Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Living in a flat

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Sorry, but there's a world of difference between vulnerable people being put into inadequate housing and having to put up with dealers, late night noise etc or kids dying of mould
No there is not, you couldn’t be less informed - Certainly there is no difference when it comes to the psychological effects of sleep deprivation, putting up with violent or anti-social neighbours or fear of retaliation or compounding the problem if you complain. Or incidentally, when being ‘trapped’ in a property you own because it’s much more expensive and complicated to sell up and move than to skip to the next rented property on the List.

Vulnerable people in supported housing have much more recourse than private tenants/owner-occupied, through their housing association or the Council and invariably have social workers etc and access to crisis funding and emergency accommodation - many vulnerable people will also be high priority on the housing list so can get relocated at the expense of the council/benefits if the property is deemed unsuitable for whatever reason. These services fall down when people don’t know how to access the support or their own lives are too chaotic to engage with the help that is being offered and yes, there are room for improvements in what and how quickly help can be given.

However

People in privately owned or rented accommodation can still end up in inadequate accommodation- have you really done any research yourself into the appalling conditions some people live in that are NOT on benefits but who own a property they cant afford to renovate (no grants there sunshine), or who can’t afford the cost of moving or have the neighbours from Hell?

And what on earth makes you think all vulnerable people are in supported housing or even have any other support? - Or are even on benefits? FYI there are many people with severe anxiety, mental health problems, long term chronic health that struggle through and are paying exorbitant rents in City locations that also have to put up with drug dealers, late night noise and sub-standard accommodation/housing and, more pertinently, for whom noise and anti-social behaviour in or near their living environment can have a serious detrimental impact on their mental well-being.

I worked in supported housing and lived in rented/purchased accommodation in the private housing sector for over 30 years in Brighton & Hove and in some of the most high crime areas in the City so I think I know what I am talking about.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I loathed living in a flat for that very reason. I'd never do it again, but if I had to .... top floor and something built in the last 20 years.

Because of the horrible experience, I took a passing interest at the time in acoustic reg's. Scotland brought in strict reg's with testing on new builds in about 1990, the rest of the UK many years later.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
80's stuff is generally carboard crap. I remember a mate had room in a house on Shoreham beach, you may as well all have been in the same room, you could hear everything from every room on every floor.

proper brick built is the only way, or purpose built flats, where these things are considered and construction methods are decent.

I don't think I'll eer go back to a flat, it was just a stepping stone in my yoof. . . I can't be alone as the prive of small cottages round here is terrifying.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sorry, but there's a world of difference between vulnerable people being put into inadequate housing and having to put up with dealers, late night noise etc or kids dying of mould and the OP buying a three bed, two bath place for himself with his enormous wealth that he constantly bangs on about and not doing his research.
You don't know until you live there, moving into a flat for the first time, unaware of the noise at all hours that often comes with it.

It really does affect wellbeing and other health, whatever your financial status.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So, the best flats are really old or very new?
Not old. The person making tons of noise in a 180 year old flat in Hove, still affected his direct neighbours. Walls may be thick but they still transmit impact sound e.g. TV/music noise. Whereas their floors offer next to no protection from noise.

@Bold Seagull would have expert knowledge on the subject.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Thanks Luge . Guinness boy being his usual unhelpful self !
I have to admit I laughed at Guinness Boy’s post, you often post snooty comments on this forum especially having a dig at areas like Newhaven etc and banging on about how special Hove is.
You have also been spotted in The Argus comments…..I’ve seen them.

Obviously I don’t wish sleepless nights on anyone, and my best advice is to move……to Newhaven :smile: you could live in a nice 5 bedroom detached house and still have money in the bank.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I've been lucky with the couple of flats I've lived in regarding noise, when it comes down to affecting your sleep a lot of that can be in your mind? I found it with working night shifts, you get noises your not used too and after so long you go to bed wound up expecting not to sleep. You need to find a way of blocking the noises from your mind so you can relax enough to sleep.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No there is not, you couldn’t be less informed - Certainly there is no difference when it comes to the psychological effects of sleep deprivation, putting up with violent or anti-social neighbours or fear of retaliation or compounding the problem if you complain. Or incidentally, when being ‘trapped’ in a property you own because it’s much more expensive and complicated to sell up and move than to skip to the next rented property on the List.

Vulnerable people in supported housing have much more recourse than private tenants/owner-occupied, through their housing association or the Council and invariably have social workers etc and access to crisis funding and emergency accommodation - many vulnerable people will also be high priority on the housing list so can get relocated at the expense of the council/benefits if the property is deemed unsuitable for whatever reason. These services fall down when people don’t know how to access the support or their own lives are too chaotic to engage with the help that is being offered and yes, there are room for improvements in what and how quickly help can be given.

However

People in privately owned or rented accommodation can still end up in inadequate accommodation- have you really done any research yourself into the appalling conditions some people live in that are NOT on benefits but who own a property they cant afford to renovate (no grants there sunshine), or who can’t afford the cost of moving or have the neighbours from Hell?

And what on earth makes you think all vulnerable people are in supported housing or even have any other support? - Or are even on benefits? FYI there are many people with severe anxiety, mental health problems, long term chronic health that struggle through and are paying exorbitant rents in City locations that also have to put up with drug dealers, late night noise and sub-standard accommodation/housing and, more pertinently, for whom noise and anti-social behaviour in or near their living environment can have a serious detrimental impact on their mental well-being.

I worked in supported housing and lived in rented/purchased accommodation in the private housing sector for over 30 years in Brighton & Hove and in some of the most high crime areas in the City so I think I know what I am talking about.
You’ve missed the point spectacularly, but then I suppose you’re not familiar with the OP’s back catalogue

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We live in an Edwardian Terrace - with decent walls. We can never hear actual words from the neighbours - but always know when they are in because of running up the stairs, jumping around (kids), and bassy films (older neighbours - partly deaf). Plus the flushing / water noises. Not avoidable really - but just 'living noise' really. I once stayed in a flat where you heard every footstep from above - and it would have driven me mad had I lived there.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
You’ve missed the point spectacularly, but then I suppose you’re not familiar with the OP’s back catalogue
That’s laughable, ‘missed the point’? I’m not really interested in any back catalogue tbh - I was addressing the exact issues raised in the OP and sticking to the points raised - if you want to turn the thread into some other unresolved shit going in between the OP and yourself/others that’s your choice but it’s not the point of the thread and please don't make sweeping assumptions about things you clearly have no experience of. It makes NO difference who you are or where you live, whether you own or rent, wether you are on benefits, have 3 bedrooms or otherwise, if your home life and sleep is being severely disrupted by noise, drugs or anti-social behaviour, it can be utterly devastating and cause severe depression even suicide.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’m not snooty , everyone has a different opinion . Maybe mine are sometimes different to yours . I have never posted in the Argus .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I’m not snooty , everyone has a different opinion . Maybe mine are sometimes different to yours . I have never posted in the Argus .
You may not realise you are being snooty, it could be because you are American but you definitely come across as looking down your nose at people and areas of Sussex.
Anyone can look at your posting history, this isn’t me being nasty I’m just telling it how I see it.

Bullshite ref The Argus comments section….I have seen comments on news stories about property and the style is exactly the same as your posting style on here. I honestly believe it’s you.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’m sorry if I have come across as snooty that’s not my intention. I have had a fairly privileged upbringing so maybe that has come across in the wrong way . I have never posted in the Argus however . I have in the NY Times .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have to admit I laughed at Guinness Boy’s post, you often post snooty comments on this forum especially having a dig at areas like Newhaven etc and banging on about how special Hove is.
You have also been spotted in The Argus comments…..I’ve seen them.

Obviously I don’t wish sleepless nights on anyone, and my best advice is to move……to Newhaven :smile: you could live in a nice 5 bedroom detached house and still have money in the bank.
Someone gets it :)

Let's face it, it's not long ago that the OP was looking down his nose at people who are so poor they have to steal food and how it was ruining central Hove. Now we're supposed to feel sorry because he's bought an enormous flat for cash and can hear a muffled telly?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Someone gets it :)

Let's face it, it's not long ago that the OP was looking down his nose at people who are so poor they have to steal food and how it was ruining central Hove. Now we're supposed to feel sorry because he's bought an enormous flat for cash and can hear a muffled telly?
Cant we just stick to the topic of this thread? For the benefit of those that have no prior experience of the OP‘s previous dealings with you and respecting those posters that are offering constructive input here? 🥱

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
You may not realise you are being snooty, it could be because you are American but you definitely come across as looking down your nose at people and areas of Sussex.
Anyone can look at your posting history, this isn’t me being nasty I’m just telling it how I see it.

Bullshite ref The Argus comments section….I have seen comments on news stories about property and the style is exactly the same as your posting style on here. I honestly believe it’s you.
Again, I can’t see any of that coming across in the OP’s posts on this thread.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks Luge . Guinness boy being his usual unhelpful self !
I can't function with neighbour noise. It may be possible to get some sound proofing put in. I have partially sound proofed upstairs (I live in a Victorian end terrace) with soundproofing plaster board under the finished plastering. Seems to help. I'm never disturbed by street noise. Worth checking. Google brings up many options. I am so sensitive to noise that the dawn chorus will wake me if I leave a window open. :cautious:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cant we just stick to the topic of this thread? For the benefit of those that have no prior experience of the OP‘s previous dealings with you and respecting those posters that are offering constructive input here? 🥱
And please keep the
“ women in high heels coming home at 2 in the morning and making a noise like a horse”, “violent f***ing” and “she was a screamer” stuff flowing. It all helps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here