Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Yes, useless, but not the worst - that distinction still remains with Johnson.

Johnson got Furlough right, Spawned some Covid decisions correctly and we have to acknowledge the vaccine rollout and purchasing thereof given we didn't go into the EU scheme even though we could have done (Which Kier was all for). He was also greenish.

Truss has actively made things worse. We'd be better off under the Johnson government that literally did nothing for months. She is currently the worst we've ever had and nothing i've seen suggests that will improve. She'd set the poor on fire if it encouraged "Growth"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Okay I'll stick my head above the parapet! Something had to be done differently. We are going down a very slippery path where it is clear that the standard ways of dealing with things is not working, for anyone - most countries are suffering in exactly the same way we are. The perceived wisdom of the tried and tested solutions are not working, because funnily enough we haven't had a situation like this before. Global Pandemic, followed by war in Europe, together with fuel crisis. Three massive events all coming at the same time. Who is to say that the old economic thinking still works? I admire the fact they are trying something different and believe she needs time for this to play out. It may be a fail, but given the hand she was dealt, at least she is trying to find a new path, rather than just the same old tired economic plans. The institutions don't like it because it's different. That doesn't mean to say it's wrong. We won't know that for some time.

And it is no surprise to me she is floundering in these interviews. She has an awful lot to deal with at the moment. Would be very difficult for any one person to have all the answers right now. Look at Biden for goodness sakes, all over the place.
Yes, she's doing her best, just like Johnson did his " Best " ...sadly we need exceptional leadership at a time of crisis, Liz Truss certainly is not up to the job

Just go back to the hustings when Rishi Sunak predicted the result of trying to borrow a way out of inflation ....and weep.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Right, our economy is in tatters and you're taking potshots at Biden in what can only be described as an utterly feeble attempt at deflection.

Mods? Can we get a mod in here?

Oh.
Imagine a 79 year old Liz Truss !

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Something tells me Truss won't last long...

[tweet]1575522731101245440[/tweet]

And while that's the most extreme, it's not the only one:

[tweet]1575522804644007941[/tweet]

[tweet]1575519434193649667[/tweet]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yeah but, is Keir really credible though?

[tweet]1575524567384297472[/tweet]

Oh, seems he is.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, useless, but not the worst - that distinction still remains with Johnson.

Give her time....or perhaps, no, let's not give her time :facepalm:

For me the most useless was 'Call me' Dave. His daft 50% threshold referendum to remain in the EU, and inept campaigning, opened the trap door through which we have subsequently tumbled. Moving forward, if Johnson hadn't been such a lazy bugger, such a liar and such a blagger, he'd still be PM. By allowing the bogarting of the vaccines, going along with furlough (neither of which were his ideas) he failed to do the wrong thing, rather than actively doing the right thing. Johnson largely left the big ideas (and the details) to others (who largely prevented anything too mad, apart from Brexit, but that cat was long out of the bag before he took over as Supreme Dalek, albeit he probably helped swing the original vote with his sunny uplands bollocks).

Truss is potentially worse because unlike Johnson she is not populist (meaning she is happy to do unpopular things for reasons of her own), thinks she knows best, and appears to have no idea about risk assessment and, presently, no political nous. Thatcher had the good sense to not take on the miners till she had stockpiled enough coal to keep the lights on during a strike. Thick Lizzy would have gone balls deep on day 1.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Apples and oranges and lemons, but you're right people might be forced to take second jobs again, that's progress I guess.

Second jobs you say ?
When things got ‘difficult’ during the 70s through to the 2000s when I had mortgages and interest rates would rise and rise again I would take on extra jobs, ended up early morning cleaning at supermarkets then evening cleaning jobs at Beechams plant in Worthing, working behind a bar at different pubs three or more sessions a week, ended up at Seeboard (EDF) offices cleaning bogs and offices etc morning and evening working my day job from 8 till 5 then two nights a week running a pub plus Sunday lunch session and full time pub running using my holiday entitlement while the landlords had their holidays, missed out a lot on my children growing up and luckily had a wife who understood the pressures we were under and helped along the way. Now here we are, retired, seeing our fixed income burning away with inflation which is decimating any savings I’ve accrued during my lifetime, seeing the private pension I was lucky enough to have been enrolled in worth less and less with each rise in inflation but still being subject to income tax payments to the tune of £40 a week, still the home is paid for and I count myself as one of the lucky ones, the ones often described as a baby boomer !

Ps when rates went up during the life time of any mortgage I had I’d pay the increased rate but when any rate decrease happened I’d stay paying at the increased rate, this knocks years off the life of a mortgage and ultimately saves thousands £

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Once it reaches $1.13 the UK economy is saved for eternity. Hope you have your champage bottle ready.

The dollar thing is a bit of a red herring isn't it?

It's the cost of borrowing we need to be concerned about. Anything the gov wants to do will cost a fortune because the markets don't have as much confidence in us. Would you? What a total cock up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Disagree. There's no way they were expecting this to pan out the way it has. They're in the Conservative Party too, the longest-lasting -- and along with the GOP -- most effective, and most powerful electoral force across the globe.
They're ideologues. They actually believe this. They aren't trying to scorch our earth -- even if that is the outcome. They think it will lead to sunny uplands.
It'll be interesting to see what those in the party do, here's one response from one former MP:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/29/tory-mp-truss-kwarteng-labour

Agree.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
James O’Brien claimed LBC that one of her senior Communications staff at Number 10 was previously head of the Prince Andrew PR team at the time of the Newsnight debacle.

You couldn’t make it up…….

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The dollar thing is a bit of a red herring isn't it?

It's the cost of borrowing we need to be concerned about. Anything the gov wants to do will cost a fortune because the markets don't have as much confidence in us. Would you? What a total cock up.

Unexpected talk, such as the mini budget, causes a shock. The Solid at the back-minded investors are going say "uh noooooo", then the shock blows over and realise that hey, at this exact time there is really no reason why the pound should be worth less than before. The real test comes when it is actually time for these measures - that are no better than a week ago - are actually put into action. The mixture of austerity, inflation, crazy energy costs, possible supply issues (if China doesnt somehow go through a covid-free winter), tax cuts (mainly for those who dont need it) and possibly higher interest rates still makes a very exciting mix which is more likely than not to end up being a disaster.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Johnson got Furlough right, Spawned some Covid decisions correctly and we have to acknowledge the vaccine rollout and purchasing thereof given we didn't go into the EU scheme even though we could have done (Which Kier was all for). He was also greenish.

Truss has actively made things worse. We'd be better off under the Johnson government that literally did nothing for months. She is currently the worst we've ever had and nothing i've seen suggests that will improve. She'd set the poor on fire if it encouraged "Growth"

I think you’ll find that it was despite Johnson rather than because of Johnson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Okay I'll stick my head above the parapet! Something had to be done differently. We are going down a very slippery path where it is clear that the standard ways of dealing with things is not working, for anyone - most countries are suffering in exactly the same way we are. The perceived wisdom of the tried and tested solutions are not working, because funnily enough we haven't had a situation like this before. Global Pandemic, followed by war in Europe, together with fuel crisis. Three massive events all coming at the same time. Who is to say that the old economic thinking still works? I admire the fact they are trying something different and believe she needs time for this to play out. It may be a fail, but given the hand she was dealt, at least she is trying to find a new path, rather than just the same old tired economic plans. The institutions don't like it because it's different. That doesn't mean to say it's wrong. We won't know that for some time.

And it is no surprise to me she is floundering in these interviews. She has an awful lot to deal with at the moment. Would be very difficult for any one person to have all the answers right now. Look at Biden for goodness sakes, all over the place.

Nah, not having that (unfortunately)
These policies are tried and failed. They only help the rich get richer, which she is well aware of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here