above average levels of animation on a subject.
Are you suggesting that I fit into that category?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Are you suggesting that I fit into that category?

I have no idea, only you know what goes on in your head. I’m afraid (what with not being a qualified analyst and not getting paid for the job) I’m not interested enough to spend the day trawling through your post history.

We’re all products of our time though, and certainly some of us have been brought up to believe that ‘ladylike’ behaviour meant that there were styles of communication that weren’t “becoming” or “appropriate” for “the fairer sex”.

It takes real effort to dislodge very well established patterns of thought.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not accusing anybody on here, but I don't like the media attitude to Angela Rayner. She is someone who left school at 16, pregnant and without qualifications. Her mother couldn't read. She hasn't had the educational advantages that most in parliament have, but this doesn't make her stupid, just less refined in her grammar etc. We all spend a lot of time complaining that we are run by a political class of people who proceed from PPE at Oxford, to being SPADs, to being candidates, to being MPs without ever having a taste of anything outside of that bubble. Then, when somebody who has worked for a living, and who talks like a large part of Manchester does, comes through despite the disadvantages she was born into, she is villified for talking and reacting differently to the political classes. If we want representative democracy, we should applaud different voices, not pearl clutch when, instead of 'being most disappointed in the actions of the honorable gentleman', they call someone they think is a scumbag, a scumbag.
Well, I'm glad this post has received so many 'likes' (the new 'thumbs-ups') but, while you're not directly accusing anyone on here, you are indirectly as there were several posts on this thread dismissing Rayner. I think that says more about the posters than the topic/subject they dismiss.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was astonished by Starmer's opening remarks at the dispatch box yesterday when (in the then absence of the Trussterfuck) he said "the lady's not for turning...." then paused, wearing a smirk. And I waited for him to finish the sentence with "UP". But nope. He just left it hanging.

I mean really, who writes his scripts ? Talk about missing an open goal.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I was astonished by Starmer's opening remarks at the dispatch box yesterday when (in the then absence of the Trussterfuck) he said "the lady's not for turning...." then paused, wearing a smirk. And I waited for him to finish the sentence with "UP". But nope. He just left it hanging.

I mean really, who writes his scripts ? Talk about missing an open goal.
Good post apart from the fact that he DID say ''UP''

:dunce:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good post apart from the fact that he DID say ''UP''

:dunce:
They must have edited that bit from the news report when I watched it last night then - I was literally sat there waiting for him to say it, but then they cut to someone else in the House before he did. It seemed very weird to place the ball on the spot like that, then walk away from it.

Hey ho. I'm glad he finished the gag.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Majority of Tory party members want Liz Truss to resign now - as Boris Johnson tops list to replace PM

The majority of Conservative Party members want Liz Truss to resign now - just six weeks after voting her in - and former PM Boris Johnson topped the list, among those asked, on who would be best to replace her, a new poll has found.

The poll found 55% of members think she should resign now, while 38% believe she should remain. And a majority (63%) think former PM Boris Johnson would be a good replacement, with 32% putting him as their top candidate, followed by Mr Sunak at 23%.

https://news.sky.com/story/majority...nd-want-boris-johnson-to-replace-her-12723609

Absolutely f***ing speechless :lolol:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Majority of Tory party members want Liz Truss to resign now - as Boris Johnson tops list to replace PM

The majority of Conservative Party members want Liz Truss to resign now - just six weeks after voting her in - and former PM Boris Johnson topped the list, among those asked, on who would be best to replace her, a new poll has found.

The poll found 55% of members think she should resign now, while 38% believe she should remain. And a majority (63%) think former PM Boris Johnson would be a good replacement, with 32% putting him as their top candidate, followed by Mr Sunak at 23%.

https://news.sky.com/story/majority...nd-want-boris-johnson-to-replace-her-12723609

have you worked out who the mastermind is yet?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

Insane. :ROFLMAO:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here