Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
If anyone prises her out, it will be the members of the 1922 Committee, who will not only be witnessing first hand, but also receiving reports of her stultifying incompetence on a daily basis.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If anyone prises her out, it will be the members of the 1922 Committee, who will not only be witnessing first hand, but also receiving reports of her stultifying incompetence on a daily basis.
My worry would be another 2 month selection process if they did oust her. Surely you can only do it so many times before a General Election becomes necessary?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
My worry would be another 2 month selection process if they did oust her. Surely you can only do it so many times before a General Election becomes necessary?
I actually think a 2 month selection process where the government essentially does nothing might actually stabilise the market

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's almost as if any serious/experienced politician has been sidelined/kicked out the Conservative party over the last few years, and we've been left with the dregs, a bunch of incompetent narcissists who have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

I wonder what could have caused it, because I can't believe people thought they were voting for that ???

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's almost as if any serious/experienced politician has been sidelined/kicked out the Conservative party over the last few years, and we've been left with the dregs, a bunch of incompetent narcissists who have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

I wonder what could have caused it, because I can't believe people thought they were voting for that ???
Johnson cleared out the moderates and this precipitated an infiltration of the membership to include all kinds of odd balls, only that could deliver Truss someone that was so obviously unsuitable to any sane person

The current cabinet is the dregs of the dregs.

Did anyone hear James Cleverly on the Today programme this morning. Like Mogg yesterday someone so completely disconnnected from reality.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
FE843B9A-6AD0-4151-ACE5-1EAB48A1DC5B.jpeg

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Johnson cleared out the moderates and this precipitated an infiltration of the membership to include all kinds of odd balls, only that could deliver Truss someone that was so obviously unsuitable to any sane person

The current cabinet is the dregs of the dregs.

Did anyone hear James Cleverly on the Today programme this morning. Like Mogg yesterday someone so completely disconnnected from reality.
but the current Tory government aren't going to return to the moderate centre ground pre June 2016, where there are many real conservatives, good politicians, they have to keep scraping the barrel and finding another idiot who pretends Brexit is a good idea. So it would be someone even more destuctive or moronic than Truss like Rees-mogg or Mark Francois

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Anyone know what's happened this morning? GBP has spiked sharply upwards (up roughly $0.7 in a very short time frame), and 10yr gilt yields have fallen back below 4.3% around the same time in a sharp dip.

Not seeing any headlines, so I'm assuming BoE might have triggered it with a big intervention this morning?

Edit: ahh, now seeing something else - from the Guardian: "ConservativeHome editor and former Tory MP, Paul Goodman, has said some Conservative backbenchers are considering pushing for Rishi Sunak and Penny Mordaunt to replace Liz Truss as prime minister."

I can see how growing rumours of a revolt in Tory ranks to remove Truss might cause the markets to react favourably.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was mentioned on the radio this morning that she is the first new leader to buck the 'new leader bounce' trend. A lifelong tory caller to Nicky Campbell commented that it is impossible and absurd that she can claim she will not be making any cuts and yet reducing taxes, and that the leadership has been hijacked by a right wing cult. Another caller, an ex- prison officer, commented that when 'call me Dave' brought in austerity, the prison cuts destroyed irreparably the service, and now the prisons are run by the inmates, with teenage prison officers clueless; this madness is now leaching into every sector of society. And on and on it goes. Absolutely depressing shambles. I am not sure the party could survive the 1922 committee forcing another leadership election so this malaise will likely bleed the lifeblood out of the nation for another couple of years.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It was mentioned on the radio this morning that she is the first new leader to buck the 'new leader bounce' trend. A lifelong tory caller to Nicky Campbell commented that it is impossible and absurd that she can claim she will not be making any cuts and yet reducing taxes, and that the leadership has been hijacked by a right wing cult. Another caller, an ex- prison officer, commented that when 'call me Dave' brought in austerity, the prison cuts destroyed irreparably the service, and now the prisons are run by the inmates, with teenage prison officers clueless; this madness is now leaching into every sector of society. And on and on it goes. Absolutely depressing shambles. I am not sure the party could survive the 1922 committee forcing another leadership election so this malaise will likely bleed the lifeblood out of the nation for another couple of years.
Rumours on the block is they might try and Engineer Sunak and Mordaunt into the fold, though quite how they would do it I don't know. Whilst the UK is not global super power, a UK in chaos is not good news for the west at large.

If we really no fall over big time, there is a risk of contagion. Remember Thailand in 1997, Greece in 2008...

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Jacob Rees Mogg's Newspeak logic in his round of interviews earlier this week accused the BBC of going outside of charter guidelines by reporting opinion rather than facts, by linking the collapse in the markets and mortgage rises with the obvious cause of them, Kwarteng's mini-budget. I've been trying to think what his stance reminded me of and its come to me this morning. Blackadder II - Tom Baker's Captain Rum when Edmund suggests that it's common maritime practice to have a crew responds: "Opinion is divided on the subject"

"Oh really?" says Lord B

"Yahs. All the other Captains say it is. I say it isn't".

The only way to respond to Mogg is the way Blackadder does:

"Oh God; Mad as a brush."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here