Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion.... Interesting fact ?

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
1. Liverpool's 1st home defeat in cup competitions since 1974 (63 ties).
2. Liverpool's 1st home defeat in nearly a year, since 6th March 1982 when we won there 1-0 in the League, our only other away win in the period was at Newcastle.
3. First time we progressed to 6th round of the cup.
4. Biggest Albion following since we won promotion to Div. 1, approx 4,000 fans transported by 2 planes, 1 train, 33 coaches, etc.
I remember the multitude of cars with scarfs hanging out of windows on the way up and down that day. We also had the obligatory 'can we look after your car, only a couple of quid, we make sure its still there when you come back, nothing missing' from a couple of kids. Of course we paid up.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Additional trivia:

It was Phil Neal's birthday which is why they made him captain on the day - and then he missed that penalty!

.... and I was there!

The programme was full of how proud the club was of their travelling supporters - so one of them broke my mate's nose on the way out of the ground - Hi Jerry!
Those cheeky witty lovable scallies.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Lawrenson remembering Brighton had a football club?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
1. Liverpool's 1st home defeat in cup competitions since 1974 (63 ties).
2. Liverpool's 1st home defeat in nearly a year, since 6th March 1982 when we won there 1-0 in the League, our only other away win in the period was at Newcastle.
3. First time we progressed to 6th round of the cup.
4. Biggest Albion following since we won promotion to Div. 1, approx 4,000 fans transported by 2 planes, 1 train, 33 coaches, etc.

Good ones

Tenngull

Sep 15, 2003
Tennessee
Day before me and the missus set off to live in the US (for the first time). She said if we made it to the final I should fly back for it. I did, and had to change my return flight so I could go to the replay. Bad planning, I know, but maybe wish I hadn't!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It can't have been a cup game. Both sides are fielding their full strength first team.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
First game I went to that was sooooo full! Only game I felt I might be crushed to death but worth it.

When we jumped for the penalty we jumped as one....

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Winner.....

For the first time ever Anfield hosted a football match on a Sunday.

To up the ante, what was interesting about our home game in the FA Cup v Liverpool the following season (apart from the fact we won?)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
To up the ante, what was interesting about our home game in the FA Cup v Liverpool the following season (apart from the fact we won?)

My glasses fell off onto the north stand terracing when I was jumping about like a complete loon, celebrating one of the goals.

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
POTG and the Albion end sold out, so 4 of us went in the Kop, couldn't celebrate, remember a Liverpool fan behind us crying at the final whistle.

D

Deleted User X18H

Alf Grey referred another match on 21st May that year.

The Football Association Challenge Cup Final no less.

D

Deleted User X18H

It was live on ITV on Sunday 29th Jan 1984

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing

First live televised game from a Second Division club?

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Wasn't it the first ever FA Cup match played on a Sunday? Great day, one of the best Albion supporting days ever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here