Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool gamesmanship

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If - as an outsider - I lived in Liverpool and had a bunch of friends who supported one of the 2 local clubs, I wouldn't begrudge them at all, but as it is I can't stand them. You see it's not the real scousers I have a problem with, it's their legions of armchairs all over the south of England who all justify supporting Liverpool because they did as a kid (when they were winning everything), as if that's some sort of defence. Yeah but some of us grew out of glory hunting by the time they were 11 and some of us never actually did in the first place. And these people always consider themselves football fans but know absolutely nothing outside the comings and goings of the big six.

On balance, I hope Liverpool fck it up. Ideally City for me, but I'd even be happy if Spurs won it if it meant Liverpool didn't.

Fair enough. To be fair I don’t know much about football in the broader sense and know little about what happens beyond Brighton and other teams headlines I catch in the papers. I don’t think anyone would question my support so I would not hold this against anyone.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't get the anti-Liverpool abuse from many on here. The atmosphere at Anfield is much better than the other "big" teams, especially the two Manchester clubs and compared to City they have so many more proper fans than all the glory tourists at City who were not there when they were shit.
I can't accept any of that. When we played up there in the 90s, you could have heard a pin drop once we levelled it. Come to think of it, before then it wasn't a cauldron of noise.

I'm 47 and in all my lifetime, Liverpool have never been in the doldrums. City have. They were getting 30,000 in league one in the 90s, in the 80s they were getting 25,000 on average despite being a yoyo club between the top 2 divisions, and that was at a time when average gates were half what they are now. Liverpool fans have never ever had their loyalty tested, unless you count "only" winning the FA Cup and a few 6th or 7th place finishes - so you can hardly make a fair comparison with Man City over atmosphere and crowd size.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If - as an outsider - I lived in Liverpool and had a bunch of friends who supported one of the 2 local clubs, I wouldn't begrudge them at all, but as it is I can't stand them. You see it's not the real scousers I have a problem with, it's their legions of armchairs all over the south of England who all justify supporting Liverpool because they did as a kid (when they were winning everything), as if that's some sort of defence. Yeah but some of us grew out of glory hunting by the time they were 11 and some of us never actually did in the first place. And these people always consider themselves football fans but know absolutely nothing outside the comings and goings of the big six.

On balance, I hope Liverpool fck it up. Ideally City for me, but I'd even be happy if Spurs won it if it meant Liverpool didn't.

You see I have a bit of sympathy for these 45-50 something year old armchair supporters because most of them don't know any difference. As a kid I "supported" them because they were the first team I can remember on TV winning the FA cup in the days when there was one match a year on TV. I didn't discover BHAFC until my best mate took me to an away game in Jan 83.and from then onwards I got what a supporter really was so there was only one team from then onwards. Had I not done that I feel I could possibly still be one of those fans in a similar way that to the NFL. I "support" the Seahawks because when I first started watching NFL on TV when it first came to channel 4 they had a close name to Seagulls and they are still my NFL team today.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpeg

You what?:yawn:

image.png

Well done Harry, good equaliser :)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sod "romance" or "nostalgia". One of the few remaining consistent themes of English football of the last 25 years is "Liverpool find new and ever more hilarious ways of failing to win the league". Other teams have come and gone (Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester, City, Tottenham, Newcastle, Blackburn) but apart from United Liverpool are the only team to have been consistently good. And they've always ballsed it up.

I don't want to see Liverpool win for the same reason I don't want to see Wil E Coyote catch the Road Runner. It's more entertaining watching him fail than watching him succeed.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
To think VVD could have been a Brighton player a few years ago, but Celtic were prepared to pay 2.5M rather our 2M bid:facepalm:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There’s some very bitter people on this site. Do you really care about it this much?

I was thinking this too. Although I do concede to hating Man U with a passion (not so much wince Fergy left) and enjoying their decline. I used to enjoy watching Liverpool as a lad and have always found scousers to be decent folk (but then most people are regardless of where they are from) so i think it would be great to see them win the league again. I live in Australia where we have endless plastic kopites, but then there are endless plastic fans from all the big teams. It is the way of the world and not worth getting het up about.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nobody is getting het up or bitter. Its just very enjoyable to witness the persistent failure of a BIG CLUB that has spent billions in pursuit of their 'Holy Grail'. Particularly given the nauseating volume of SkySports-brainwashed DILDOS around the country (and sadly in our own fair city) who proclaim their "undying" allegience to a club hundreds of miles away.

And yes, there are loads of plastics clinging on to various big clubs, like haemorrhoids to a hairy flabby arsecrack. But for some reason, I find the plastic scouse down here to be by far the most irritating. The thought of them parading their faux-joy in celebration of LIverpool being champions makes me feel a bit queasy.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I like listening to a scouse accent, and the Beatles as well. Man City is the most plastic club in the county at the moment.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I like listening to a scouse accent, and the Beatles as well. Man City is the most plastic club in the county at the moment.

I enjoy watching the crest fallen expressions on the faces of City fans when you enlighten them as to their clubs historical and uncanny ability to stuff things up. To me there are two types of fans, the ones who are given a football team by birth or location and those who select a football team. The latter type can be excused if they are children but once you have matured one should really make a choice based on something deeper than league titles or results. My boy is currently 'more Liverpool than Brighton' but I am confident that once he grows up he will be firmly Albion. I was talking about our family plaque at the Amex recently and i noticed the penny starting to drop.

What amuses me is that i struggle to acknowledge fully grown plastics as football fans and usually don't really bother talking to them about football. I play football with a number of United fans and only really bother to talk about football with the one who hails from Manchester (Another is from Croydon and at least he has the good grace to be embarrassed about his ridiculous allegiance). The one that really entertains me though is the one from Hampshire who only ever talks about them when they are doing well and is always greeted with "Oh yeah, I forgot you supported united I thought you were Southampton".

I try to keep my football discussions with Reading, Newcastle, Huddersfield and other supporters of their allotted teams . One observation I have is that these supporters will always have a chat about their teams fortunes as compared to the other lot who will often dismiss conversations with "oh we're shit at the moment" which just about sums up their glory hunting ways.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
I enjoy watching the crest fallen expressions on the faces of City fans when you enlighten them as to their clubs historical and uncanny ability to stuff things up. To me there are two types of fans, the ones who are given a football team by birth or location and those who select a football team. The latter type can be excused if they are children but once you have matured one should really make a choice based on something deeper than league titles or results. My boy is currently 'more Liverpool than Brighton' but I am confident that once he grows up he will be firmly Albion. I was talking about our family plaque at the Amex recently and i noticed the penny starting to drop.

What amuses me is that i struggle to acknowledge fully grown plastics as football fans and usually don't really bother talking to them about football. I play football with a number of United fans and only really bother to talk about football with the one who hails from Manchester (Another is from Croydon and at least he has the good grace to be embarrassed about his ridiculous allegiance). The one that really entertains me though is the one from Hampshire who only ever talks about them when they are doing well and is always greeted with "Oh yeah, I forgot you supported united I thought you were Southampton".

I try to keep my football discussions with Reading, Newcastle, Huddersfield and other supporters of their allotted teams . One observation I have is that these supporters will always have a chat about their teams fortunes as compared to the other lot who will often dismiss conversations with "oh we're shit at the moment" which just about sums up their glory hunting ways.

spot on. I was a Leeds fan in 70s till I grew up !

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
[MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] has got this one right. Liverpool fans are unbearable at the best of times as they somehow believe it is only the kop that can create an atmosphere. They also believe they are the only fans to have a drought of success that still contains a Champions League trophy they fluked. Watching them throw this away would be highly amusing.

As for your point, I live in the Midlands but haven't met an unbearable Leicester fan following their title win.

I'm team city all the way.

The irony is the Kop after the first 2 minutes is dead.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
The funny thing is Liverpool actually got it wrong and helped Leicester so their defenders not slip at a crucial time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here