Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Living in a flat

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
In the opening post some of the 1930s blocks in Hove are mentioned including Courtenay Gate, have you worked in any of these?
Did a few walk in showers and retiling on the 7th floor in Harewood Court Hove.
The SS officer receptionist said we weren't allowed to use the lift to take up our materials.
Needless to say we got over that by going really early before she got there.
We got the 6ft shower trays up one by one by shoving them in at an angle and pressing the button for the top floor.
@Wrong Direction dragged them out and then sent the lift down to me.
Very nice place I recall.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Did a few walk in showers and retiling on the 7th floor in Harewood Court Hove.
The SS officer receptionist said we weren't allowed to use the lift to take up our materials.
Needless to say we got over that by going really early before she got there.
We got the 6ft shower trays up one by one by shoving them in at an angle and pressing the button for the top floor.
@Wrong Direction dragged them out and then sent the lift down to me.
Very nice place I recall.
I wouldn’t want to carry shower trays up that many stairs, good move getting there early.
I worked for someone in the early to mid 90s who got regular work in the old blocks in central Hove. Many had tank rooms on roofs supplying cold water to bathrooms. Galvanised pipes with valves that didn’t work and taps that were put on baths by the worlds strongest man :down:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I wouldn’t want to carry shower trays up that many stairs, good move getting there early.
I worked for someone in the early to mid 90s who got regular work in the old blocks in central Hove. Many had tank rooms on roofs supplying cold water to bathrooms. Galvanised pipes with valves that didn’t work and taps that were put on baths by the worlds strongest man :down:
Did I ever tell you about the dead pigeons we found floating in the large galvanised tank in the roof of an old people home?
They had blocked up taps caused by bones and feathers.
Forgotten what this thread was about now lol

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Did I ever tell you about the dead pigeons we found floating in the large galvanised tank in the roof of an old people home?
They had blocked up taps caused by bones and feathers.
Forgotten what this thread was about now lol
😳😧😦 Not nice.

I often wonder if some of those old blocks in Hove still have ancient pipe work. Plenty of plumbers / builders must have come unstuck taking on jobs in those buildings with communal heating, hot and cold services.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Pretty sure you can ´soundproof' the wall by adding the proofer and then plasterboard over that. You'll lose about 4 inches of room but it won't be that noticeable. I don't know exactly how soundproof it'll be but I'm sure you can dO YouR oWn ReSeArcH as they say online.

Goodluck!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Sorry, but there's a world of difference between vulnerable people being put into inadequate housing and having to put up with dealers, late night noise etc or kids dying of mould and the OP buying a three bed, two bath place for himself with his enormous wealth that he constantly bangs on about and not doing his research.
Spot on. If you can afford to buy a big flat in Hove, you can also afford to buy a detached house somewhere quiet with a less ridiculous housing market. A flat in the middle of a busy city is always going to be surrounded by others and some level of noise. If you're privileged enough to be able to buy, at least don't whine that you didn't do enough research before moving.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I spent a lot of my life living in Manhattan , I’m used to having a big choice of restaurants, shops, coffee shops etc on my doorstop . Living in the suburbs with few facilities albeit in a good sized house would make me feel quite depressed . I don’t want to have to drive to get to shops , restaurants, dentist , doctors etc .

I want to see plenty of life but I also want a good nights sleep , is that too much to ask .

Im not going to apologise that I’m fortunate to live in Hove . Why should I have to do that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I spent a lot of my life living in Manhattan , I’m used to having a big choice of restaurants, shops, coffee shops etc on my doorstop . Living in the suburbs with few facilities albeit in a good sized house would make me feel quite depressed . I don’t want to have to drive to get to shops , restaurants, dentist , doctors etc .

I want to see plenty of life but I also want a good nights sleep , is that too much to ask .

Im not going to apologise that I’m fortunate to live in Hove . Why should I have to do that.
Plenty of life is usually noisy and not conducive to a good night's sleep.

Have you tried white noise or sleep sound aps. Personally I listen to podcasts to usually any noise is drowned out.

Too much to ask? No not really but it does sound like you've got some choices to make. Luckily for you it sounds like you are in a sound position to make them.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007

Obvious anyway, but after this comment quite clearly a wind up account.

But, in his defence, just like Swansman, he has the majority of this forum on strings.

They’re good at what they do.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

You have no need to apologise whatsoever, all my young years through to the point where I was old enough to leave school. get a job and could afford to rent a very dodgy bedsit, were spent in a council 'assessment area' which was basically loads of blocks of flats that had no noise insulation, (I'm sure just like yours), where if your didn't have your windows smashed, your things nicked and were prepared to stand up and fight to stop people you didn't want coming in, you could sometimes get a decent nights sleep, so I feel your desperation completely.

Obviously, when I got the bedsit, it was as noisy as f*** but avoiding physical confrontation on a daily basis is conducive, I found, to a good nights sleep (y)

Last edited:

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

With a bit of luck, your noise "problems" will hopefully become unbearable and you will struggle to get any sleep night after night (like those of us with genuine problems) and then when you do decide to sell, you struggle to do that aswell 👍

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Obvious anyway, but after this comment quite clearly a wind up account.

But, in his defence, just like Swansman, he has the majority of this forum on strings.

They’re good at what they do.
You are quite wrong about @Live by the sea and @Swansman :shrug:

Oh, and f*** the Spurs :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Time to move on from 1978, sweetheart.

Goal difference is there for a reason.
Thank goodness you didn't call me 'sweet cheeks', or I would have had to scream for a policeman :drool:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
With a bit of luck, your noise "problems" will hopefully become unbearable and you will struggle to get any sleep night after night (like those of us with genuine problems) and then when you do decide to sell, you struggle to do that aswell 👍
Charming

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If you ever lived in Manhatten, Brighton would be like a library

proper apartment blocks have service lifts.

other than that, seems to me most of us should be looking at bungalows 😂

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
97C246BB-F237-4932-A29C-0D08A5FD9F8E.jpeg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sleep is overrated.

I sleep like Adolf Hitler, like five hours a night. Sometimes less.

Some people sleep like ten hours. They are Double Adolf Hitler. Imagine that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here