Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Living in a flat

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Slightly OT but I got asked to sand and finish the floorboards of the ground floor of a maisonette in park crescent many years back. I pointed out that this was both unwise and unfair on the basement resident. They didn't care so I walked out. Twats. They were going to rent it too
The irony is, which I suspect their future tenants found out, carpets and underlay on the floors in the top flat, insulate both properties against noise from each other!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I have not lived in a flat but spent many years in Victorian terraces. If you are unlucky, neighbour noice is a fact of life . In this one I used to hear kids screaming, until they grew up a bit. There is a myth that old houses were solidly built.... wrong !
We did find a firm that installed sound insulation on the front living room wall , that helped but it is not perfect. I don’t remember who they were now but I guess such people can be found .
I think a lot of it depends on who lives next door, some people just are noisy without deliberately trying to be .
I am sorry that I cannot be more helpful... If you solve the problem please let me know......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m outta here
👍
:lolol:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
There's shall we say, a fairly large girl living in the flat below, she has respiratory issues and coughs continously throughout the day/night. It doesn't help that her bed is directly below mine, 5am wake up call this morning. The most annoying thing is though, after she's stopped coughing, she instantly falls asleep and then the snoring vibrates up through the floor, through my bed and into my bones! 🤬
This is a sad post
F6BDA442-8E00-406F-855D-D002629E9AD8.jpeg

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Clearly you’ve never tried to sell a property quickly because of noise and anti-social behaviour - my last one was on the market for nearly 12 months and it cost me nearly £10,000 just in surveys, solicitors and agent fees plus hotel bills while looking for (house not flat ) property in a cheaper part of the country - it is NOT that easy - even if renting out the only property you are living in is an option, it still comes with costs (especially if upgrades are legally required) and risks of renters defaulting on the rent.

And you were missing my point that regardless of circumstances- people respond to noise intrusion in different ways and have different levels of tolerance but when it’s at the stage for anybody where it’s impacting severely on the peaceful enjoyment of their home and causing chronic sleep disturbances the mental impact of that can not be quantified by wealth or fortune. I won’t bang on with personal details but suffice to say ‘I have been there’ and it rendered me homeless for a while in one situation and trapped for years in another property with another situation.

ps - people suggesting someone of being a previous member of a forum when you don’t like what they say - what is that even the f*** about - very weird ? 🤷‍♂️

I think you've taken the OP's issues and turned them into the big issues you seem to have previously had. His won't be the same.

You just have to look at the OP's opening lines. "I got offered a good price & I felt it was sensible to bank a decent amount of money" great location... Blah, blah, blah- I've got lots of money, now feel sorry for my minor problem.

He can use his vast wealth to buy some egg boxes and line his flat. Or live in one of his other rooms.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I think you've taken the OP's issues and turned them into the big issues you seem to have previously had. His won't be the same.

You just have to look at the OP's opening lines. "I got offered a good price & I felt it was sensible to bank a decent amount of money" great location... Blah, blah, blah- I've got lots of money, now feel sorry for my minor problem.

He can use his vast wealth to buy some egg boxes and line his flat. Or live in one of his other rooms.
:lolol:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I agree the OPs issues are not the same - the first thing I said on this thread was

Unless they are making an excessive and unreasonable noise, (in which case contact Environmental Services at the Council) there is not a lot you can do other than make sure you have underlay under thick carpeting, put up notices asking people not to slam doors in communal areas and wear headphones (earplugs) even when watching your own TV so your not so bothered by ambient sound.

However, I fully agreed with this:
re. Constant neighbour noise causing sleeplessness and anxiety can be a slow drip drip torture. Yes, there other big issues in life and you are lucky to own a 3 bed flat etc etc.

However, I did not (do not) agree with the sentiment that somehow because ANYONE that has a 3 bed, 2 bath place and ‘apparently’ ‘enormous wealth’ (which I seriously doubt otherwise they’d be living in a detached mansion in the countryside) that a/ he/she somehow deserves to be impacted by noise intrusion because they/ ‘he didn’t do … research’ (clearly enough to consider moving) and that it’s necessarily easy to move if you own a property (and even have money in the bank ). Surveys don’t measure noise levels, the most is you would be advised that noise could be an issue … there’s no way they can predict how much of an issue or who will be moving in at later dates/having screaming kids etc
Sorry, but there's a world of difference between vulnerable people being put into inadequate housing and having to put up with dealers, late night noise etc or kids dying of mould and the OP buying a three bed, two bath place for himself with his enormous wealth that he constantly bangs on about and not doing his research.
I had no agenda on this thread other than offering the OP some constructive advice based on a professional background having worked for many years in supported housing management, substance abuse and homelessness charities - and like a lot of other posters, experience of what its like, to feel you have to sell your property because of noise intrusion etc.

Of course our personal experience is relevant- its what gives us empathy for other people

The only point that I wanted to stress was that if anyone regardless of wealth and property status, is being impacted by constant noise intrusion or anti-social behaviour, the effects can be devastating on mental well being.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bod

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Blimey, if my biggest problem was flat noise in a flat I owned in Central Hove - I'd be a very happy man.

Suck it up, or sell it. Boo hoo.

Embarrassing thread.
Not for the OP because he wanted to troll about his wealth rather than receive actual help

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Not for the OP because he wanted to troll about his wealth rather than receive actual help

People like this piss me off. They don't know what a cost of living crisis is. They won't notice energy bills rising, they won't struggle getting their kids Xmas presents.

To come on here, or anywhere else for that matter, flaunting this a "problem" is a disgrace. OP should feel embarrassed and ashamed.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
500 posts in under a week. I'd hate to think what sort of life you had before you discovered NSC :lolol:
I’ve only seen acceleration like it from Swansman and Vaginabond. I might have the odd debate with Swanny but there’s a fair quality ratio especially when it comes to his knowledge of world football.

Vagabond was an idiot though

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I’ve only seen acceleration like it from Swansman and Vaginabond. I might have the odd debate with Swanny but there’s a fair quality ratio especially when it comes to his knowledge of world football.

Vagabond was an idiot though
And now your trolling me - impressive behaviour from a Moderator 👏

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here